Utility Vehicle???

Help Support CattleToday:

I love my gator. Very seldom use the truck around the farm anymore. 5 gallons of gas goes a looooooooooooong way. Much cheaper to operate than the 1 ton, and no problems.

OklaBrangusBreeder":2q7a4vs7 said:
Brute 23":2q7a4vs7 said:
The Kubota will run you $10K easy,,, you can get Mules for $8K.
I like the Kubota but if you get it in a bind it will bog down and not spin the tires.

My dad just bought a used Jeep Wrangler for $12,000. That seems like a much better investment to me. He uses it to check stock between the farms.

Why in the world would anybody pay $10K for something you can't even take on the road. I just never have understood this whole "product area". Looks like way to much $$$ for far too little usefulness to me.

I'll agree with you there 100%. I have a $600 EZ-GO Marathon golf cart with a steel bed and it will do anything an $8,000-$10,000 Mule will do. I fenced the whole place using that thing, rolled out the barbwire, tied off to the posts, hauled concrete for the corners, everything. Used the tractor for the post driver and digger and hauling water for the concrete in the spray tank. I haul all the mineral and feed to the pastures and use it to switch the cows from one pasture to the other, so when they see the golf cart coming across the pasture they run to it like their long lost mother! I put 1800-8 tractor tread tiller tires on it from TSC for $40 each and I can go just about anywhere I can go on a tractor. I've hauled bricks and rocks and when I was cutting up old cotton pickers to haul for salvage, I had my oxy-acetylene rig in the back with all the tools as well. Handiest thing since sliced bread. I even converted an old LP gas tractor fuel tank into a compressed air tank and mounted it on an old golf cart front axle and welded a tongue on it to take compressed air out to the fields to air up tires or use an impact wrench. All that for $600.

Now that said, you can buy beat up 4 wd pickups all day long, running, for $500, and use that to run around the farm in, and I'd do that LONG before I spent $10,000 on a utility vehicle! I can foard about 6-8 inch deep water with the golf cart before the belt gets wet and you're stuck. You MIGHT get across 8-10 inch deep water with a utility vehicle before you're stuck, but you could cross 2 foot deep or more water with a good 4wd pickup, and haul a LOT MORE than you ever could with a UV. Personally, I like the lightness of the golf cart for little jobs, and when it's too wet or the water's too deep I take a tractor, and if I'm doing high speed/heavy towing/ long distance work I use the pickup. We use the golf cart for spraying too; works great hitting huisache and mesquite bushes with Remedy/diesel mix using an electric powered spot sprayer. BUT it's not worth buying a $10,000 machine! You could buy a GOOD used 60-70 horse tractor for that and still do you're spraying, feeding, hay work, post holes, subsoiling/land work, etc. MUCH better use of that kind of money. For a lot less than a UV would cost, you can get a 35 horse tractor like a Ford 2310, 4610, etc. utility tractor that would be a LOT more use than a UV, while still being just as mobile and a HECK of a lot tougher!

Just my 2 cents! OL JR :)

My cows are trained to my Cub Cadet. They know that it's where the range cubes come from. The advantage that I see with a UV is the ease of getting in and out of it while doing the job. You can just sit down to get in and step out to get out. On a project like fence building getting in a pickup or jeep and climbing on a tractor really gets old after about 50 or more mounts and dismounts.

And, they're a lot of fun.

Jim62":2thnhxjq said:
My cows are trained to my Cub Cadet. They know that it's where the range cubes come from. The advantage that I see with a UV is the ease of getting in and out of it while doing the job. You can just sit down to get in and step out to get out. On a project like fence building getting in a pickup or jeep and climbing on a tractor really gets old after about 50 or more mounts and dismounts.

And, they're a lot of fun.

What Jim62 said.

I now have two Mules and one kubota. I prefer the Kubota. Being 6'3" tall, the Kubota is much more comfortable because the seat is higher. I really like the power steering and the power lift which comes standard with the model I have (900).

What I don't like is Kubota recommends to change the oil and filter, the transmission fluid and two filters, the steering oil AND the lift oil every two hundred hours. That is costly, and time consuming.

I think it also rides better than the Mule, but is not as zippy as the Mules.

Billy

My neighbor cuts across his pasture to visit me on his kawasaki, mule 3010 diesel. It is amazing the places we go in it. I was surprised how well it traversed our ajoning properties without the use of the four wheel drive. We both have severe RA. Mobility is sometimes very difficult for us. It is just very uncomftorable for me as I have longer legs. My question is Has anyone raised the seat to allow more leg room and how difficult is the procedure. I also notice that the Gator appears to have more leg and foot room than the Mule. Any information would be helpful. Thank you Kerley

I am also 6' 3" and a solid #250.

It seems tight if you only ride in the MULE every now and then,, but once you get use to the way you sit it is actually very comfortable.

I was also a little worried when I bought my MULE because it felt kinf og funny the way you sit up,,, and it feels like it is pushing you foward. I ride for 6 some times 8 hours in it now with no problems.

Have a look round and see if you can find an old Landrover Series 1 Ute

This vehicle was so far ahead at the time but some how got left behind . You'll find them cheap all over the world -constant 4 wheel drive -low weight - will hang itself from a tree on its own winch so its easy to work on. Handles sand dunes better than the japenese stuff.

kerley":1gya57v0 said:
My neighbor cuts across his pasture to visit me on his kawasaki, mule 3010 diesel. It is amazing the places we go in it. I was surprised how well it traversed our ajoning properties without the use of the four wheel drive. We both have severe RA. Mobility is sometimes very difficult for us. It is just very uncomftorable for me as I have longer legs. My question is Has anyone raised the seat to allow more leg room and how difficult is the procedure. I also notice that the Gator appears to have more leg and foot room than the Mule. Any information would be helpful. Thank you Kerley

I didn't specifically attempt to raise the seat, but my oldest 2510 mule needed a new cushion and the guy put in quite a thick and very comfortable new foam which did raise the seat. That helped. The only thing he didn't take note of is that the original foam was not flat but had a slight incline at both edges. The new seat does not and one feels like they will roll out. That needs to be addressed in the next go around.

Billy

I bought a 81 Jeep Scrambler in 90 for $2850.00 it's still doing everything that I need to do. I named it Nellie Belle. We take the doors and top off during the summer. Easy access. It has the 258 6 cylinder so far we haven't ever got it stuck bad enough that it couldn't get it's self out of. It made it through my sons teenage driving years and fixin to start the grandkids. It's the only thing around here that we haven't wrecked. We've put it in some pretty rough situations. I have broken the engine mounts 5 times in 4 wheel low pulling cedar trees.

Falcon254":3cmndtk1 said:
I bought a 81 Jeep Scrambler in 90 for $2850.00 it's still doing everything that I need to do. I named it Nellie Belle. We take the doors and top off during the summer. Easy access. It has the 258 6 cylinder so far we haven't ever got it stuck bad enough that it couldn't get it's self out of. It made it through my sons teenage driving years and fixin to start the grandkids. It's the only thing around here that we haven't wrecked. We've put it in some pretty rough situations. I have broken the engine mounts 5 times in 4 wheel low pulling cedar trees.

Go Pat Brady, ride Nellie Belle til she drops. Do you take Bullet with you sometimes?

92 Jeep Wrangler, 4 cylinder that runs on fumes, heater and cover in the winter, convertible in the summer. $2600

MrBilly":24kxfoja said:
Falcon254":24kxfoja said:

Go Pat Brady, ride Nellie Belle til she drops. Do you take Bullet with you sometimes?

Sometimes!

Latest posts