useless cats

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't you guys realize that if you want your cats to hunt they must have abundant health and vitality? The better you feed them the better they hunt.. no kidding. I have an 18 year old barn cat that is on a pension now. He was born here and I am still paying him back for his previous services. He still kills the odd one and leaves it on my front sidewalk as a gift. ugh Nice kitty kitty.

Vicky,

This is fascinating -- I have a hobby farm, and a multitude of cats (most drop offs) and dogs -- (anyone want a border collie/jack russell cross? :D )

I have to ask, don't dogs need Taurine too?

JUST IN CASE SOMEONE IS INTERESTED :)
Here are my "oops crew"

pupsinplaypen1.jpg

TnWI":3pyawef8 said:
This is fascinating -- I have a hobby farm, and a multitude of cats (most drop offs) and dogs -- (anyone want a border collie/jack russell cross? :D )

you need to contact someone running flyball -
they actually breed border jacks - a fast little dog with the drive to run ...
http://www.flyball.org/

(have friends that compete and have bred their border with a jack for just this combo)

Bama":2b64ttzc said:
msscamp":2b64ttzc said:
Carlos D.":2b64ttzc said:
I use to put out cheap dog food and when they got hungry they would eat that. but mostly they just hunted.

carl

Might want to consider putting out cheap cat food if you want them to stay around - dog food lacks taurine and will cause them to go blind. I also agree with Frankie - if you want them in the barn, feed them in the barn.

I'm lost here
Cats must eat cat food or they will go blind??

They dont need catfood, they just need meat, as long as they can catch a dang bird at least, then they can get taurine

NamVet_Farmer44":37tybjb9 said:
Bama":37tybjb9 said:
msscamp":37tybjb9 said:
Carlos D.":37tybjb9 said:
I use to put out cheap dog food and when they got hungry they would eat that. but mostly they just hunted.

carl

Might want to consider putting out cheap cat food if you want them to stay around - dog food lacks taurine and will cause them to go blind. I also agree with Frankie - if you want them in the barn, feed them in the barn.

I'm lost here
Cats must eat cat food or they will go blind??

They dont need catfood, they just need meat, as long as they can catch a dang bird at least, then they can get taurine

And then we wonder why organizations like PETA have come to be. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I know my grandpa use to always gripe about stray or barn cats. Said they killed baby quail, him being a big quail hunter he hated cats in general.

We do not feed our outside cats, and they sure seem to multiply. Guess they might get into the dog feed at times but mostly I think they hunt for food.

aplusmnt":855pf22b said:
I know my grandpa use to always gripe about stray or barn cats. Said they killed baby quail, him being a big quail hunter he hated cats in general.

We do not feed our outside cats, and they sure seem to multiply. Guess they might get into the dog feed at times but mostly I think they hunt for food.

In order for a non-housecat to be able to hunt for food, they have to be in a certain level of condition. I've had housecats and I've had outside cats - usually the housecats outhunt the outside cats because they were in better overall condition. I learned that lesson years ago - if they are not at a certain level, then they lack the stamina and strength to be able to hunt. What easier target is there for a starving cat than baby birds who are not able to fly? Does that make sense? I'm sure I'm oversimplifying, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say. Yes, a lot of men hate cats - I've always wondered if the biggest reason for that wasn't because they knew the cats were smarter than they were. No, I'm not trying to start anything - just wondering.

msscamp":d3u5flll said:
aplusmnt":d3u5flll said:

In order for a non-housecat to be able to hunt for food, they have to be in a certain level of condition. I've had housecats and I've had outside cats - usually the housecats outhunt the outside cats because they were in better overall condition. I learned that lesson years ago - if they are not at a certain level, then they lack the stamina and strength to be able to hunt. What easier target is there for a starving cat than baby birds who are not able to fly? Does that make sense? I'm sure I'm oversimplifying, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say. Yes, a lot of men hate cats - I've always wondered if the biggest reason for that wasn't because they knew the cats were smarter than they were. No, I'm not trying to start anything - just wondering.

I actually like cats (don't tell anyone though) we have two house cats. Not sure if I am mean or not, I do not even remember how we got our barn cats to be honest. I know I never went and got one to put outside, either got them from strays or was here when I bought the place.

