Unreliable

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Have lived some and have learned to tolerate and accept many things in life so much so that I consider myself pretty laid back...one thing though that I have not managed and it really really irks me is an unreliable person.

Got a call yesterday from family, they would be passing through here at around about 3ish today and could they come and visit. So sure, of cause, not a problem. They would bring meat and their own refreshments...very decent of them.

Cleaned the house :p , had the sprinklers going around the garden the whole day to cool things off as we are having a heat wave here, cut wood for the braai(barbeque), made some nice basil & black pepper flatbread, off to the shops for a couple of supplies etc etc.

At 17h30 get a voice message(not even a call) saying that they decided to drive right through and not stop over :mad: :mad:

Are people just too self important, inconsiderate or do they just not think??? I would seriously bend over backwards to inform a person timeously if I can't make an appointment...perhaps I have it all wrong and I need to relax a little???

On the bright side though, the house is clean, the garden is watered and there is spans of food in the house :lol:

You need to relax! Being regimented is important only in life or death circumstances.

Unless it interferes with Intergalactic orbit, stay laid back.

alisonb":1jqbo8mj said:
Have lived some and have learned to tolerate and accept many things in life so much so that I consider myself pretty laid back...one thing though that I have not managed and it really really irks me is an unreliable person.

Got a call yesterday from family, they would be passing through here at around about 3ish today and could they come and visit. So sure, of cause, not a problem. They would bring meat and their own refreshments...very decent of them.

Cleaned the house :p , had the sprinklers going around the garden the whole day to cool things off as we are having a heat wave here, cut wood for the braai(barbeque), made some nice basil & black pepper flatbread, off to the shops for a couple of supplies etc etc.

At 17h30 get a voice message(not even a call) saying that they decided to drive right through and not stop over :mad: :mad:

Are people just too self important, inconsiderate or do they just not think??? I would seriously bend over backwards to inform a person timeously if I can't make an appointment...perhaps I have it all wrong and I need to relax a little???

On the bright side though, the house is clean, the garden is watered and there is spans of food in the house :lol:
did you put more effort in it,,Then the visit called for..though it's a pain..rather mine do that,then show up outa the blue...could be sitting here in my drawers :cowboy:

I guess I'm an odd-ball, as I too would have been a bit annoyed by the whole thing.

Nice to know that that type of behavior isn't only in the U.S.

ALACOWMAN":217pozsv said:
did you put more effort in it,,Then the visit called for..though it's a pain..rather mine do that,then show up outa the blue...could be sitting here in my drawers :cowboy:
Surely not with the weather you are having over there :p

Workinonit Farm":217pozsv said:
I guess I'm an odd-ball, as I too would have been a bit annoyed by the whole thing.

I guess one puts life on hold for a while, whether you are working or tinkering away in the garage, and that is what is annoying...the disruption and waiting. In future when dealing with a 'flake' I'll not stop what I'm doing until they actually arrive...

Quite frankly I don't think the liquor flows freely enough for them here, 10:1 they found a mate in town that appreciates the bottle as much as they do :shock:

Had the same thing happen to me a few months ago. Two phone calls telling me they'd drop by but arrival time would be a wide range. Changed my schedule to be close by then nadda. After the arrival time had long passed I called only to figure from the slurred speech they had found a bottle and were trying to get to the worm to do some fishing. I felt about like you did. Won't happen again.

It would pea me off too. It restricts what you do and where you go as you are keeping a constant eye out for them to arrive. My house work would be limited to cleaning the toilet and pushing a bit of the junk to the side on the kitchen table so they can put a coffee cup down. I find females judge you by how clean your toilet is with minimal growth in it, get that right and everything else gets overlooked.

Ken

Workinonit Farm":2cjyg2sd said:

My Mrs wouldn't have been annoyed but pi$$ed off. There would be a come to Jesús meeting.

I don't see a down side to this really.
House got cleaned extra good.
A nice bunch of bread prepared.
Sprinklers on to cool ya down (whatever those are)
And, you didn't have to share the bread or put up with guests tracking crap in your now extra clean house..

Maybe physically there is not down side, but dealing with someone who can't keep their word would be.

When folks can't do what they say, from then on...in my mind they are untrustworthy and kept a little further from my priority list.

If they don't call to apologize or explain a difficulty in getting there, the next time they called I'd ask them, "Are you serious, last time you said they you never showed!"

alisonb-musta been something in the alignment of the stars yesterday--got a call from family that they were 'thinking' about stopping by. No definite plans, no organization, just a fleeting thought to fill idle time.
Sure-why not? They don't have cattle to feed nor ice to break on water tanks or a tractor leaking fuel. Our only difference was, we didn't encourage their stop nor make any changes in our day for their whim visit.

Jogeephus":3ad33sy1 said:
Had the same thing happen to me a few months ago. Two phone calls telling me they'd drop by but arrival time would be a wide range. Changed my schedule to be close by then nadda. After the arrival time had long passed I called only to figure from the slurred speech they had found a bottle and were trying to get to the worm to do some fishing. I felt about like you did. Won't happen again.
You told me a long time ago, "add people, add problems" you already knew better. It's hard to a nice guy.

Jogeephus":g8wglt9r said:
I'd be upset about that uncivilized behavior as well. They didn't share the contents of the bottle and didn't invite you to go fishing either. What, has become of proper etiquette? An unacceptable social faux pas on both accounts.

True Grit Farms":3md7g801 said:
Jogeephus":3md7g801 said:
You told me a long time ago, "add people, add problems" you already knew better. It's hard to a nice guy.

An old lady told me that saying and its clear that she was a wise old bird. A lot of people will just say whatever feels good coming off their tongue yet there is no substance to it at all. What pizzed me about this was they called me asking if they could come buy. Called several times to be sure things would be alright. This is one reason I don't sell hay nor do I rarely sell cattle off the farm because if you calculate your time wasted on tire kickers and liars you are in the hole no matter the price for each thing you finally sell.

I look at this as a lack of respect. Stuff happens, but they could have called instead of leaving a message. The wife's family did something similar to us once. Really got me going because we could have gone somewhere and done something but didn't. Also, it was winter and we had no idea about their safety. We called them the next day and they nonchalantly stated their cell phone died. We no longer talk to them because they had a pattern of not respecting us and our time.

Yep, that pizzes me off to no end as well! flakiness in any form bugs me.. ."friends" who call only when they have a problem for you to fix, etc is right up there too