Vent

Help Support CattleToday:

There is not a dog been born thats worth the price of a calve. Four years ago we lost 5 calves in three weeks. Findly shot one but new there were others. Went and told the neighbors that if i saw a dog other than mine on my place i would shot it. Also told them if they saw my lab on thier place to shoot it because it was not suposed to be there. From Sept. to March that year i shot 44 dogs. It seems a lot of city folKs think ranchers in the country need more dogs, If i want another dog i will go get one.

yeah, ya'll are right. next time i'll just kill the damn things and not worry about it till its time to figure out how to start and run the backhoe. i'd would say our relations improved, now i don't have to worry about talking or being nice to the neighbors we were not thrilled to have to begin with. the only forseeable probably would be that my mom has to work with his wife at the post office. could have been and interesting day for my mom. and for my youngest sis too. she goes to school with all 3 of the kids, plus a niece and/or nephew. thanks for ya'lls comments and suggestions. needed to vent cuz i was a little shaky, never had to shoot anything but a deer or elk, and that's entirely different as it is how we eat. have a good monday.

TXBOBCAT if you were talking about my lab, NO. He is only out when i am out . If i am on the tractor he is right in front of me. If i am in the 4 wheeler he is right in front of me or at a tank or waiting at the gate for me to open it. He is sort of spoiled.

Yeah had a guy move in the area from Galveston had 13 dogs wanted them to run free. All the neighbors warned him about dogs running loose in this country had better be a hound trailing something and someone trailing the hound with a collar and name tag.
His dogs went to disappearing he would drive the country roads looking for them couldn't believe his dogs would do anything wrong as they were always at home during the day, they were working nights on chickens, cows and everthing else.
When he got down to two dogs finally figured out what was happening and built a pen.

PS get a 45-70 turn's them inside out.

Ihad a deputy tell me that if it is on my land I can shoot it. Two years ago almost all of our range chickens were killed by two dogs that just ran around killing them and would leave them lay. It happened while we were both at work and a neighbor told us. You bet your booty that then they came back we were waiting for them. Peppered one on his ugly butt and the other one never came back.

I have three dogs and I would expect that if they started killing animals someone would do the same thing.

Caustic Burno":2k90zldl said:
Yeah had a guy move in the area from Galveston had 13 dogs wanted them to run free. All the neighbors warned him about dogs running loose in this country had better be a hound trailing something and someone trailing the hound with a collar and name tag.
His dogs went to disappearing he would drive the country roads looking for them couldn't believe his dogs would do anything wrong as they were always at home during the day, they were working nights on chickens, cows and everthing else.
When he got down to two dogs finally figured out what was happening and built a pen.

Does anyone still make a rifle in 45-70 caliber? How would it compare to a 44 Mag in short range? I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag revolver, and been thinking of adding a Winchester 94 Traper in 44 Mag to compliment it.

aplusmnt":3pwkdd4q said:
Caustic Burno":3pwkdd4q said:

Does anyone still make a rifle in 45-70 caliber? How would it compare to a 44 Mag in short range? I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag revolver, and been thinking of adding a Winchester 94 Traper in 44 Mag to compliment it.
Several Co.'s Still make em' Marlin, Winchester, if CB will show here for the GitTogether, I'll show him what a .450 will do.

All dogs- On a leash, tied or penned, or in the house. Loose
if under supervision only. ;-) Hit a shepard with my pickup
truck that was running the horses-- grave yard dead :mad:

TXBobcat":tj0md1ct said:
cowgirl580":tj0md1ct said:
....and that if he sees our dog over on his place he will kill it. .

