UTV

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I,m looking at Kawasaki UTV's. The diesel costs $1300.more than the gas powered. My question is, With regular service as required, How many hours of trouble free use have you got out of yours with out major repairs ? And with the price of fuel, would you be ahead to buy the diesel? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks :cboy:

One went 13 years the other 16 before major work wa needed. I wouldn;t have the diesel on a bet. Had one and hated it. Too loud................

Dun, Thanks for the reply. What brand did you buy. I would like to buy an American made product. I want the best value for my $. :cboy:

kerley":230zonye said:
Dun, Thanks for the reply. What brand did you buy. I would like to buy an American made product. I want the best value for my $. :cboy:

I don;t think there are any actual american made ones around. Maybe the bobcat, but I'm not even sure about that. Ours have all been Kawasaki Mules. The Mules are the diesel we hadd that would cause deafness, even the new models. The Kubota diesel isn;t as bad from the noise standpoint. But it still isn;t as quiet as the gas Mules.

I have two gas Mules and one Kubota. I will never buy another Mule again. We have had nothing but repairs on the Mules (one is a 2001 and the other 2003) - one comes out of the shop the other goes right on in. Our Kubota diesel is less than one year old and so far no problems. The noise is quite tolerable, the ride is better than the Mule, the seat is much more comfortable and higher and therefore more comfortable for a tall person. I love the standard hydraulic dump and the power steering. When I bought the Kubota in June of last year, they offered $500 off the price if you would finance it for one year. Cost of finance was $36 for the year - I'm not stupid, I financed the darn thing.

Billy

My mule did good for about two years of regular use. After that I started having to buy the most expensive parts I ever bought. Thought I was buying parts for a F-16 or something. I went back to using my 1987 Toyota 4WD P/Up. It will haul more, goes everywhere the mule went and when it does break, I go to the local auto parts and get what I need for 30% of what the mule parts would have been.

Baydog, you are right on. Ours started going bad about three years out.

The oldest Mule will get it's third starter in the near future.

Billy

Mr Billy, Baydog. What kind of trouble did you have? Did you buy your units new? What do you use them for and are they gas or diesel.? :cboy:

Kerley- My unit was new. I got it several years ago for checking cows, fence repair, just normal light duty type ranch work. After about 3 years with normal routine maintenance and adult driving the unit started running rough. The mechanic at local dealership said to remove carb intake and file down a ridge inside of it. Didn't help any. Replaced the starter once. Cost more than any truck or tractor starter I ever bought. After that the centrifical clutch went out. That and the new drive belt cost over $800 with me doing the install. Some other transmission problem developed after that so I just parked it. After about 4 years of use, I had about $1400 in just parts and needing more.
I bought a used Toyota 4WD p/up with a bad trans in it. I put a completely rebuilt trans in it, a new carb kit and counting purchase price, I now have about $1500 total in the truck. I don't register or insure it since I use only on this place. I did have to replace the starter a year ago and it cost me $42. I put a full toolbox on it and now have all my fencing equip, shovels, post driver, vet supplies all in one place. When I go to check cows and fences, I have most everything I need to fix any problems I find. It's not pretty but WAY cheaper to operate than the Mule.-Gary

I must have gotten the only 4 good mules ever made. The 2 old ones that left and the 2 new ones that replaced them

The 2001 now has 3500 hours on it and the 2003 has 1500 hours (both gas) both bought new: 2001: front cv joints out, two starters out one going right now and will need replacement, clutch out, drive belt replaced several times, valve covers replaced due to leaks, seals replaced on water pump due to leak, seat foam replaced, only used by adults for farm chores, both Mules are hard starters, particularly in the cold, the Kubota starts easily.

All have had normal maintenance done on farm and at dealer. Most of the major repairs have been on the 2001, the 2003 had a couple belts replaced so far but has only one half the hours of the 2001. The 2001 might have been a lemon, and the 2003 hasn't had a major failure yet, so I shouldn't make a blanket statement about Mules until we see what happens down the line with the 2003. I still prefer the Kubota for ride and comfort and ease of handling in tight places and when doing spot spraying.

Billy

MrBilly":2bf0bdlf said:
both Mules are hard starters, particularly in the cold, .

Billy

The 2 culinder ones can be a pig, the single lunger starts easier then most cars. Of the ones we got rid of, the 16 year old was a single and started and ran fine, the 13 yeare old was a 2 cylinder and had alwasy been a pig to start. They claim they've fixed that problem but the newer ones are as bad as the older one. I only know one person with the kubota version. He bought a package from kubota with a tractor, brushhog, loader, blade, trailer and the 4 wheeler. The brushhog has been replaced by the dealer ticew, both with less then 2 hours one thme, gear box, the 4 wheeler has been in the shop more in the 2 months he's had it then the worst lemon of any vehicle I've ever had.
I wonder if a lot of the problem with all of these vehicles is that they're shipped to the states in parts and the local yokels assemble them.

Dun, There is a lot to be said about assembly. One of my first jobs after the military was at Gereral Motors. Units come down the assembly line [200 in 8 hours then] If someone got behind, they would do what they could and start the next unit. Many vehicles were shipped with incomplete assembly. I believe that practice is the beginning of the Lemon. My neighbor has three Mules, two gas and one diesel. He has had no major problems yet. Tom :cboy:

Baydog & Mrbilly. I have been told that the Kubota is the Cadillac of the UTV. I certainly don't know. I don't need a machine that is always in need of repair. I wish both of you better luck with yours. Tom :cboy:

We use them all, Kubota is no Cadillac by any means. Its made for hard packet surfaces... not off road. YOu can actually bog them down so that they won't spin the tires. Has to do with their trany. For what a Kubota costs I would get a POLARIS Ranger... and I hate Polaris.
2-1.jpg

Belts on a MULE are part of maintance. I have over 200hrs on my belt now and I do not take it easy either. IF you want you MULE to fire up a little quicker, put an NGK spark plug in. It will fire up quicker and idle better. Starters can be abused real easy...
Mule2.jpg

MULE010.jpg

Dun, I honestly did not doubt you for a second. Brute, I thank you for your input. I would just feel jipped if I bought a lemon. Thanks everyone. Tom :cboy: :cboy:

I also suppose it's possible that the new improved models aren;t as solid as the old antiquated one were.

Latest posts