vacination protocals ?

Help Support CattleToday:

trappersteve

Reaction score
I know this has kinda been beat to death but I would like to know everyone's vaccination protocol for all ages of cattle (young calves, yearling heifers and mature cows) . I have talked to a Guy down the road and he does no vaccinations at all and he looses a couple of calves a year (mostly to blackleg) . I use the alpha 7mb1and virashield 6 yearly should I be using something different on older cows? One of the main reasons I was asking was I vaccinated Saturday and forgot and left my vaccines in my box and forgot and left them in there til today, so im going to have to buy some more.

trappersteve":35131kei said:
M5farm":35131kei said:
Ultra bac 7 and vira shield for everything. Spring and fall.
Thanks m5 so I need to give it twice a year instead of just in the spring?
That is what my vet recommended. I worm twice a year and while I got them caught I give them their blackleg and virashield.

M5farm":2ifn2q9d said:
trappersteve":2ifn2q9d said:
M5farm":2ifn2q9d said:
Ultra bac 7 and vira shield for everything. Spring and fall.
Thanks m5 so I need to give it twice a year instead of just in the spring?
That is what my vet recommended. I worm twice a year and while I got them caught I give them their blackleg and virashield.

What wormer are you using M5?

All-
Deworm-Injectable or tube spring and fall.
Clostridial 8-way spring and fall.
IBR/BVD type I & II, BRSV spring and fall
Lepto 5 spring and fall.
Seleniun spring and fall.

Heifers get Brucellosis vac at weaning. (from vet only.)
Rabies and Anaplasmosis and Trich is considered.

Birth-
Selenium
Vit A&D
Intranasal IBR/PI3
Oral Rota/corona (Calf Guard)

Deepsouth":2laqdws2 said:
M5farm":2laqdws2 said:
Ivomec injectable in spring and fall.

Do you use anything in between like safe guard blocks or something?
Not usually, I do keep a jug of pour on that I will use in summer if some look like they need it. I don't have to pen them to use the pour on.

I have always used Ivomec Plus, but my vet feels the BEST way is to go directly to the source in the gut and tube worm. So I have started tubing with Valbezan.

branguscowgirl":26zm0mgd said:
All-
Deworm-Injectable or tube spring and fall.
Clostridial 8-way spring and fall.
IBR/BVD type I & II, BRSV spring and fall
Lepto 5 spring and fall.
Seleniun spring and fall.

Heifers get Brucellosis vac at weaning. (from vet only.)
Rabies and Anaplasmosis and Trich is considered.

Birth-
Selenium
Vit A&D
Intranasal IBR/PI3that looks like alot to keep up with, how do you do it
Oral Rota/corona (Calf Guard)

that looks like alot to keep up with, how do you do it

It really is only working them twice per year and getting the calves when they hit the ground.
Most of mine get halter broke, so they are being handled at some point and hauled to fairs in the summer. So they have to be well protected. But this is the protocol the vets recommend anytime, whether hauled or not.
Oh, and bulls or females consigned to a (Registered) sale are given additional vaccines according to what is required by the sale.

A good vaccination program, and boostering the initial vaccinations per the manufactures recommendations, is how we (as cattlemen) have controlled the horrible outbreaks that have killed entire herds in past years. I believe if people slack off on this, these diseases will emerge again with vengeance. Think about Polio. The flu. Ect.
I understand it is very controversial on this site. But this is how I believe.............And what the vet recommends.

Branguscowgirl, I noticed you give them selinium twice, my question is this I give a hi mag mineral that has selinium in it. Is there a test to see how much is present in the cow? The area where I live has very poor soil and that would be useful to know. And are they getting enough from the minerals .

I think this should answer your question. Yes, you can test your cows. You need to know how much is in your mineral mix. The part that did not transfer here, stated that cows do not always transfer Selenium through their milk adequately. So it is recommended to give Selenium at birth, and until they are consuming adequate minerals. I need to talk to my vet about it, and will let you know, but I think that he likes the slow release bolus put down their throat. I may switch to that in the future.

Selenium Makes a Difference
by Bill Beal, beef cattle reproductive physiologist, Virginia Tech

Selenium (Se) is a "micromineral" required in very small quantities in the diet of beef cattle. However, if the diet of a beef cow is deficient in selenium, symptoms such as nutritional muscular dystrophy in calves (white muscle disease), infertility, abortions, stillbirths or retained placenta can occur. The proper level of supplementation of selenium depends on the geographical location of the herd, the amount of selenium provided in the feedstuffs, the selenium concentration of the mineral supplement and the daily intake of mineral.

Breeder question No. 1
I am an Angus breeder with about 75 cows on a farm in south-central West Virginia. I feed my cows a trace-mineral mix free-choice, year-round. The tag on the trace-mineral salt I feed to my cow herd indicates that it contains 15 (parts per million) ppm of selenium. Is that enough to avoid a selenium deficiency?

Response: I feel like a politician, but this question requires a long-winded answer, beginning with, "it depends."

Regardless of where you live, beef cattle require a minimum of 0.1 ppm of selenium in their daily diet [National Research Council (NRC) recommendation]. For a mature cow [1,400 pound (lb.)], that is an intake of about 1 milligram (mg) of selenium per day.

The amount of supplemental selenium that needs to be provided by a trace-mineral salt mix depends on the amount of selenium in the feed(s) your cows are consuming. In turn, the amount of selenium in the feed is dependent on the selenium in the soil where the feed was grown. If you live in a county where the soil is deficient in selenium (soil level <0.5 ppm), then it is possible that the forage or crops grown there take up less selenium from the soil, and your homegrown feed is low in selenium (<0.1 ppm).