Does your dog run loose?

normally she runs loose yes, but the only time she has ever been over on his place is when she has followed the other dog/s home when she's in heat, so far about 3 times in the last few years, and she knows she's in trouble when she does, too. i pulled up this last time and she didn't even wait for me to get all the way into the neighbors driveway. she was waitin for me when i got home. she knows her boundaries, doesn't bother the animals. chases the cats, but doesn't kill them. its more like, if they run she gives chase. if they just stare at her she leaves them alone. she's a newfoundland, so she is very gentle. won't hardly go into the field with us with the cows cuz they chase her. but i digress. she is penned up right now as she is in heat. we will let her out within the next week or so.

cowgirl580":10sw2bb5 said:
TXBobcat":10sw2bb5 said:
cowgirl580":10sw2bb5 said:

Does your dog run loose?

normally she runs loose yes, but the only time she has ever been over on his place is when she has followed the other dog/s home when she's in heat, so far about 3 times in the last few years, and she knows she's in trouble when she does, too. i pulled up this last time and she didn't even wait for me to get all the way into the neighbors driveway. she was waitin for me when i got home. she knows her boundaries, doesn't bother the animals. chases the cats, but doesn't kill them. its more like, if they run she gives chase. if they just stare at her she leaves them alone. she's a newfoundland, so she is very gentle. won't hardly go into the field with us with the cows cuz they chase her. but i digress. she is penned up right now as she is in heat. we will let her out within the next week or so.

Yeah right this is another dog owner that thinks can't be my dog, but you don't want the neighbors running loose.
Dogs will be Dogs Just like Bulls will be bulls nothing you can do about it.
You really think she has only visited three times.

PS after you turn her out bet if I was your neighbor I could get a shot in a couple of days.

All dogs are bred down through the years to several different breeds. But they all came from wild dogs that hunted and killed their food, and some of this is still in them. Like Caustic said a dog is a dog and thats the bottom line.

New a guy in Oklahoma that raised sheep. Had an old collie on the place, born and raised there and had never harmed another animal. His friend gave him a pit bull pup.
One night after the pup grew up he lost sheep. 10 dead and 12 more had to put down.
Both pit and collie had blood around their mouth.
The collie may have never killed the sheep if not for the pit.

Dogs are like teenage boys, they sorta go with the crowd.Had a big mangey red dog that was in my pasture. I talked to my exterminater (Mr. Winchester) and he got rid of the dog.

Cal

cowgirl580":1o8j9gca said:
TXBobcat":1o8j9gca said:
cowgirl580":1o8j9gca said:

Does your dog run loose?

Once you let her loose I bet you will not have her for very long. Neighbor will make sure of it most likely. I would keep her tied up or in a pen.

we shall see. she hasn't run off when the sheep come thru or bothered them. had some of their dogs come on our place, but no problems other than that.

cowgirl580":egqtt7ny said:
we shall see. she hasn't run off when the sheep come thru or bothered them. had some of their dogs come on our place, but no problems other than that.

Wish I had money for every time I have heard this type of comment.

Bez!

Bez!":2kn4tcjk said:
cowgirl580":2kn4tcjk said:

Wish I had money for every time I have heard this type of comment.

Bez!

I bet I could bait her over. Got to be careful when you go to making enemies with the neighbors. A box of 22 shorts and a few gut shot cattle who got the last laugh.. Pen your dog Shoot Shovel and shut up.

What makes it difficult here in Tennessee is that dogs are protected by law the same as livestock. If you kill a dog without proof that it is a danger to your stock it is a class 3 felony. If it is female and registered you can be held liable for the cost of all of the pups that she may have had in the future. I had a friend who accidently ran over a coon hound at night when it ran across the road in front of him. It's back was broken so he put it out of it's misery with a .22 pistol. He met the hunter down the road and explained what happened. The hunter got a warrant for his arrest that night. He went to jail and wound up settling out of court for 4,500.00 and the hunter dropped the charges. We have dogs that cross our place all of the time. They ignore our stock and in the last 3 years we have had no incidents of the dogs harrasing or attacking any calves. If they ever start I will most definitley practice the 5 S's.

ok.....meant to say 3s's. When you work as long in manufacturing the 5s thing kinds rolls off the tongue.

Latest posts