Upside Down Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
This one is a VERY lucky cow. In fact, I am very surprised she was still alive when we found her. We were at a community supper tonight, when the fuel truck (co-op) driver informed us that he had seen a dead cow in our pasture along the grid this morning. I had seen him go by that morning, at about 10:00 or so. I was done chores, and was taking a walk through the heavies.

Well, we kinda thought he was pulling our leg, but as soon as we left the supper we headed up the road to see for our selves. Well, he was pretty much telling the truth, except she wasn't dead. Had she not moved, however, we likely would not have actually gone down to check her. She had found a little hollow/rut to lay in last night, and somehow managed to get her feet out from under her and once she did that she was stuck. Her feet were above her head, and there was no way she could get herself out of her predicament. We were fortunate that some locals stopped to help us, because it took 4 of us to roll her over and out of the rut. She was bloated pretty badly, had prolapsed her rectum, one side of her face is swollen enough that she probably cannot see out of her eye, and her tail was partially frozen into the manure behind her. We had to roll her twice to get her on level enough ground for her to sit up on her own, but as soon as she was upright, you could hear her burping the extra gas out, and you could see the bloat go down. Once she was sitting up for a couple min, we left to get som OB gloves, and get into some warmer clothes. Then, came back, put the prolapse back. She is still pretty swollen up in the back, and hopefully she won't reprolapse. Got her on her feet, she was extremely wobbly, but was able to keep her feet under her. Gave her a couple minutes to steady herself, and then walked her up to the corral (1/2 mile away). Hopefully she will be OK.

She is one lucky cow, she had been like that since at least 10 am, and probably a lot longer than that. And we didn't find her until about 7 pm. I am amazed she is alive, usually when they get like that they don't last a couple hours, let alone 10 or 12 hours!!

Sorry, no pics, didn't have the camera, and we were too busy trying to save her to take pics. I will get some of the hollow she was in, in the morning though.

Randi, you are right, she is one lucky cow!!

I lost my Jersey nurse cow that way 2 weeks ago. She had done a similar deal 2 years ago, and I saw her and we got her turned around. This last time she had done it during the night in a different pasture. By the time I had found her in the morning, she was gone. So now I'm bottle feeding the nurse cow's calf.

You will find that half the people you talk to have never heard of such a thing, and the other half have had the same experience.

I'm glad you were able to get to her in time.

Katherine

We had this discussion a while ago on here. Someone asked about a dead cow, and it was one of my first thoughts. We don't run into them that often, but these heavy bred cows, sure can overbalance themselves easy enough. All it took was a 2 foot wide hollow. You are right, 1/2 believe you and the other 1/2 are pretty skeptical.

On a side note, this was one of our 2nd calvers, would really have sucked to have lost that young of a cow. I just hope she doesn't end up losing her calf, but either way I am glad that we saved her.

sounds like what happened to friend of mine.he has brimmer cross cows.an they dont like being worked or in the corral.well 1 cow got stirred up real bad.an she jumped the fence.an landed on her back in the bar ditch with all 4 feet up in the air.buddy worked an got her outta the ditch.an she got up an walked back into the pasture.an she was ok.

Yeppers it does happen unfortunetely, to calves also :( . Last month I went out at around 9:00 pm which I usually don't do because I was just out at 7:30 pm; but I had a little voice in my head that was telling me to go back out and check. I found a month old calf on his back all bloated up. The turkey probably thought it was comfortable when he first got in that position but when he woke up he couldn't roll back over. Got there just in time ,picked him up and walked him around for about a half hour to get his rumen back in order. When I went back out to check at 12:30 am he was laying comfortably and the bloat had completely disappeared. You just never know what can happen and that is why you are tied down 24/7.....

