update on calf

Help Support CattleToday:

winddancer

Reaction score
Well she hasnt been that healthy in these past two weeks.. and a few times we thought we lost her..everyday I see how much better she's getting.The right front leg is still hurting her..But shes beginning to put some weight down on it..I'm home now most days so I can tend to any needs she has..She's actually not my calf I'm just helping save her..
They went and got her the calf manna..SO I'll start leaving that in front of her also..Once she can get around better on that leg I'll feel even better..
The last two weeks we've had to resessitate her once,literally get the milk poured into she was just to weak to suck, hang her in a sling and massage her al over to keep blood flowing,wrap that leg,teach her to suck....with us milking the nipple and her sucking the milk down.lay her up against the penned mother and try and teach her to suck ,scours,antibiotics :D wow what a couple of weeks.but I've learned alot....But if i had many of these calves in a year my hair would be turning grey!! <worry worry thats what I';ve done for 2 weeks solid> :D man i could use a good steak...j/k

Have to hand it to you - I would have shot it a while back.

Bez

Sometimes they are so much work! Just wait one of these days you will see your reward for all of it when she's in the green grass bucking and jumping and having fun, and know that if it wasn't for you she wouldn't be there.

bez I can now see why most operations couldn't care for a calf like this.it would be just to much time...I'm glad I did have time..
Dee I can't wait for those days!! Actually the owners have decided to keep her as the "farm pet" and later breed her.. :D

I must say I'm with Bez. A calf in that condition will take up the time I could spend on 15 more. Also the money poured into one like that will rarely be recovered. If it was at my place it would be in the freezer by now. Thats what makes us all differant we all have differant opinions. My hats off to you for your time and patients.

Well winddancer you probably learned a lot and it was a good experience for you. Maybe you learned when to recognize when the effort is worth it and when it is not. I too have done much of the same thing when I HAD time. If I'm really busy I will sometimes find a family who wants to mess with one like this and give it to them.

Sometimes you save 'em sometimes you can't. I've had it go both ways. I'm leaning towards Bez's theory though. Sometimes it's just too much.

winddancer":1z61yco9 said:
I'm in florida also.... :D just moved back from the cold north..

Ah ha! but were you originally from here? You may see some of my posts where I am not real fond of damn yankee's. Those are the ones that come down here and stay. :lol: Those that go back home are ok I guess.

Latest posts