Unknown Issue - walks gingerly

Help Support CattleToday:

yep, had to throw that key word in. i suppose if its just flopping around in there causing discomfort its one thing and if its lodged into a heart or lung its a different story, lol. i wouldnt really bet on a magnet dislodging anything thats causing a problem though, unless it was heavy duty magnet. i suppose it could happen if it got close enough and depending on what the object was.

Had a cow several years ago that went off feed suddenly, laid down in the pasture, only getting up to move to the shade...she had a 1-mo. calf on her, and her milk dried up VERY quickly. Vet thought she had a tumor but suggested we try a magnet and penicillin. Did both and 24 hours later, she was hungry and recovered. Milk came back and all was well, a good thing because that calf was downright impossible to bottle feed. Guess we caught it in time before any damage was done. This is an old farm, and there is always lots of junk surfacing in the pastures...wire, pieces of metal and glass...I never walk out in the field without finding some thing. We put magnets in all of ours as a precaution.

It is considered a good practice to put magnets down every heifers on some dairy farms. Some follow up by checking with the slaughter house when they cull cows to see what shows up on those magnets. You wouldn't believe what on those magnets!

I'm not sure I'd want to see what was on one of our cow's magnets...glad we haven't had the opportunity. Actually, I would be curious though.

My back-up bull can up lame last week. Treatment for footrot showed slight improvement, then total relapse. Someone suggested that he was stifled & that meant the end of my bull - not good. I decided that a vet visit was the only definative solution (I wasn't sending him to the sale barn without at least a professional opinion) - he came this AM. I had the gingerly walking heifer up for observation & asked him what was causing her discomfort in what appeared to me to be all of her feet - his immediate answer was founder in all hooves/claws. Not sure why, but he pointed out that all hooves had horizontial cracks just below the hair line. He said she would grow out of it in time.