unofficial dna results in on a twh stallion ~ silver dapple

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
hi all,

this is bill's wife hi-jacking his computer again.... grins

----------------------

this is the offical "unoffical" results so far.... 'unofficial' because i only have a verbal at this point in time... (when we get the actual paperwork will post this on our website for everybody to see).

this is on our new stallion (Dusty's Royal Flush TWHBEA #945407) that we had purchased for his old-time pedigree (foundation lines, 3 on his pedigree Hunter's Allen F-10, Merry Legs F-4, and Roan Allen F-38 ), his dam is out of an old world grand champion (SLF Ace's Sensation), and her dam (this is his second dam) is out of a world grand champion (Sun's Delight D.), plus his own good looks with color

his barn name is "chance"
------------------------------------------------

1. "chance" is heterozygous for the silver dapple and this is in a "progressive form"... which is why it takes so long for it to show up... (darkening of his body after the age of 6 in his case)

2. is heterozygous for the agouti gene

3. is heterozygous for the red/black gene (this is why he is a silver dapple)

4. should be heterozygous for the creme gene... this test has to be redone next week... maybe wednesday? result on this was inconclusive.. and will redo the creme gene test (note: expert said that was most likely that fluid did not get mixed enough.... he is dealing with an amount that is 50x smaller than a drop of water out of an eye dropper when he is doing these color tests) "expert believes at this time he is heterozygous for the creme gene as well"....

*****so chance is a "silver dapple buckskin himself"....not homozygous for anything but heterzygous for all the above*****...

the expert told me today that this means genetically 'chance' has a 75% of doing something besides plain old sorrels only.... grins (he is already at the 50% mark with just counting the creme gene and the agouti gene only.... so if you add the silver in... which nobody thought to look for... then this would easily come up to the 75% that he was talking about...)

out of 22 'registered offspring'... he has 12 that are either: palominos ( 8 ), cremello (1), buckskin (2) or bay (1) and a brown (1).... chestnuts (6), sorrel (2), roan (1)

whoo hooo!!!! happy dance! happy dance!

---------------------------

now for the next burning question.....

what is the difference between a dun, a buckskin, a dunskin, and a dunalino???

i think he could possibly be a dun... as he has a stripe down his back in his full winter coat....

to me.... if this was a 'false dun stripe' this would fade in the winter time, and come back with a new spring/summer hair coat.... or am i not seeing/understanding this correctly??

http://www.runningarrowfarm.com

congratulations! I looked at his picture at your website. He is a very handsome horse.

I like his laid back shoulder and neck set. Very nice.

k, for the last question
dun- has dorsal stripe, and darker legs, tips of ears, etc.
buckskin- creame colored horse with black mane and tail
dunskin- i think it is a buckskin horse with the dorsal stripe and dun qualities
palamino- a creame colored horse with white mane and tail
dunalino-i think it is a palamino horse with dorsal stripe and dun qualities
ss

Sometimes a horse can have what appears to be a dorsal stripe, when it is not. Some bays will have a darker line down their back, but it isn't the same as a true dorsal stripe.

Here is a link to an interesting site about double dilutes. The lady in charge was instrumental in helping to getting the AQHA to accept cremellos.

http://www.doubledilute.com/

This is RAB this time...lol.

According to the "latest" evidence on "Dusty's Royal Flush", pending "final" conformation from DNA lab @ Univ of KY, "we thinks" he is a "Silver Dun Buckskin"...based on microscopic analysis of his hair sample...

Getting too confusing for me...lol

Bill

Regardless of what they say, you have a very pretty horse that is an amazing color.

He's the complete package - good looks + a pretty color to boot :D

PS. It's a small world. Our oldest daughter lives in Headley and goes to school at Clarendon. She does day work and works at the feedlots part-time.

It's pretty county up where you live.

Latest posts