Vegetable Fat

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
Does/Has anyone use(d) vegetable fat to increase the energy content of their feed? If so, what type or recommendations. I was wanting to mix a higher energy ration for my feeder steers without increasing the starch load to much. I plan to keep the total fat content around 4%.

I use it--
The amount you can include depends on how much fat is in your other ingredients.
The Max is 4-5% in the total ration.

If you are going to use it make sure you keep it consistent- going on and off of high fat rations can negate the good fat inclusion can do.

Howdyjabo":21p67zej said:
I use it--

Did you mean the Mix 30 from Dun's post or veg fat? If you meant fat, can I ask what type and where you get it. and how you mix it in with your feed? Also, how/where do you get the specific nutritional data for it (CP, TDN, Fat, or MCal info etc.) in order to calculate the total ration nutritional data.

I've seen various stuff called "Fat Powder" advertised to the dairy folks as a feed additive. Does anyone have any experiance with it or something similar.

I use waste veggie oil- mostly from frying
I can get it from two sources- directly from a restaurant or from bio diesel manufacturers(too contaminated for their use).

Its all fat -with some water(the trash settles to the bottom and I leave it there) . The amount of water varies.
Insignificant values on everything else.

Heres the figures I use to calculate with
94% DM
215.9 NeM
159.5 NeG
177 TDN
94% Fat

I have a mixer and I add it to a TMR

Howdyjabo":39ryqa4p said:
I use waste veggie oil- mostly from frying
I can get it from two sources- directly from a restaurant or from bio diesel manufacturers(too contaminated for their use).

Its all fat -with some water(the trash settles to the bottom and I leave it there) . The amount of water varies.
Insignificant values on everything else.

Heres the figures I use to calculate with
94% DM
215.9 NeM
159.5 NeG
177 TDN
94% Fat

I have a mixer and I add it to a TMR

Just the info I was looking for.
I actually collect waste vege oil also to help lower my diesel fuel costs. I've been thinking about sending some of what settles in the bottom of the 1st stage of my fuel processor out for analysis to see if I could use it as a feed supplement. You have pretty much answered that question. Thanks

Just to be safe---
The contaminated oil I get is whole loads that they got in that they couldn't use--- its not something they had left over.

dcara":1tftvzka said:
Howdyjabo":1tftvzka said:
I use it--

Did you mean the Mix 30 from Dun's post or veg fat? If you meant fat, can I ask what type and where you get it. and how you mix it in with your feed? Also, how/where do you get the specific nutritional data for it (CP, TDN, Fat, or MCal info etc.) in order to calculate the total ration nutritional data.

I've seen various stuff called "Fat Powder" advertised to the dairy folks as a feed additive. Does anyone have any experiance with it or something similar.

Dry fats are good sources of energy but often cost prohibitive and also not real palatable. Don't think it would be feasible for a beef cow operation unless you could get it deeply discounted. Megalac and EnergyBooster or just a couple of "big name" dry fats but there are many available. Cost will be somewhere around $.75 a pound.

Latest posts