Vegetable oil

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
Anybody mix this with their feed? My sister owns a restaurant and I can get about as much as I want. Only thing I've used it before to do, is coat the inside of bulk feeders that had surface rust. Wondering how it would do in feed. Thanks

I haven't used it, but I've seen it listed in feed labels before, tho I have not really paid any attention to it lately. I believe there may be some kind of BSE related rules on using uncleaned/non-reclaimed cooking oil nowadays since it might have bits of meat left in it. Texas Bred would probably be the one to ask.

Saw a strange looking truck parked at the local coffee shop the other day. Asked the guys about it and they were hauling restaurant grease that had been cleaned. Said they were taking it to a feed company. The nutrient should be there (energy) and hopefully it won't have a foul odor.

The company I work for does this, cleans and reclaims grease. 2 grades , feed and industrial, industrial goes to the biodiesel folks, and yes there is quite a bit of particulate matter in the restaraunt traps, so don't know that effect if fed as is.

snoopdog said:
The company I work for does this, cleans and reclaims grease. 2 grades , feed and industrial, industrial goes to the biodiesel folks, and yes there is quite a bit of particulate matter in the restaraunt traps, so don't know that effect if fed as is.

Might have some "bacon bits" in it Snoop. :lol2: :nod:

TexasBred said:
snoopdog said:

Yeah, we run a lot through a shaker screen, and I've seen just about everything in it, but that's picking up at multiple places. I would take the restaraunt trap and use it if I had a chance, especially if I had some poor hay, which I do this year. The "bacon bits" are part of the solids that I spread for fertilizer {see my other thread}, once its processed it's just organic matter. :p We get 1 to 2 end dump loads of noodles from a major tv dinner manufacturer per day, if it didn't have all the other junk in it, plastic and stuff, I'd feed it.

snoopdog said:
TexasBred said:
snoopdog said:

Yeah, we run a lot through a shaker screen, and I've seen just about everything in it, but that's picking up at multiple places. I would take the restaraunt trap and use it if I had a chance, especially if I had some poor hay, which I do this year. The "bacon bits" are part of the solids that I spread for fertilizer {see my other thread}, once its processed it's just organic matter. :p We get 1 to 2 end dump loads of noodles from a major tv dinner manufacturer per day, if it didn't have all the other junk in it, plastic and stuff, I'd feed it.
Veg. oil should have the same nutrition after bacon as it did before. Maybe even more. :nod: If that plastic is very small it shouldn't hurt anything either especially if it's very thin stuff.

I think I'm going to mix about 10 gallons in the next feed I make. If nothing else it should make their coat nice and shiny? :lol2:

uplandnut said:
Wife adds cooking oil to mineral tubs for her horses in the spring, she believes it helps them shed there winter fur?

Don't know about that but should soften up the biscuits.

Not sure who told her it but she's done it every spring for at least 15 years. Soaks down a 200lb tub and puts them out. She's happy so I just go with it. :D

The bulk feed Ive been getting I have them mix in soy oil to reduce the dust. Does this add and nutritional value? I used to use molasses, but they convinced me to switch

T & B farms said:
The bulk feed Ive been getting I have them mix in soy oil to reduce the dust. Does this add and nutritional value? I used to use molasses, but they convinced me to switch

Fat is pure energy. About 3 times the energy of corn.

TexasBred said:
T & B farms said:

I'm just now seeing this. You saying the soy oil has more energy than molasses? Either one have any protein?

T & B farms said:
TexasBred said:
T & B farms said:

I'm just now seeing this. You saying the soy oil has more energy than molasses? Either one have any protein?
If you're talking about just plain old molasses it has a little bit of protein but not enough to really raise the nutrition level of a ration. Vegetable oil has no protein but is extremely high in energy. Just very expensive.

Interesting. Corn is my highest price commodity. How much vegetable oil could I get away with putting into my feed and how much corn would I not have to put in?

5S Cattle said:
Interesting. Corn is my highest price commodity. How much vegetable oil could I get away with putting into my feed and how much corn would I not have to put in?

5S vegetable oil will cost you around $.65 a pound. Not a good replacement for corn and really seldom will fit into a beef cow ration. Utilized more in horse feeds and show feeds.

TexasBred said:
5S Cattle said:

5S vegetable oil will cost you around $.65 a pound. Not a good replacement for corn and really seldom will fit into a beef cow ration. Utilized more in horse feeds and show feeds.

I can get used vegetable oil for free is what I was saying.

Remember to keep the % fat no more than about 7% of total ration. That includes fat from any corn or other ingredients too.

Some years back I was on a tour at a fairly large feedlot. Among other things they fed was potato slurry (the peels) from the huge potato processing plant nearby. They also mentioned vegetable oil. It wasn't a huge part of their ration but it was there. I assumed that those same potato plants cooked some of their product and this feedlot got their old oil. Interesting that the biggest feedlots in the PNW seem to all be located near potato processing plants.

Latest posts