But I do let them survive via the Darwin theory of Survival of the fittest. They better evolve into some good hunters or become extinct.

I love to hunt quail but seems like we have not had any for years in this area mostly due to draught conditions I think. If I did I would probably manage the cats a littler differently.

aplusmnt":32fq688y said:
I love to hunt quail but seems like we have not had any for years in this area mostly due to draught conditions I think. If I did I would probably manage the cats a littler differently.

We have 2 barn cats that we inherited when we bought this place. They were too wild for the previous owners to catch. I throw a little food to them a couple of times a week during the winter. In the 4 years since we've had this farm the quail population has grown considerably. We improved the habitat for them. The cats are definitely hunters. WHen I was out blowing a varmint call one time, one of the cats stalked me. I moved locations about a 1/4 mile and started again and within 45 minutes the cat was stalking me again. They do catch birds, also field rats, mice and the occasional squirrel or rabbit. They also killed a a couple of pet turkeys that my wife was raising.

dun

dun":14zkqcne said:
aplusmnt":14zkqcne said:

We have 2 barn cats that we inherited when we bought this place. They were too wild for the previous owners to catch. I throw a little food to them a couple of times a week during the winter. In the 4 years since we've had this farm the quail population has grown considerably. We improved the habitat for them. The cats are definitely hunters. WHen I was out blowing a varmint call one time, one of the cats stalked me. I moved locations about a 1/4 mile and started again and within 45 minutes the cat was stalking me again. They do catch birds, also field rats, mice and the occasional squirrel or rabbit. They also killed a a couple of pet turkeys that my wife was raising.

dun

What kind of things have you did to help increase the Quail population? I would love to increase ours.

aplusmnt":336t02x4 said:
What kind of things have you did to help increase the Quail population? I would love to increase ours.

Mostly set aside areas that we let grow up in weedy plants, sprayed and killed out a lot of fescue, planted brushy areas, postponed brush hogging the fields that the quial tend to use until after nesting season. Wacked a bunch of dillers, coons and possums.

dun

aplusmnt":25hgn9nh said:
msscamp":25hgn9nh said:
aplusmnt":25hgn9nh said:

I actually like cats (don't tell anyone though) we have two house cats.

You're secret is safe. ;-) :lol: :lol:

Not sure if I am mean or not, I do not even remember how we got our barn cats to be honest. I know I never went and got one to put outside, either got them from strays or was here when I bought the place.

A lot of times they just wander in.

But I do let them survive via the Darwin theory of Survival of the fittest. They better evolve into some good hunters or become extinct.

The 'barn' cats here get a small quantity of dry cat food everyday, beyond that they are on their own.

The birds that our barn cats kill are generally pigeons (at least, those are the only feathers I've seen), so more power to them!

This is my wife's useless farm cat, Tripod. He adopted us a few months ago. Must have been caught in someone's snare trap. He is missing his right front paw. He don't catch nothing but a bunch of naps.

Jack

DSC02848.jpg

This is the resident farm cat, Boots, in action a few years ago. The little blurry thing above her is a mouse. Boots knows more about this farm than anyone.

bootsmouse.jpg

We had a black cat dumped at our house. Turned out to be a pretty good cat, as cats go. My friend who is a vet offered to neuter it for us. Put the poor thing to sleep and when we went to perform the surgery found out it had already been done!
Anyway I trained the cat to jump into the grain bin when I opened the door. The door is up a little because of the drying floor so it was an effort on the cat's part. He got pretty good at getting the mice before they were able to take cover. 'Bout the only cat I have liked. He had a big rat the other day.

two nice looking cats there, it is funny to watch them when they are hunting. Mine like to hunt toads. don't know where they find them as there are no ponds near us. :roll:

jack.diamond":1dfjwl1i said:
This is my wife's useless farm cat, Tripod. He adopted us a few months ago. Must have been caught in someone's snare trap. He is missing his right front paw. He don't catch nothing but a bunch of naps.

Jack

DSC02848.jpg

Jack, Tripod is a very beautiful cat...and I'm glad he found a good (I hope) home. Thank your wife for me.

Latest posts