Vehicles

Help Support CattleToday:

No, I'm not joking, but I no longer have a picture of it afaik.. I gave lots of my old pictures away to the kids when they were all 4 down here a few years ago. Figured it was just time to divvy them up now instead of them going thru all my crap after I died.

My first car was a 1965 Ford Galaxy 500, 2.door hardtop. Automatic. 350hp. White with blue cloth interior. Wrapped it around a couple of fence posts and a bunch of barbed wire on rainy night. Until then, I wasn't familiar with the term hydroplaning.

Greybeard-later on I had a '66 Corvette convertible. Both tops. 426 big block turning 515 hp. Then a 1970 LT-1 Corvette convertible. Silver with black leather interior. 350 small block turning 375 from the factory. Last one was an 82 T-top that wasn't anything special.
My Dad said almost the same thing as yours. Whatda want that thing for? Only two people can ride in it and you can't haul any fence posts or barbed wire in it.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
Greybeard-later on I had a '66 Corvette convertible. Both tops. 426 big block turning 515 hp. Then a 1970 LT-1 Corvette convertible. Silver with black leather interior. 350 small block turning 375 from the factory. Last one was an 82 T-top that wasn't anything special.
My Dad said almost the same thing as yours. Whatda want that thing for? Only two people can ride in it and you can't haul any fence posts or barbed wire in it.
you can ..I can,show you a man that did.. checked cows and fixed fence out of his 67 427... But they were soggy deep in money..finally just a few years back, had it professionally restored.. its now stored in a controlled facility..along with his dad's 36 ford coupe..they still have some old steel wheel tractors in the old barn. Original too the farm..he's even got the old confederate money.. :cowboy:

Wow. Mine came with a loan from the bank and a payment book.
The '66 went to a collector in Dallas.
The '70 went to a guy in Vancouver, WA. He had it painted red. I thought I'd die.
The '82 was traded for 10 bred heifers. I couldn't hardly give it away.

I like the looks of the new ones and they are scary fast.. But after 73 they lost it... And Through the Late 80S and 90s id just soon have a yugo...

ALACOWMAN said:
Chocolate Cow2 said:
you can ..I can,show you a man that did.. checked cows and fixed fence out of his 67 427... But they were soggy deep in money..finally just a few years back, had it professionally restored.. its now stored in a controlled facility..along with his dad's 36 ford coupe..they still have some old steel wheel tractors in the old barn. Original too the farm..he's even got the old confederate money.. :cowboy:
When we moved to Wisconsin I still had a '91 Jaguar XJS, convertable, V12, red. This was definitely before cattle but we did live in the country. I took his truck to run errands in town & he was plowing the driveway (So. Much. Snow!!) and somehow managed to get the tractor stuck in the ditch. He knew I'd be gone a while so, always the innovator, pulled it out with the Jag. Way to White Trash my ride!

He did end up getting a '02 Corvette (again, red convertable) when he had his midlife crisis but it didn't last long; he's 6'5" and looked ridiculous getting in/out. The struggle was real!

TCRanch said:
ALACOWMAN said:
Chocolate Cow2 said:
When we moved to Wisconsin I still had a '91 Jaguar XJS, convertable, V12, red. This was definitely before cattle but we did live in the country. I took his truck to run errands in town & he was plowing the driveway (So. Much. Snow!!) and somehow managed to get the tractor stuck in the ditch. He knew I'd be gone a while so, always the innovator, pulled it out with the Jag. Way to White Trash my ride!

he's 6'5" and looked ridiculous getting in/out. The struggle was real!
Those years were reinforced down the rockers panels I would have too squat down beside one stick my head and upper body in first then swing my lower half in..sitting in a tub...

ALACOWMAN said:
snoopdog said:
ALACOWMAN said:
actually a pretty rare car, with the BIg Block..had a RS/SS big block camaro for about a week and a half...before I left the engine scattered from my grandmaws to the gas station...it took me a couple of those rat engines before I figured out you couldnt twist them up as tight as a small block..
It held together for a couple of years, street racing, till I missed a gear, and flat spotted a rod bearing.

I bought a 68 chevelle in seattle off of the original owner SS/396 with a synchronized 3 speed on the floor, good solid car. Wish I had em both back.

My second ride was an old 1951 M-38 Army Jeep. With those 538 gears and a 4 banger you would have to drop it off a cliff to get it up over 50 mph. It had a homemade wood cab. Take the cab off and the windshield went with it. So in the summer when I took off the top and wore ski googles. But I was 19 and cool driving around with no top or windshield. There was an old battery box just in front of the windshield on the passenger side that just fit a half rack of beer. A tool area under the passenger seat that held another half rack. All nicely out of sight.

Dave said:
My second ride was an old 1951 M-38 Army Jeep. With those 538 gears and a 4 banger you would have to drop it off a cliff to get it up over 50 mph. It had a homemade wood cab. Take the cab off and the windshield went with it. So in the summer when I took off the top and wore ski googles. But I was 19 and cool driving around with no top or windshield. There was an old battery box just in front of the windshield on the passenger side that just fit a half rack of beer. A tool area under the passenger seat that held another half rack. All nicely out of sight.
If it didn't get over 50 what did you need the googles for?

snoopdog said:
ALACOWMAN said:
snoopdog said:
It held together for a couple of years, street racing, till I missed a gear, and flat spotted a rod bearing.

I bought a 68 chevelle in seattle off of the original owner SS/396 with a synchronized 3 speed on the floor, good solid car. Wish I had em both back.
i still have the old Muncie 3 speed that came in this car..but it ain't going back..unless something happens to the M20.

I waited most of my life to get a muncie 4 speed, and what was it in? An 84 2.5 4cyl Fiero... But that was a fun drive on a twisty road.
I was--still am 6'4" so getting in the corvette was a bit tricky, but only when the top was up. Getting in those Fieros was a lot harder and was the reason we got rid of the last of them in 2017. (At one time, I had 5 of them here)

PSA/FYI... You cannot put a powerglide into neutral, wind up a 283 as high as it will go and drop it into D.
You will leave powerglide parts and transmission fluid all over the pavement under the only redlight in some podunk little town near Little Rock and find yourself being towed back to Memphis across I-40 behind your buddy's 72 SS Camaro hooked together with the only thing either car had in their trunks..2 tire chains tied together....at 60-70mph. Try that today, they'd put you under the jail, but heck, it was about 3 in the morning and back then, that interstate was pretty empty.

I don't know how fast mine would go on the open road, as the speedo cable was 'sticky' and over 95, the needle bounced back and forth from about 85 to nearly 160 but I do know it wouldn't outrun a 12 cyl XKE.
I tried, for about 80 miles on I40 one fine Sunday afternoon and we leapfrogged back and forth for a while till he pulled up beside me for the 3rd or forth time, looked over right at me, smiled and waved bye bye and , as they say..he was gone.

ALACOWMAN said:
hurleyjd said:
Porkchopfat said:
3000 rpm, dump the clutch walla no more differential.
Slant six in a Rambler?
American motors ..used every thing they could get.,they were like a box of chocolates...
My first car was an AMC made J 4000 Jeep pickup. It had a motercraft carb and Chevy seatbelts. I really wonder if AMC just raided the dumpster at the big three factories and built their cars out of whatever they found. 360 with a three speed in the floor. Tached 3500 rpm at 55 mph and got 5 mpg. I had to get rid of it when gas hit $3 and I was only making $6 an hour.

ez14. said:
Dave said:

Bugs in the eyes.

Dave said:
ez14. said:
Dave said:

Bugs in the eyes.

My old 57 Chevy would do about 60 pedal to floor. If you opened the vent in front of the windshield you needed goggles. It would blow all the dirt off the floor into your face.

Think many of us learnt how to drive on a tractor but what was the first vehicle you drove?

My dad had a Chev El Camino, he would take us kids to the open lands and put us through our paces. When he was confident that we were able to drive he would jump on the back with his shotgun and we would have to take him shooting :p

When my younger brother and I were a little older(spose early teens) we would wait for my folks to fall asleep at night, push the El Camino out the garage and down the road. As soon as we thought we were out of earshot we would start it up and go for a merry drive. When we returned we would cut the truck's engine almost at the garage and then push it in. They never knew a thing :D

Learned to drive in 46 Chevy truck with no bed in a pasture..me and my uncle who was just 6 years older,took turns once when we were changing sides,didn't shut my door good... And he launched me like a rocket in a hard turn.we had a blast..

Latest posts