Unreliable

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3eea0n35 said:
Unreliable??? or disrespect?
Good thing some people call & plan to over to my house - house would never get cleaned if I wasn't expecting company. :banana:
I'd say both! I've had it happen with family and friends and it does pizz me off. I'm anal enough my house is pretty much always clean (I do slack a little during calving) but there's nothing worse than sitting around, waiting for a no-show.

I would trade your situation for mine anyday. I had 1 day off the week of Christmas, my wife too. After my only day off her family calls and says they are on the way and will be here in the morning. We had no groceries, house a wreck, yard a wreck, me and my wife working 12-15 hour shifts, no time to get ready and her family showing up expecting to be entertained. Being their first time to the ranch I would have like to clean up a bit so it didn't look trashy... They stayed from the 19th to the 2nd. I don't mind seeing family but I like a notice, a plan, and an invitation. It would have been cool if they said they just kept driving.

BK9954":9b53wgoz said:
I would trade your situation for mine anyday. I had 1 day off the week of Christmas, my wife too. After my only day off her family calls and says they are on the way and will be here in the morning. We had no groceries, house a wreck, yard a wreck, me and my wife working 12-15 hour shifts, no time to get ready and her family showing up expecting to be entertained. Being their first time to the ranch I would have like to clean up a bit so it didn't look trashy... They stayed from the 19th to the 2nd. I don't mind seeing family but I like a notice, a plan, and an invitation. It would have been cool if they said they just kept driving.
You'll eventually learn. When they show up like that, about the 3rd day, put 'em to work.
Posthole diggers and Tee post drivers can do wonders when it comes to teaching a little etiquette.

BK9954":32byz4jx said:

H&ll no...I'd run away :shock: :lol:

greybeard":s2zj0q24 said:
BK9954":s2zj0q24 said:
You'll eventually learn. When they show up like that, about the 3rd day, put 'em to work.
Posthole diggers and Tee post drivers can do wonders when it comes to teaching a little etiquette.

my wifes mothers b/f always came over and ate all my food. I asked him to help me hang some gutters for 15 minutes one time. he said no.. maybe next time. I told him you eat here you work here. he doesn't come around very often anymore. :lol2: :banana:

Many years ago I had some relatives call to say they were going to stop by. They gave us no time frame, and being briefly married I wasn't too excited for my wife to see the "bunch". They lived a couple of states away, but had been on the road for a while. It was a weekend, and by late afternoon without hearing from them, we packed up and went to a nearby town and got a motel room!

My brother lived several blocks from where we lived and he worked for the Mo. Pacific RR and worked odd hours as a brakeman. They went to his house and woke him up about 1AM.

There are a lot of folks with no social manners. And they probably think I'm one of them!!

This story gets told at most family gatherings with a little embellishment each time.

greybeard":tt3aavay said:
I don't see a down side to this really.
House got cleaned extra good.
A nice bunch of bread prepared.
Sprinklers on to cool ya down (whatever those are)
And, you didn't have to share the bread or put up with guests tracking crap in your now extra clean house..

Alison, you have to admit he made some good points (unless this is people you were really looking forward to seeing, and I didn't get that impression).

Yes Sir, Rafter S, I was certainly happy that they didn't arrive :D . You can choose your friends but not your family. Like I said in my first post, there is always a bright side to a situation.
alisonb":6ne2vwv2 said:
On the bright side though, the house is clean, the garden is watered and there is spans of food in the house :lol: