Upgrading my tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

cowsrus

Reaction score
I'm going to upgrade my tractor for several reasons. i'm looking for one big enough to operate a round baler and have a cab with a loader and probably 4wd. I'm replacing a JD4230 w/loader. I've looked at Masseys, JDs, Case IH and New Hollands and Kubotas and i kinda like the Massey because they are a little lower priced around here. Are they as good a tractor is what i'm asking or which would you choose if they were all priced about the same? I want something pretty new with less than 1500 or so hrs.

i do like the Kubotas, i was looking at a m9000, not sure of the tranny, but i'll look again

Think long term service and parts availability in close proximity to you.

i was looking at a 471 w/loader. They had a 2 wh and a 4 wh drive version of it at the same dealer

A lot of good points made! The Perkins diesel in the Massey is hard to beat but I too, have experienced the weak hydraulics. Have the Kubota now and it's been dependable. I would definitely get the 4WD model and that 9000 would give you a lot of hp. You might want consider narrowing down your list based on dealer parts/repair proximity.

471 are they used if not they've been on the lot a while they have been replaced by the 500 series. I would not compare the 471 to a m9000 Kubota The 9000 is a higher horspower tractor and the 400/500 series are also utility tractors (reason they are cheaper). To downgrade from a 4230 to a 471 is a big step down in horsepower and weight. If I was looking at a Massey Id look for a used 4355 or a new 5455 they have 85 pto horsepower, good weight, and are heavier built than the utility 400/500 series.

Always remember to compare apples to apples, because Deere and Massey both have utility lines that are not the same as their other models with the same horspower.

My experiance with the Kubotas (2 M9000) small PTO clutch packs and light weight, really need a counter weight when you have large rolls on the front end loader, and the temps seem to run a little higher than the other tractors, but man are they quite.

My 5455 Massey cab/4wd no complaints yet pulls hard handles my 505m Vermeer like a dream. The 5455 was a upgrade from a 2wd 4355.

And what ever you do don't get rid of your old 4230 those old 4000 series JDs are the best tractors JD ever made.

I don't think anything thats made now will compare as far as weight goes with my 4230, thats one reason why i thought the 4wd would be good. You are right i was comparing prices without trying to match tractors. Its so hard to compare them though because there are so many different models of each brand and you can't just go by hp rating. The closest dealers to me are NH and JD and Kubota but there are CaseIH and Massey dealers within 75 mi.

So you have a John Deere 4230 looks to me after seeing the tractors you are looking at, you are downgrading instead of upgrading. My humble opinion.

Well, I am a Massey man myself, but if your nearest Massey dealer is 75 miles away, I would think you would want to consider one of the closer brands. John Deere, New Holland or Kubota would all be good if you get the right horsepower and weight class. What ever happens stay away from too "little". Good luck.
Phil

hurleyjd":3p95taqy said:
So you have a John Deere 4230 looks to me after seeing the tractors you are looking at, you are downgrading instead of upgrading. My humble opinion.

Unless your 4230 is junk,I tend to agree with hurleyjd.

No it's not exactly junk, but it is 35 yrs old and i was wanting something that i could start without spraying ether in it every time and i want a joystick control so i can have free hyd outlets in back and i also wanted something with a quick connect front end loader.Mine is a real pain to take the bucket on and off. I also need one that has enough power to pull my rd baler. I know the newer ones aren't as heavy as mine, but i'm sure there are several that would work.

If a JD 4230 doesn't have the power to pull your round baler that baler must be a hoss or you need an overhaul. Or your PTO is reversed and you're pulling a 1,000 in 540. Others that understand this issue can better explain. Ether can do that to one. Avoid ether in most cases by installing a block heater and plugging tractor up before attempting to start. That being said my JD buddies admit that some of their JD tractors really have a cold nature. If the tractor is in good shape then buy a new QT loader with bucket, spear and maybe pallet fork. Have someone with Deere experience plumb loader under the deck and you then have an extra outlet on the back. All this of course is subject to the tractor being worth the effort. But the upgrades maybe way cheaper than another tractor and loader. IMO and Good luck.

The tractor has plenty of power and runs good after it starts. Unless its 95 degrees outside i have to use ether to start it, thinking about adding an ether injection system to make it easier. I've almost decided to keep it even if i do buy another one, its still a good tractor and the dealer didn't offer much for a trade in.

Latest posts