Update

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly":2f61z3p9 said:
dun":2f61z3p9 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2f61z3p9 said:
Kinda like pickled herring myself :D

Being Norwegian so do I. But it's an old joke about telling when they've gone bad.

dun

I'm a Norski myself.
Dun, do you know what a "splivit" is???

Hillbilly

Seems like I've heard the word but that's it. We used to eat lutafisk(sp), I alwasy called it fish jello, when we lived in Wisconson.

dun

Texan":17up6sx6 said:
eric":17up6sx6 said:
We don't have HEB up here either.
Whadya mean "up here," Eric? Where you from?

In North Tx....I dont believe I have seen one around here..but then I dont make a habit of going to the grocery store either, but I do drive by them everyday. But then I may be wrong!

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1oim4mn8 said:
Texan":1oim4mn8 said:
eric":1oim4mn8 said:
We don't have HEB up here either.
Whadya mean "up here," Eric? Where you from?/quote]
Use to say where he was from under his avatar. Got
shy I guess. :lol:

I live in Flower Mound, TX...about 30 miles north of Dallas, since you asked.

Not really shy, but it appears some folks seem to think it's rude to ask where someone is from, so I kinda figured it might be rude to tell someone where you're from if they don't ask first.

txshowmom wrote:
Quote:
Or maybe a Hispanic thing?

What does that have to do with anything. You must be referring to the
Fiesta Mart

No, maybe it's a hispanic thing. Have you not noticed that there are a few hispanics living in San Antonio?

San Antonio is NOT the only town that has HEB.

dun":fbxrt3m8 said:
hillbilly":fbxrt3m8 said:
dun":fbxrt3m8 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":fbxrt3m8 said:

Being Norwegian so do I. But it's an old joke about telling when they've gone bad.

dun

I'm a Norski myself.

Hillbilly

A "splivit" is Norwegian for 20 lbs. of manure in a 10 lb bag.
Thats what my grandad used to call me when I was a kid.

He taught me how to cuss in Norwegian, he's been gone so long I barly remember any of it.
He came to this country as a youngster and fought in WW1.

Hillbilly

Seems like I've heard the word but that's it. We used to eat lutafisk(sp), I alwasy called it fish jello, when we lived in Wisconson.

dun

txshowmom":g8n8onln said:
txshowmom wrote:
Quote:
Or maybe a Hispanic thing?

What does that have to do with anything. You must be referring to the
Fiesta Mart

No, maybe it's a hispanic thing. Have you not noticed that there are a few hispanics living in San Antonio?

San Antonio is NOT the only town that has HEB.

HEB - As was said earlier, stands for Howard E. Butt, the son of C.C. Butt, who started the first grocery store in Kerrville in 1905. Today there are around 300 HEB stores, with the headquarters in San Antonio. They are mostly in south and central Texas. I think Stephenville is about as far north as they go.

San Antonio is NOT the only town that has HEB.[/quote]

I never said it was....they also have them in El Paso, Chico, Gonzales, Mexia, Bandero and quite a few other towns in TX!

***just yanking your chain mom, I've seen them other places too!

We used to have an Oldsmobile dealer in Dallas named Henry E. Butts....wonder if its the same family, especially since money seems to stay with alot of families. Just wish mine was one of them.

The story of H-E-B began almost 100 years ago in a tiny family shop in Kerrville. Today H-E-B serves families all over Texas with almost 300 grocery stores and 55,000 employees.

H-E-B's commitment to excellence has made it one of the nation's largest independently owned food retailers. Yet H-E-B's success has not changed its commitment to giving the customer exceptional service, low prices and friendly shopping.

A Family Business
In 1905, Charles C. and Florence Butt moved their three sons from Memphis, Tennessee, to Kerrville in the Texas Hill Country. With an initial investment of only $60, Florence opened the C.C. Butt Grocery Store on November 26.

The youngest son, Howard E., became intrigued with the grocery business. He took over the family business in 1919, upon his return from World War I. In 1924, he expanded the Butt Grocery Company with a new store in Junction, about 60 miles from Kerrville. Howard's motto was, "He profits most who serves best."

Charles, the youngest son of Howard E. Butt, became president of the H.E. Butt Grocery Company in 1971. Today, Charles Butt is chairman and CEO of H-E-B, having grown the business from sales of $250 million in 1971 to $7.5 billion in 2000.

Florence Butt opened her first store with a set of beliefs that were passed on to her sons, grandsons, and great-grandsons. Good principles and a can-do attitude, whether times are good or bad, are at the heart of H-E-B's success.

A History of Innovation
Thanks to constant innovation, H-E-B has always kept pace with its customers' changing lifestyles. Innovations range from the installation of the first in-store meat market and delicatessen in 1919, to the advent of the H-E-B MarketPlace in 1991, which includes in-store restaurants and a wood-burning pizza oven from Italy fired up 24 hours a day. A few
H-E-B milestones:

1940s - H-E-B opened its first air-conditioned stores and began stocking frozen foods. Exclusive brand names also appeared, including Village Park, Park Manor and others.

1950s - H-E-B opened its first supermarkets, consolidating a fish market, butcher shop, pharmacy and bakery under one roof.

1976 - The H-E-B Milk Plant opens in San Antonio and is now the largest milk plant in Texas. H-E-B also operates the state's largest bread bakery.

1990s - H-E-B introduced a new H-E-B Brand, under the concept of "Own Brands." Already, over 3000 H-E-B Own Brand products have been launched, ranging from eggs and yogurt to bacon and charcoal.

1994 - H-E-B opened the first Central Market in Austin, featuring a European bakery, a deli with meats and cheeses from around the globe, and a juice and ice cream bar.

1997 - H-E-B expanded its business across the border into Mexico.

hillbilly":278fua1f said:
dun":278fua1f said:
hillbilly":278fua1f said:
dun":278fua1f said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":278fua1f said:

dun

I'm a Norski myself.

Hillbilly

A "splivit" is Norwegian for 20 lbs. of manure in a 10 lb bag.
Thats what my grandad used to call me when I was a kid.

He taught me how to cuss in Norwegian, he's been gone so long I barly remember any of it.
He came to this country as a youngster and fought in WW1.

Hillbilly

dun

I probably heard my dad say it then. My grnadad came as a kid too but I don't know much about him since he had died before I was born. All I know is that he was amaster cabinetmaker. The skills have sure skipped my dads side of the family. He wasn't any good at woodworking and neither am I.
But I have an uncle that can turn a rotted stump into a complete and perfect piece of elegent furniture.

dun

You're correct TXBobcat. And a little known bit of trivia is that two of Seymore's cousins also wrote books: "The Yellow River", by I. P. Freely and "50 Yards to the Outhouse" by, Willie Makeit

Latest posts