Vegetable oil

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle said:
TexasBred said:
5S Cattle said:
Interesting. Corn is my highest price commodity. How much vegetable oil could I get away with putting into my feed and how much corn would I not have to put in?

5S vegetable oil will cost you around $.65 a pound. Not a good replacement for corn and really seldom will fit into a beef cow ration. Utilized more in horse feeds and show feeds.

I can get used vegetable oil for free is what I was saying.

Well the price is right. Heck I'd go for it.

Did half of what I usually do tonight because I'm runnin short on time. 5 gallons mixes well into 1400 lbs. Also, everything smells like chicken fried steak now and I'm starving :lol2:

5S Cattle said:
HDRider said:
My cousin does with his stockers. His wife runs a restaurant and he gets it all.

Mind asking how much he puts per ton?

I just talked to him. He puts 15 to 20 gallons to 5,000 pounds. That mix will also have about 7 to 800 pounds of ground corn in it.

His mix will have whatever else he can scrounge up, cotton seed, hay, silage, whatever.

We use 6gallons/ton. Yes it is for "show" cattle. I would use it even it was not for show cattle. It eliminates dust issues.

BEFORE MY OLD GELDING DIED....

I USED TO GIVE HIM an eight ounce cup full in his feed every evening just to up his energy intake....his teeth were going bad and he would only eat so much at a time....had to soak it all into a mash...the oil really helped him...

Thanks hd. I've been doing a ton of corn, 600 lbs of cotton seed, and three alfalfa squares to a batch. I'll be putting about ten gallons of vegetable oil to this mix and give it a bit to see how it does.

I've used veg/corn oil successfully on show stock. Especially for continental bred steers, it worked well to help put on that extra condition and improve coat/hide health. In fact, I had Titan on it over the winter. He got sick and really run down going in to winter and could not take in enough calories to put some cover back on him. I drizzled about 1 cup on his hay (fork fed) once a day for about 2 months. I used whatever was on sale at the local grocery stores. Now he is back with the cows and quickly looking more like his old self. He just needed that extra intake of pure fat every day to get over the hump, so to speak.

I realize that is an old thread, but am I correct that too much fat in a cow's diet will affect the functioning of the rumen? Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall reading that at some point.
Glad you brought this up. I was thinking of trying this too, but my nutritionist advised against it for the very reasons you mentioned.

Rule of thumb, max 1lb of fat / oil phpd. Anything more and you will begin to depress fibre digestion in the rumen. Fats/oils are digested only post rumen. Rumen bacteria cannot use it. (think pouring chicken fat down the sink and on into the septic system) Yes, all energy, no other nutrients, Sometimes very cheap energy. Good luck!

Latest posts