Venereal Disease in cows and horses?

Help Support CattleToday:

pacadowling

Reaction score
Ive got a question posed to me by my next door neighbor. I didnt know the answer so I'll pass the question along to yall. My neighbors were getting ready to have their heifers and mares bred when someone told them that their animals would have to be tested for venereal disease before breeding. Do animals get this disease too? :lol:

Not the traditional ones that humans get. I suppose they could but it would take a pretty strange individual to pass it to them.
I don;t recall the names of the ones that cattle get but those are what we typically refer to as STDs (Sexually Transmitted Disease)

dun

i know bulls can get vd.an give it to the cows at breeding.but i dont know about studs.talk to your vet to really confirm about stds in cattle an horses.to confirm what shots you need to give them if any.scott

The 3 veneral diseases in cattle that I'm aware of are Brucellosis, Vibriosis, and Leptospirosous (sp?). Brucellosis can be passed from one animal (including elk to cattle) to another through eating the afterbirth. Vibriosis is passed to cows from the bull, I believe. and I'm not sure how Lepto is transmitted.

There is another disease that bulls can get besides vibrio, but I cannot remember what it is.

I don't know what the veneral diseases that affect horses are, but you could find out http://www.thehorse.com. Just do a search for veneral disease.

Trichomonosis is a TERRIBLE STD in cattle. I had a neighbor that lost a whole crop (over 200) calves one year that came from bulls that had trich.

buckaroo_bif":nc13xon2 said:
Camp I believe Lepto is transmitted usually from urine of infected animals.
bif

Thanks, buckaroo! Appreciate the information. :)

BTW - there are vacinations for all these diseases. Vibrio and Lepto are ones's that we vacinate from every year at workup. Anytime you buy a non-virgin bull you should get them run through a series of Trich tests. We did that on the only non-virgin bull we bought. It was a several week process and 3 vet visits, had to keep him quarinteened during the whole process.

Latest posts