Using uncut hay field from last year pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

canoetrpr

Reaction score
Hello all:

I am going to be borrowing my neighbours hay field to pasture my cattle. It has grown good hay in the past but was not hayed last year so the grasses right now are long, brown and dead while the rest of our pastures are starting to get green.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on what I could do to promote grass growth in this pasture through the dead stuff. Should I bushhog the dead stuff, or drag with a chain harrow perhaps?

If you get moisture on it, it will be right for them to eat. If not and you can augment it a bit till the green comes through and will get a big return. In the West we call it stored grass, as good as money in the bank.

CA

If you are going to have this field for more than this year I'd think about mob grazing it, whatever they don't like can turn into fertilizer.

Stockpiled forage depletes in nutrition the longer it sits. If you graze it make sure you put out like tubs. If they don't graze it then shred and let the new grass get a better start. The decomposing grass will benefit the new grass coming in.

I apologize - I'm missing something on the phrase 'like tubs'? Can you help me understand what that means?

Also, is there any downside to me shredding the stuff sitting now other than fuel and tractor time? It is quite high since it was not baled last fall. Not sure if they even got the firs cut? Would it inhibit new grass growth if I shred it any more than if I don't?

canoetrpr":3nr4kmyy said:
I apologize - I'm missing something on the phrase 'like tubs'? Can you help me understand what that means?

Also, is there any downside to me shredding the stuff sitting now other than fuel and tractor time? It is quite high since it was not baled last fall. Not sure if they even got the firs cut? Would it inhibit new grass growth if I shred it any more than if I don't?

All you will lose by shredding it is the feed value currently in the grass, which at this point is likely to be low, and which will be recycled as the cut litter breaks down anyway.
Cutting it will restart quality growth, which won't otherwise happen until it is grazed or trampled or rots standing following warm/wet conditions.

Friends, this helps me quite a bit. I have a brand new bush hog that is just itching to be used on my nearly brand new tractor that I traded up last fall. A bush hogging we will go this weekend!

Latest posts