Vaccination for calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Pitbulljim

Reaction score
like to get on a good vaccination program for my new RA calves, asked a few people and got different answers. What should I be giving these calves and when? Sure would appreciate some advice, I only have 9 heifers and got one on the ground this Saturday with the other 8 soon, I hate paying the vet to do something that I can do.

Pitbulljim":33tjvhfh said:
like to get on a good vaccination program for my new RA calves, asked a few people and got different answers. What should I be giving these calves and when? Sure would appreciate some advice, I only have 9 heifers and got one on the ground this Saturday with the other 8 soon, I hate paying the vet to do something that I can do.

Going to want to vaccinated against BRD with a Bovi-shield 5 Gold or similar product and have a 7 way blackleg with somnus shot as well. We vaccinate against pinkeye when we run them through.

We give our replacement heifers Ivermectin pour on wormer, Triangle 10 for BVD and other things and Ultrabac 8 for black leg but we are soon going to switch to Alpha 7 for blackleg once we finish off the bottle of Ultrabac 8.

Jake what do you give for Pinkeye? We don't have much pinkeye problems but just in case we start I would like to know a good medicine to use.

All the above advise is good sound advice and with prices as high as they are certainly take care of your investment. However, in 44 years of cattle I've Only given blackleg and occasionally pulls/shots for scours. I really believe people go way overboard vaccinating and messing with their cattle. Every bit of time and money you spend on your cattle is up to you. Just saying you don't need to vac for every cotton picking thing...if your are buying Stockers or replacements its best to error on caution. Raising your own, no! Best advise: whatever are problems in your area, vac for it!

Big Cheese":3vv4gfsy said:
We give our replacement heifers Ivermectin pour on wormer, Triangle 10 for BVD and other things and Ultrabac 8 for black leg but we are soon going to switch to Alpha 7 for blackleg once we finish off the bottle of Ultrabac 8.

Jake what do you give for Pinkeye? We don't have much pinkeye problems but just in case we start I would like to know a good medicine to use.

It changes every year. We had a two years in a row where it was really bad in our area, something came in that gave everybody a 80% treatment rate on pinkeye. Local vet had an implant made based upon the strains that were causing it and that knocked it out immediately. Last year we just used an injectable but I don't remember what brand. I will see if I can find an empty bottle.

On avg vac'd calves brought $258 more per head here in the fall, vs unvac'd.

Now its not just a matter of the vac, but generally people with good vac programs produce better calves and manage them well. But the results speak for themselves.

2J Ranch":2ariaaxo said:
All the above advise is good sound advice and with prices as high as they are certainly take care of your investment. However, in 44 years of cattle I've Only given blackleg and occasionally pulls/shots for scours. I really believe people go way overboard vaccinating and messing with their cattle. Every bit of time and money you spend on your cattle is up to you. Just saying you don't need to vac for every cotton picking thing...if your are buying Stockers or replacements its best to error on caution. Raising your own, no! Best advise: whatever are problems in your area, vac for it!

We started giving the Triangle 10 because we had a BVD problem and started having dead calves. BVD is no joke it can really hurt your business.

So I'm sure there is probably a list of recommended vaccines(calves, cows, Bulls, etc)by someone tried searching but unable to find list. Would appreciate advice. Thanks

Drzr":2jolu90e said:
So I'm sure there is probably a list of recommended vaccines(calves, cows, Bulls, etc)by someone tried searching but unable to find list. Would appreciate advice. Thanks

Consult your local Vet.

skyhightree1":3g59ddr8 said:
Drzr":3g59ddr8 said:

Consult your local Vet.

I know that sounds a little short but I have to agree. Speak with a Vet on what they recommend for your area. I vaccinated cows today that will go to the Bull next month. They got Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5 L5 HB, Alpha-7/MB-1 which includes the pinkeye vaccine and Ivomec Plus injectable.

fitz":nwj72p3i said:
skyhightree1":nwj72p3i said:
Drzr":nwj72p3i said:

Consult your local Vet.

I know that sounds a little short but I have to agree. Speak with a Vet on what they recommend for your area. I vaccinated cows today that will go to the Bull next month. They got Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5 L5 HB, Alpha-7/MB-1 which includes the pinkeye vaccine and Ivomec Plus injectable.

It certainly does! Thanks for your reply!!!

Latest posts