UPS/Cashier's check question

Help Support CattleToday:

Glad this not me a few UPS employees would have been called every dirty name I know, and I worked in a prison so I know a bunch. I agree with Cottagefarm time for a lawyer. They might also try BBB see where that leads.

I would contact your state attorneys office as well or maybe even your congressman. Sometimes all it takes is a call from the correctly connected individual.

Toad":169f0jgp said:
I would contact your state attorneys office as well or maybe even your congressman. Sometimes all it takes is a call from the correctly connected individual.

Toad I need you to call the gas company that robs me each month please ;-)

Does anyone think that a lawyer, a Congressman or anything else is going to get that letter found any quicker? No one wants to deal with such an irate customer. It's not like they're not trying to find it. They just can't.

It's a tough situation and it stinks, but it doesn't sound like there is much that anyone can do at this point. It also appears to me that there is some percentage of displaced blame here. There are ways to operate a business and other financial matters, and depending on a last minute, seat of the pants approach is not exactly the most responsible thing. Mail gets lost or delayed sometimes. It's not right, but it happens. We all know it. Putting 100% of the blame on someone else when we know or should have known the risks is not exactly fair or reasonable.

Luca Brasi":2yrsbtwq said:
Does anyone think that a lawyer, a Congressman or anything else is going to get that letter found any quicker? No one wants to deal with such an irate customer. It's not like they're not trying to find it. They just can't.

It's a tough situation and it stinks, but it doesn't sound like there is much that anyone can do at this point. It also appears to me that there is some percentage of displaced blame here. There are ways to operate a business and other financial matters, and depending on a last minute, seat of the pants approach is not exactly the most responsible thing. Mail gets lost or delayed sometimes. It's not right, but it happens. We all know it. Putting 100% of the blame on someone else when we know or should have known the risks is not exactly fair or reasonable.
And you're 100% sure of that?? Over the years I've learned that for some reason a letter signed by an attorney or a congressman seems to get opened immediately and action usually picks up.

Luca Brasi":13msg4mc said:

Hmmm....they've already had lots of time to find it. It hasn't happened. Whether or not they continue to look for it is irrelevant. The reason for a lawyers letter at this time is to expedite the claims process. Did you not read the part where they 1st took a week or more to look for the envelope and now want him to wait another 2-3 weeks to even file the claim documents. Every aspect possible in the UPS organization is digitized and electronic and they need to MAIL the claim docs to him :bs: :bs: Theyre on the hook for a very expensive piece of paper. Yeah, shyte happens. But theres a point where the business needs to suck it up and do what they are contractually obligated to do. Been there, done that as a business owner myself. You do what you contracted to do, and you move on.

The sender did absolutely nothing wrong here. Hes really been quite patient in my opinion. Its obvious its not your 7G that's lost. I suspect you would not be quite so sanguine about it if it were.

Its real easy, in hindsite, for us all to tell him he should have done an electronic transfer, but a bank draft send by an service is still fairly sop with lots of people.

Today, they did tell him that after he files the claim and it goes through the process, they will still only be liable for the fee that it takes for the bank to replace the check, after the 91 days are up for him to put in a claim to the bank for the lost cashiers check. I thought it was a good thing for the lady at the bank to contact UPS to try to get something resolved to help my friend, but UPS would have nothing to do with her. He was going to get a lawyer, now he has decided a lawyer would cost more money than he has, so he is rethinking the situation. Thanks for all of your replies, I will update whenever there is an update.

skyhightree1":11zr33wi said:
they may never find it but squeaky wheel gets the oil

....or it gets cut off. Sadly, it sounds like UPS is trying to use the saw. I would be pretty salty about it myself

Luca Brasi":2z2j1wtd said:
Does anyone think that a lawyer, a Congressman or anything else is going to get that letter found any quicker? No one wants to deal with such an irate customer. It's not like they're not trying to find it.

I wouldn't care one way or the other if and/or when they found it. They can investigate on their own time. I'd figure that I paid for overnight shipping and paid for insurance. They can keep the check. Pay me off now. That is why I paid the high price for overnight and insurance.

gimpyrancher":22fih970 said:
Luca Brasi":22fih970 said:
Does anyone think that a lawyer, a Congressman or anything else is going to get that letter found any quicker? No one wants to deal with such an irate customer. It's not like they're not trying to find it.

I wouldn't care one way or the other if and/or when they found it. They can investigate on their own time. I'd figure that I paid for overnight shipping and paid for insurance. They can keep the check. Pay me off now. That is why I paid the high price for overnight and insurance.

I dont think hes going to get 7k from them anyway. He hasnt actually lost the money unless someone cashes the check. All hes going to get is shipping cost refunded and cost to cancel the check.

Craig Miller":1aot7mvn said:
gimpyrancher":1aot7mvn said:
Luca Brasi":1aot7mvn said:

I dont think hes going to get 7k from them anyway. He hasnt actually lost the money unless someone cashes the check. All hes going to get is shipping cost refunded and cost to cancel the check.
HE has not lost the money at all until the check clears. AS long as the check is outstanding he's lost nothing. But he still needs to insist that the bank now put a stop payment on it to ensure that some third party doesn't try to cash it or deposit it to an account. Once the issuing bank pays the cashiers check then his money is gone.

He has tried to get the bank to stop payment on the check. They will not. They say there is nothing they can do until the 90 day period is up. So, he is out the money for the 90 days unless the UPS finds the envelope. I do not know what will happen if someone cashes the check before the 90 days is up.

stocky":3vt35sxc said:
He has tried to get the bank to stop payment on the check. They will not. They say there is nothing they can do until the 90 day period is up. So, he is out the money for the 90 days unless the UPS finds the envelope. I do not know what will happen if someone cashes the check before the 90 days is up.
That is pure BS. They do not have to wait that long !!!!!

chevytaHOE5674":31fgrzmm said:
TexasBred":31fgrzmm said:

My banker told me that indeed you have to wait 90 days before you can cancel a cashiers check.
Maybe things have changed. When you had locally owned banks your banker could always find a way to make sure he was looking out for his customer. He broke no laws. He just found different approaches.

TexasBred":3mnbsyt7 said:
chevytaHOE5674":3mnbsyt7 said:
TexasBred":3mnbsyt7 said:

My banker told me that indeed you have to wait 90 days before you can cancel a cashiers check.
Maybe things have changed. When you had locally owned banks your banker could always find a way to make sure he was looking out for his customer. He broke no laws. He just found different approaches.

True TB.. corporate America is sooo great..in every aspect of our lives now

A cashiers check is much different than a normal personal or business check. My small locally owned bank said that as long as they can remember (my banker/friend has been there 30 years) you haven't been able to cancel a cashiers check before 90 days.

Many people pay for the down payment on their homes, land, trucks, etc with a cashiers check. The sellers always accept them because they are as good as cash. If the bank was able to willy nilly cancel them on a whim then nobody would accept them.

Latest posts