Vent

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl580

Reaction score
and not the air duct type either. just outta curiousity, how many of ya'll have actually had to shoot a neighbors dog after repeatedly telling them, 'hey your dog is bothering our livestock?' or something along those lines?

well, i shot our neighbors boxer today, again, only this time it wasn't with BB's, it was with a .22 rifle. guess i busted one of his back legs when i did it, too. he called and said he had never been told that his dog/s were over here and bothering our livestock and our dog. well, to make a long story longer, he's complaining and saying he's either going to have to kill the dog or have the vet fix his leg and that if he sees our dog over on his place he will kill it. my mom, dad and myself have all told him and his wife time after time that if any of them come over again and chase the horses, kill any more cats, or bother the cows that he will be shot. i'll felt bad afterward for the dog, but i was sick of him trying to screw our dog and chasin the livestock. course, his response is always a variation of 'i moved out of town so that i wouldn't have to chain my dogs up. i want them to be able to run.' whatever. ne way. just waiting for the sheriff to show, if he called, to talk to me.

okay, i'm done now. thanks for listenen'. well, reading anyway.

I shoot all dogs that I find on my place . No reason for them to be there. But you made 2mistakes 1. You told your neighbor . 2 You used to small of a gun. Move up to a 270 or 30-30 . ,Kill them don't just hurt them.

That's why I don't shoot dogs or cats with a .22 anymore. Doesn't always kill 'em first shot and I don't want them running home.

cowgirl580":3qs03jse said:
and not the air duct type either. just outta curiousity, how many of ya'll have actually had to shoot a neighbors dog after repeatedly telling them, 'hey your dog is bothering our livestock?' or something along those lines?

well, i shot our neighbors boxer today, again, only this time it wasn't with BB's, it was with a .22 rifle. guess i busted one of his back legs when i did it, too. he called and said he had never been told that his dog/s were over here and bothering our livestock and our dog. well, to make a long story longer, he's complaining and saying he's either going to have to kill the dog or have the vet fix his leg and that if he sees our dog over on his place he will kill it. my mom, dad and myself have all told him and his wife time after time that if any of them come over again and chase the horses, kill any more cats, or bother the cows that he will be shot. i'll felt bad afterward for the dog, but i was sick of him trying to screw our dog and chasin the livestock. course, his response is always a variation of 'i moved out of town so that i wouldn't have to chain my dogs up. i want them to be able to run.' whatever. ne way. just waiting for the sheriff to show, if he called, to talk to me.

You made a few mistakes.

In answer to your question - yes I have. Long story for another time.

Your mistakes:

1. Use something bigger.
2. Never warn your neighbour.
3. Never say a word to ANYONE.
4. Bury the critter or throw it in a coulee - long ways away.
5. When he comes asking - your answer - "Never seen it but if I do I will call"

Then invite him in for a coffee and some lunch. Might as well be neighbourly.

Bez!

milkmaid":nzfrm7qp said:
That's why I don't shoot dogs or cats with a .22 anymore. Doesn't always kill 'em first shot and I don't want them running home.

didn't want to kill it this time. maybe i should have though. i coulda killed it with the .22, he was only about 25 yds away or so. we warned him becuz we was bein neighborly. see ya'lls point though. won't worry bout feelings next time, his or mine. oh well, just part of life i s'pose.

cowgirl580":194a4fk6 said:
milkmaid":194a4fk6 said:

didn't want to kill it this time. maybe i should have though. i coulda killed it with the .22, he was only about 25 yds away or so. we warned him becuz we was bein neighborly. see ya'lls point though. won't worry bout feelings next time, his or mine. oh well, just part of life i s'pose.

Do NOT EVER say that again.

You point a gun - you intend to use it. Then use it right.

Keeps the complications down to a minimum.

In future use my original suggestion and you will never have trouble with a neighbour. This one will forever be a problem now.

Best regards,

Bez!

when dogs are bothering livestock you kill them.an when you shoot at them the intent is to kill them.your misstake was not using a high powered rifle.there has been meny dogs killed here for bothering an killing calves.honestly a neighbor wont let his dog out of the house now.b/c it has killed chickens guienies an turkeys.an if its seen here wont be no more talking.itll beshot on the spot.

cowgirl580":2uyjiyxp said:
milkmaid":2uyjiyxp said:

A rule I live by -- never use a gun, unless you intend on burying (or eating) the target.

This is a prime example of the Triple "S" Rule.
Shoot
Shovel
Shut Up.
Trespass Dogs= Dead Dogs. Dont shoot to run off, shoot to kill!

I could be wrong but in TX if the dogs bother you shouldn't. Shoot the darn critter. Don't warn, and make damb sure your hit it between the eyes. I love dogs as much as anyone, but my stock is my life. Your dog is not.

Scotty

I do not envy the relationship you will most likely have with this neighbor now! Should have did like Bez and others suggested.

Cowgirl,

Can't go back and change what's been done. I would have used a bigger rifle, and I never shoot to hurt. I don't believe dogs are smart enough to remember that you don't want them on your place.

I would call the police first. Report it to them. Chances are, they will have dealt with livestock problems before and can handle it. If the dog was on your land, and you felt they were threatening your cattle and you had previously warned the neighbor, their is no jury or judge in the world (well maybe in PETA land) that would find you guilty.

Next time use a .243 or bigger. With that, anywhere you hit them, they will die. You could always go the route of buying a donkey and watching a donkey kill the dog.

cowgirl580":t088jb6t said:

Yes, a few dogs have been shot, some were ours and some weren't. The neighbors don't get warned, the dog gets one warning - a well placed 30-06 under his/her belly - the next time they are dead. Too many problems from dogs running livestock - it isn't tolerated from our dogs, why would it be tolerated from the neighbors dogs?

The only mistake you made that I can see is attempting to explain the problem to your neighbor and not shooting to kill, followed by playing dumb. I truly do not envy you the new relationship with your neighbor.

Crowderfarms":31umnenk said:
Shoot
Shovel
Shut Up.

Three minutes late! Phone rang while I was typing. :(

jkwilson":2gc8gm0y said:
Crowderfarms":2gc8gm0y said:
Shoot
Shovel
Shut Up.

Three minutes late! Phone rang while I was typing. :(
Hey JK, we're on the same page. :lol:

Yes, I have shot more dogs then I can count. We have some neighbors that if you shoot one dog they get 3 more to replace it. :mad: They run free and are always on our place. We have warned them on multiple occasions to keep their dogs tied up. They don't listen. I have had a calf killed that I raised on a bottle by these dogs, I have witnesses to this. I have shot their dogs in my front drive with them watching me do it (I would not reccomend this BTW) I have called the sheriff multiple times and he told me if a dog was on our place to shoot it and there would be no questions asked. I believe they're gotten fined for letting their animals run loose. I know they've gotten fined for burning in a burn ban (I wonder who called in that tip? ;-) )

Point is, the law here states that if a dog is bothering, chasing, ect. your livestock you have the right to defend your livestock.

Next time shoot farther forward.

I use SSS also. Best not to let the neighbors know who might be gunning for their dogs so don't warn them. I have shot my share but the owner is the one who should be shot in my book except that would be against the law of course. ;-)

Latest posts