Van's Excellent Adventure

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC

Reaction score
Well, the wife is gone for a couple of hours and I've got to get this off my chest, so I guess you're elected. I'll try to keep it short, but it's kind of involved, so bear with me. Here goes:

I go outside to empty the garbage this morning and notice that one of my tires looks low. I check all four and, sure enough, the right rear is down about 10 PSI. No big deal, I'll run up to the Mobil station and put some air in it. After all, I know exactly where their air hose is. I put a load of laundry in the washer figuring I'll be back in a couple of minutes in case something goes awry. (I'm kind of paranoid that way).

So I hop in my car, drive to Mobil, and pull up to where the air hose has been for as long as I can remember. I walk around the car and, what's this?, the air hose has been replaced by a brand new coin operated car vacuum. I look around the lot but can't spot what I want. I go inside and ask the cashier and she tells me they replaced the old air hose Friday and will be putting in a new one Monday. Oh, well.

No big deal. There's a Shell station right up the street. Surely they've got an air hose. So I drive up there, cruise the lot, and spot one. I pull up next to it, get out, and dig for the 75 cents it requires. I go to feed it but, alas, there's a piece of tape over the coin slot with the words "out of order" written on it.

OK, I'm starting to get a little miffed but I'm still good. There's a BP station right across the street and, lo and behold, I can see the air hose from here! I'm saved! So I drive over, pull up to it, put in 75 cents and.......nothing. No noise, no air, nothing. Now they've crossed the line! :mad: I'm ticked! Bound and determined to take out my frustrations on the poor, innocent cashier inside, I fling the hose to the ground, take two steps toward the building and, voila, the hose starts to work. So I collect myself, mumble a little prayer of thanks, and put the air in the lousy, stinking tire that started this whole mess.

OK, I'm happy again, so I decide to reward BP with a little business by topping off the tank. I'm hoping that the people across the street at Shell will see that good things come to people that keep their air hose in good, working order. So I pull up to the pump, run my MC, grab the nozzle and, dam!, the tank is on the other side! (In my defense, I've only had this car for a couple of months and still haven't gotten used to the tank being on the opposite side from the car I drove for the previous ten years).

By now I'm afraid to look inside the building for fear of seeing the cashier laughing his butt off at the complete idiot I've become. So I sheepishly set the nozzle down and turn the car around. By now the pump has apparently timed out, so now it's beeping at me and telling me the transaction is complete. Wondering what the MC people will think of my $0 transaction, I run the card again, fill the tank and thankfully head for home. End of story. Well, not quite.

Remember the load of laundry? That's right, the hose has somehow gotten disconnected from the drain, it's run through the wash cycle, and there's enough water on the floor to irrigate 40 acres of corn. Not only that, the dog decided it would be cool to walk through it a few times and then check out the entire house. So, almost two hours after my initial 5 minute trip, all is well, except I'm now afraid to leave the house for any reason. Thanks for listening. :D

Van- I understand completely some days are like that. I had one Friday but I totally understand why you are holed up for the rest of the day. GOOD LUCK Tomorrow. :lol: JLP

oh no Van :shock:
That just plain sucks :mad:
Hope you had a shop vac. and that all is well.
Wishing you a better day :cboy:

i was thinking he needs a pancake air compressor at the house.i know you wasnt happy to come an find the floor flooded.esp after having a hard time finding an air hose that worked.

Van, I know that stinks. Good thing is your wife was not there so you don't have to be reminded of this every day until the eulogy at your funeral. I for one am a staunch supporter of a gas station that supplies me with free air and windshield squeegies and if given a choice I will not buy any fuel that doesn't offer these services.

Van that was one heck of a day, I hate it when the air pumps don't work at the station. We have a small electric compresser, and a portable one that goes into the cigarette lighter to fill the tyres for that exact reason. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you. sorry about the washing machine also. a double whammy.

All is well, and there was no permanent damage from the water. I can see the humor in the whole thing now. I am definitely going to invest in a small, portable air compessor. I figure a 4 or 5 gallon one will be more than enough for my needs, and they're not too expensive. If I had half a brain I'd already have one, and this whole thing could have been avoided. :oops:

VanC":1zzbug9b said:
All is well, and there was no permanent damage from the water. I can see the humor in the whole thing now. I am definitely going to invest in a small, portable air compessor. I figure a 4 or 5 gallon one will be more than enough for my needs, and they're not too expensive. If I had half a brain I'd already have one, and this whole thing could have been avoided. :oops:

Your Jr. Senator will be proud of you!

john250":pgkveld2 said:
VanC":pgkveld2 said:

Your Jr. Senator will be proud of you!

On behalf of the good people of Illinois, I would like to humbly apoligize for giving you.....uh..... our Jr. Senator. :lol:

Well you can laugh already so that is very good,,,,,,,,,,you know the old saying sh*t happens and it's gonna happen to you........ :lol2:

I feel for you because I have the same sign saying "been there done that".. :dunce:

Thanks for the story ,,it gave me a good chuckle,,,,,,,sorry. :tiphat:

That was a good story ~ had to laugh! Real life is so much funnier than the jokes.
Too bad you had the run of bad luck but thanks for sharing. I will laugh about that now and again for the next few days I think.

PS ~ the air in Mn is free at the gass station. Next time drive here and save your quarters. :nod:

You gotta love the stations with the pay air. Half the time around here, it won't have any pressure if they run at all. We just use the air compressor but again, my hub has it wired strangely and I am afraid I will electrocute myself, so unless it has air in it, I'm screwed. I do live down the road from the Lopez Boys, and they can fix me up if I have a flat in five minutes for eight dollars, cash please. And they will pay you back in ones if you get change. Damp and greasy ones...

The Crossfire has the tank of the wrong side, too. I have done that before!!

Latest posts