Interesting article on angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Do we really need an article to know that Baldies are better cows than pure Angus?

sim.-ang.king said:
How dare you imply that Angus is inferior in any way to crossbred cattle!
Balies, Super Baldies cows are money making machines

I am not sure how a "Terminal Line" Angus is really bad at all, I mean for the Angus purists that have old lines like Wye genetics on their cows, I am sure that crossing them Terminal Angus bulls will only bring them more $$.. Or am I missing something here?

gaurus said:
sim.-ang.king said:
How dare you imply that Angus is inferior in any way to crossbred cattle!
Balies, Super Baldies cows are money making machines

I am not sure how a "Terminal Line" Angus is really bad at all, I mean for the Angus purists that have old lines like Wye genetics on their cows, I am sure that crossing them Terminal Angus bulls will only bring them more $$.. Or am I missing something here?
Terminal in the sense that lower fertility and other problems plagues the females; feet, udders, disposition,... I think that
you will find that any folks with much Wye in the herd are minimal. Crossbreeding is a good tool for making end product cattle.

I saw this earlier today on Facebook. In our thread that got locked we discussed epd's and the chase of extremes, which most agree has been a disaster for the breed. But I wonder, how do we correct it, everyone claims they have maternal cows, maternal genetics, maternal this or that.

Poultry and swine industries aren't what I want to see happen with the beef industry.

I do agree with the author however, in that the current trend is likely biting the breed in the butt. I'm sure he has the data to back the statement up. Subjectively, it appears that way just looking at herds across the local area. His calling for distinction of lines is the new attempt of the Angus breed (he's involved with Black Opal) in having their cake and eating it also.

There are breeds within breeds and you can cross that for a commercial or terminal animal. But you'll never get the heterosis of crossing outside the breed.

I can moreso understand the continental breeds trying to focus on improving maternal traits in an attempt to take more of the female market share, since they dominate the herd.

I find it interesting that Angus breeders have focused so much on terminal traits. But that goes back to CAB and the influence on turning hides black.

Guess they are starting to see the hickup in the race to be the terminal breed of choice plan.

There has been two kings in the cattle industry, first were Herfords, then came the Angus, common sense tells you that that is a hard cross to beat, just my :2cents:

haase said:
There has been two kings in the cattle industry, first were Herfords, then came the Angus, common sense tells you that that is a hard cross to beat, just my :2cents:
A old man told me years ago.""that I'd never do any better than a herf/ angus cross""" and it seems if your not chasing rabbits are trying to reinvent the wheel..it's a great cross too pay the bills..

Hook2.0 said:
CreekAngus said:
I saw this earlier today on Facebook. In our thread that got locked we discussed epd's and the chase of extremes, which most agree has been a disaster for the breed. But I wonder, how do we correct it, everyone claims they have maternal cows, maternal genetics, maternal this or that.
The epd's need to be revamped. If im not mistaken, each breed association sets the standard baseline. I like angus, but they aren't the perfect breed the association claims them to be
My .02

I think if you pay attention to the EN, you can identify more "maternal" genetics, then I select from there.

haase said:

That they are. But we could get into a 10 page argument of what to put over them.

ALACOWMAN said:
haase said:
A old man told me years ago.""that I'd never do any better than a herf/ angus cross""" and it seems if your not chasing rabbits are trying to reinvent the wheel..it's a great cross too pay the bills..

Yep. I like a baldy. Always have. Like a super baldy even better. I've got a handful of F1 Braford heifers I've raised that I bred to a SimAngus bull. I really like the results of that too. Ain't got nothing bad to say about Angus. But I like a cross for what I do.

I am really liking this thread. I appreciate and value baldies. Just need to get my hands on some Herefords from a certain gentleman down in KY to improve my Hereford girls.

Yes, it's that MrVictorDomino stock

Not really sure that there's much to argue about, when it comes to a two way cross, of course there will be some say on that, but it's just grasping at straws, when it comes to 3 way then it's a whole different ball game, Vince used to have some good input on that.

bball said:
I am really liking this thread. I appreciate and value baldies.

If you can't get your hands on F1 Baldies, get yourself a true breeding Baldie AKA Black Hereford :cboy:

I was going to comment on the other thread about EPD's but guess it is gone. IMO there is a reason Hereford bulls and other breeds are replacing Angus bulls. CE and curve bending genetics are two leading reasons. And worthless EPD's. Actual numbers are all I want too see when buying bulls now due too the misleading EPD's. Our baldie calves at this time are our best set this year. Angus and Herefords both need to get back to raising solid, functional, well muscled, fertile cattle with longtivity. If they don't commercial breeders will continue too seek what they desire elsewhere.

elkwc said:
Angus and Herefords both need to get back to raising solid, functional, well muscled, fertile cattle with longtivity. If they don't commercial breeders will continue too seek what they desire elsewhere.

I think this issue is with American Angus and Herefords right? Or is this issue also with Angus from Scotland and English Herefords? Do Red Angus also follow the American Angus EPDs?

Latest posts