There is a web site where you can check the selenium level in the soil of your county as reported by the U.S. Geological Survey here.

You live in Fayette County, W.Va., and the reported selenium level in the soil for your county (0.22 ppm) is considered low. This is not surprising. Concentrations of selenium in the soil depend on the rocks from which the soil was derived. The Northwest, Northeast, Southeast and Great Lakes states generally have lower (<0.05 ppm) soil selenium concentrations because the soils in those areas were derived from volcanic deposits or well-washed coastal deposits. Soils originating from cretaceous shale, such as those found in South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico, tend to have higher soil selenium concentrations.

Because you live in a selenium-deficient area, it is recommended that you feed a trace-mineral mix containing added selenium. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) allows the sale of free-choice mineral mixes with up to 120 ppm selenium. However, the legal limit for selenium intake is 3 mg of selenium per day.

The mineral mix you use is relatively low in selenium, 15 ppm. However, if your cows consume the recommended 2 ounces (oz.) per day, they should be receiving approximately 0.85 mg of selenium each day from the salt mix. With the selenium supplied in their feed (even if the feed is low in selenium), the daily intake of selenium by cows in your herd should be ≥1 mg, the minimum recommended and well below the 3-mg legal limit set by the FDA. In other words, based on the NRC recommendations, you should not have a selenium deficiency if your cows are consuming the appropriate amount of mineral each day.

Lower-than-expected mineral intake and antagonists to selenium absorption (e.g., high-sulfur/sulphate feeds) can reduce the amount of selenium available to the animal. Symptoms of selenium deficiency (late-term abortion, retained placenta) on some Virginia farms have persisted even after feeding free-choice mineral containing 15 to 26 ppm of selenium. When those producers began using a "high-selenium" mineral mix (60 to 80 ppm), the symptoms of selenium deficiency disappeared.

Let me close with the reminder that you and your veterinarian can check the selenium status of your herd by collecting blood samples from the cows. By collecting whole blood samples from five randomly selected cows in your herd and having them analyzed by the state diagnostic lab for selenium concentration ($15-$30 per sample), you should be able to determine if your selenium supplementation program is adequate. Whole blood levels of selenium can be used to classify cows as deficient (<0.08 ppm); marginal (0.08-0.2 ppm); adequate (0.2-1.2 ppm); or high (>1.2 ppm).

Breeder question No. 2
Last year I switched my breeding/calving season from spring calving (February-April) to fall calving (September-November). I had several cows and heifers give birth 30 days prior to full term (stillborn calves). I also had a high rate of retained placenta (18%). My vet said it was a selenium deficiency, and we injected all the cows with a vitamin E/selenium supplement. We have been on the same free-choice mineral supplement (26 ppm selenium) for years. Why did we have this problem this fall, but never before?

Response: Your selenium supplementation program is based on a common company recommendation that assumes cattle consume up to 4 oz. of mineral per day. By supplying a free-choice mineral with 26 ppm selenium (equivalent to 0.73 mg per oz.), if your cows consumed the full 4 oz. per day they would get just less than the 3 mg per day of selenium allowed by the FDA. That amount of selenium, in addition to the selenium in the feed, should prevent symptoms of selenium deficiency.

However, seasonal variation in the amount of selenium in forage and variation in the intake of mineral by cows in your herd may have placed cows in your herd in a deficiency status prior to the fall calving season. Unknown to you, your herd may have always been marginally deficient for selenium at that time of year, but the extra metabolic demands of late gestation and lactation occurring in the fall for the first time may have pushed your cows into a selenium-deficient status.

The injection of a vitamin E/selenium supplement (Mu-Se,® Schering-Plough Animal Health Corp., Union, N.J.) was effective short-term therapy in your herd. However, injectable products are expensive and only provide adequate supplementation for 28 to 45 days. Devising a long-term strategy for adequate selenium supplementation through a dietary mineral source prior to your next breeding season will be important for your herd. This may involve increasing the selenium added to your salt mineral mix above the 26 ppm you have been using. You can ask your mineral supplier to go up to the 120 ppm legal limit allowed by FDA (see previous).

CAUTION: Selenium can be toxic if fed in amounts greater than 5 mg per day. In regions of the country where soil concentrations of selenium are high (>0.8 ppm), feeding of trace-mineral supplements containing selenium may be detrimental or dangerous. Be sure to check with your veterinarian, nutritionist or Cooperative Extension agent before deciding on a mineral program for your herd.

Editor's note: This article comprises the February "Repro Tracks" column in the Angus Journal and is provided as an example of Angus Journal content. Written by Dr. Beal, "Repro Tracks" is published six times per year. To subscribe to the Angus Journal, click here. Beal is a beef cattle reproductive physiologist at Virginia Tech. He conducts research involving estrus synchronization, artificial insemination, embryo transfer and the use of ultrasound technology. This column is designed to provide answers to questions about reproductive management commonly posed by commercial and purebred breeders. If you have questions or comments related to the reproductive management, of cows or bulls, e-mail them to him or mail them to him at the Dept. of Animal & Poultry Sciences, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061-0306.

Comment on this article.
[Click here to go to the top of the page.]

Calves get 8way and BRD vac at around 2 months on average. I wait until the last calve is about a month old and cut and vac everything together. 8 way again and wormed in about 6 weeks. Older cows get nothing but wormed spring, summer and fall with Cydectin injectable. Heifers I keep get a booster one time.

Latest posts