Urea ? What is it suppose to do ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper

Reaction score
I know urea is in some protein tubs and maybe some feeds i am not sure about that. But what is it and what is it suppose to do ?

ctlbaron":2l9s1v2u said:
I believe it is an artificial protein. Crowder can tell you more about it.
You are correct Baron, it's basically an artificial Protein.When bean meal and cottonseed meal, reach higher prices, Urea is used. Cheap protein. Problem is that some Cattle can have problems if the micro-organisms in the Rumen are low in supply. they cant utilize the protein, and it releases Ammonia, and it can go to the Liver and cause death in some circumstances. The best thing when buying Supplements is to READ the Tag.In most cases, the lower priced Tubs, are full of Urea, but some of the quality names out there are using it too. I like to use the all natural products, containing no urea.

I'm sure Crowder can correct me if I'm wrong, We were always told that cattle under 6 months old shouldnt have urea because of thier underdeveloped liver. jp

jp":1nalvmzq said:
I'm sure Crowder can correct me if I'm wrong, We were always told that cattle under 6 months old shouldnt have urea because of thier underdeveloped liver. jp
It's advantageous for them not to have it. You're right on target jp.I've stopped feeding any Tubs containing Urea.

Anybody heard of "Feed in a drum" lick tubs? That is what our feed store has. Two different kinds, with or without urea.

Manufacturing cost of tubs is usually significantly higher than other types of protein supplements. Convenience is the reason they are used in most cases, I think. As far as urea goes, just use it correctly and it can be pretty good. It supplies nitrogen to feed the bacteria in the rumen, which is a source of microbial protein....in some situations, nutritionists like to use urea as a source of soluble nitrogen in order to "feed" the rumen bacteria. Best utilization is when there is consistent intake. Utilization in young calves probably lowest when they haven't developed full function of rumen.

I hear every one say "urea cheep, feed urea". With the % of it digested it very "expensive". I quit using it becasue of cost efficeincy and the problems metioned befor.

Scotty

Scotty":qw3o17g7 said:
I hear every one say "urea cheep, feed urea". With the % of it digested it very "expensive". I quit using it becasue of cost efficeincy and the problems metioned befor.

Scotty

If you're careful with feeding urea it can be very beneficial. As far as urea being expensive, I'm not quite sure what your basing that on. If i remember right urea has a protein equivalent of somewhere around 270%. So even if the use of the urea isn't very efficient, you will still get a high amount of protein produced by the rumen microbes. This is just what I've been reading and been told. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So thye only use waht they need and crap the rest on the ground. Waste is expensive. That is my basis. They don't get the total # used for the total they consume. I am feeding nothing but cake now. Have better healtheir looking cattle from what I used to. Also the feed bill is down.

Scotty

Scotty":3sb0vhdi said:
So thye only use waht they need and crap the rest on the ground. Waste is expensive. That is my basis. They don't get the total # used for the total they consume. I am feeding nothing but cake now. Have better healtheir looking cattle from what I used to. Also the feed bill is down.

Scotty
Do you have any figures for what per cent is digested and what per cent is wasted? I was looking for some numbers but can't find any.

Ryder":2iucx93e said:
Scotty":2iucx93e said:

Scotty
Do you have any figures for what per cent is digested and what per cent is wasted? I was looking for some numbers but can't find any.

Working on numbers but here is a helper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tubs are the MOST expensive way to go! You're probably paying close to $600 per ton for something you can buy in a sack for $200. They are easy and that's the only thing they've got going for them. The dealers will say they'll eat less; OK pour a little syrup on a concrete block, a whole lot cheaper than tubs. The whole idea is to get protein and minerals into the cow, not see how little they will eat. Try a good 3 and 1 range meal; 1/3 the cost, almost as easy and the cow is actually getting a little feed.

Scotty

Latest posts