I guess I'm a little confused as to why it took you that long to find her when the co-op driver told you that a cow was dead in your pasture at 10:00 am. Does he have a history of playing pranks, or did you just think he didn't know a down cow when he saw it?

i had a cow back in january that was acting drunk at feeding time. she had obviously gotten into something poisonous. i took the tractor in and came back to look for her and she had disappeared. i found her later upside down in a ditch that was about 6 feet deep. she was completely upside down and i coudnt even roll her over to one side. had to go back and get the tractor and pull her out by her legs with a chain, then loaded her up in the bucket and brought her home in a small pen where she couldnt stumble into a ditch or the pond or something. she was still a little woozy the next day and had a healthy calf a month later. one of the calf's ears is a little off but otherwise healthy.

also, that same day there was a bull calf cast between two feed troughs and it turns out his shoulder was dislocated buts hes fine now too.

msscamp":2whsqyw7 said:
I guess I'm a little confused as to why it took you that long to find her when the co-op driver told you that a cow was dead in your pasture at 10:00 am. Does he have a history of playing pranks, or did you just think he didn't know a down cow when he saw it?

Well, he was heading the other way, when he saw her at 10 am. I saw him go by about then. He most likely thought I knew she was there, and I never saw him again until the supper that NIGHT. He thought she was dead, and since there is not much we could do about a dead cow, he didn't worry about letting me know. He knows cows, but there is only so much you can see when you are going by at 80 km/hr. Heck, if she hadn't moved when we went there to see what was up, we would never have known she was alive. If he hadn't let us know, she certainly would have been dead by the next morning!!

randiliana":3dxx5gju said:
msscamp":3dxx5gju said:

Well, he was heading the other way, when he saw her at 10 am. I saw him go by about then. He most likely thought I knew she was there, and I never saw him again until the supper that NIGHT. He thought she was dead, and since there is not much we could do about a dead cow, he didn't worry about letting me know. He knows cows, but there is only so much you can see when you are going by at 80 km/hr. Heck, if she hadn't moved when we went there to see what was up, we would never have known she was alive. If he hadn't let us know, she certainly would have been dead by the next morning!!

Now I'm really confused - first you state that the co-op guy told you that you had a dead cow, now it appears that the co-op guy didn't tell you til that night. This must be one of those regional differences things.

This is what Randi stated:
We were at a community supper tonight, when the fuel truck (co-op) driver informed us that he had seen a dead cow in our pasture along the grid this morning.

Makes sense to me.

Besides, its not the point of the story.

angie":3qnf807w said:
We were at a community supper tonight, when the fuel truck (co-op) driver informed us that he had seen a dead cow in our pasture along the grid this morning.

Makes sense to me.

Makes sense to me too.

A few months ago my wife called and said the sherriff's office called her and said I had a dead bull laying near the edge of the road. I headed that way as fast as I could to see what had happened. On my way, I got a radio call from one of the neighbors who asked if someone had shot my bull. My foot got heavier as I sped to the scene. Before I got there, I received another call from someone else asking what had happened to my bull. When I pulled to the bull pen I witnessed a strange sight. My best bull was laying in a sunspot on the fenceline flat on his back with his legs kicked up in the air resembling rigamortis. As I pulled up closer, he flipped his head up toward me and gave me this look like "what's the problem". Turns out he was just sunning his pears. :lol2:

Jogeephus":yzaqqs0t said:
A few months ago my wife called and said the sherriff's office called her and said I had a dead bull laying near the edge of the road. I headed that way as fast as I could to see what had happened. On my way, I got a radio call from one of the neighbors who asked if someone had shot my bull. My foot got heavier as I sped to the scene. Before I got there, I received another call from someone else asking what had happened to my bull. When I pulled to the bull pen I witnessed a strange sight. My best bull was laying in a sunspot on the fenceline flat on his back with his legs kicked up in the air resembling rigamortis. As I pulled up closer, he flipped his head up toward me and gave me this look like "what's the problem". Turns out he was just sunning his pears. :lol2:

:D :D :D :D As long as he wasn't bloated up you are pretty safe :cboy:

dun":gi6dn8ha said:
angie":gi6dn8ha said:

Makes sense to me.

Makes sense to me too.

it makes sense to me also. i guess that makes it nonregional.

Yr post made sense to me also.. sounds like she is a fighter, look forwa rd to pictures.. just never know what a day will bring hu! good on ya for checking :nod: donna

Jogeephus":2pku7s1k said:
Does'nt "Ol C.B." do the same thing?

Roadapple":3ks3m2a6 said:
Does'nt "Ol C.B." do the same thing?
trink14.gif

Latest posts