Upgrading my tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

Just adding a cab with AC and heat is an upgrade, and for some of us at our ages it allows us to work a whole lot longer without getting as tired.

I'll second what has been suggested about staying away from the 400/500 series. They are nothing more than a little bigger utility tractor, not up to the rigors of daily use as a loader tractor. I'd be taking a serious look at a 5/6000 Massey. Better built than your existing Deere, and available with plenty of power to turn any round baler you might have.

As far as weak hydraulics, I'm not sure what anyone means when they say that. Massey has always had excellent hydraulics, in so far as the pumps were concerned. You'd occasionally see a bad priority valve, or a leaking line, but thats about it. Heck, a popular upgrade to the 4000 series Deeres that everyone loves so much was to put a Massey radial hydraulic pump in them.

On the Kubota side, they're not a bad tractor, but the 120HP version has rear end and PTO trouble (this from a mechanic friend of mine who works for Kubota).

Another thing to keep an eye out for is a 7110 or 7120 Magnum. They are a little older than what you're currently looking for, however if you can find one with a couple thousand hours on it, its a keeper. They are simply the BEST front wheel assist tractors ever built.

Rod

Something to make sure of is that it has live PTO. When I asked the Kubota mechanics about it they had no idea what I was talking about. I've got a small Kubota for light stuff and some tight brush hogging and it doesn;t have live PTO which sucks

I upgraded recently also (JD 5085E), one reason I stay green is for resale value. I looked at the Case which is the same as NH both are fine machines but I liked the cab on the JD and its heavier. All are good machines, good luck

any of the older teir 3 tractors will pretty much hold their resale value now if they are good tractors.

I would like to upgrade our tractor in the next 3yrs. The NH T4.95 with cab is sure getting my attention and I grew up on green.

i grew up ford blue.but that changed to kubota orange.i looked at the NH tractors and really didnt like them at all.and refused to look at JD because i never have liked them.

You get more bang for your buck with JD.....nothing against the others but its just built with more quality. Probably won't make a difference if you us it for utility but for farm use the JD will out perfrom all.

spg":l076ngi9 said:
You get more bang for your buck with JD.....nothing against the others but its just built with more quality. Probably won't make a difference if you us it for utility but for farm use the JD will out perfrom all.
weve got a brand new 2013 or 2014 jd 6105d cab 4x4 rigged for fel.and it has less than 20hrs on it from baling hay.so now that tractor will set up to a year with out being worked.because the kubota does all the other work.and the case does all the shredding.all the tractors are 4x4s 2 with loaders.

You don't even know the year model of your tractor? OK? And whats the reason for parking it for a year? Why didn't you just rig a FEL on you orange or red tractor?

i bought a new tractor kubota 52hp 4x4 fel hst in 2010.that was the haying and shredding tractor.was feeding 4 by 6s then.then in nov of 2012 bought a jx80 rops 4x4 fel like new to pull a 14ft ridgid shredder we just bought.then in feb 2013 we bought a 2006 barely used 567 jd baler.then july i traded the 2010 kubota for a 2013 7040su rops fel 4x4 hydro shuttle because the little tractor was overloaded pulling /hauling 11000lbs.then in jan bought the new 6105d cab 4x4 setup for a fel.thats only used to bale hay.id like to get another cab 4x4 fel but im in no hurry todo so.would rather buy cows for a while.the jd is either a 2013 or 2014.

I prefer John Deere primarily due to the large number of dealers within 100 miles providing ample availability of parts & service and plenty of competition. My main chore tractor is a JD 7520 MFWD with a 741 SL loader. The thing I dislike about the 20 series tractor is the use of numerous rubber fuel hoses instead of all steel lines. The 30 series tractors do not have rubber fuel hoses. I have found that these hoses sometimes get doty and leak, resulting in air seeping into the system. Both series have glow plugs for easier winter starting. However, I have observed the 20 series tractor has a fuel gelling problem below 5 degrees. Whenever I anticipate night time temps dipping that low, I begin blending five gallons No. 1 diesel/kerosene with the fill from the No. 2 diesel in my bulk tank. That seems to take care of the gelling problem. I have not had good luck with additives other than good ole No. 1. The reason I have limited my discussion to the 20 and 30 series JDs is both personal experience and the large number of used tractors on the market that are about ten years old. That appears to be the point where appreciation turns to depreciation in used pricing. Along with the hours, of course.

You can go broke buying equipment to save on your taxes. My younger brother did that, my dad would ask him how many cows do you have to milk for John Deere. Never occurred to younger brother as to what my dad was trying to tell him. Good deals that is hard to pass up will also break you. Equipment cost and payments will finally catch up with you and take all of the profit you are making.

Cheap horsepower is a requirement for most operations. I do not think it possible to buy land, buy cattle, buy equipment, pay for the inputs, pay off all loans and make a living for your family without inheriting a substantial part of the operation. In my part of the country most of us are fourth or fifth generation on the land and have accumulated enough wealth to be able to operate. I am fifth generation at least and am 60 years old. They were farming in Germany for several hundred years before they came to America and had money when they got here. A John Deere might be an extravagance for some cattlemen. I understand that. However, a reliable tractor that will start on a cold winter day is a must, if you want your cattle fed. And no other brand can beat a JD for resale value.

Latest posts