Unknown cause, please help

Help Support CattleToday:

k_ruschhaupt

Reaction score
I have a Brahman heifer that is about two months pregnant. She is having these spells where she is grinding her teeth and is very sluggish. She acts as if she has a bad headache. She presses her head against anything when possible and leans on the fence when standing or walking. When blood work was done nothing abnormal was found. This is now the second time that it has happened, the first time was just about a month ago. What could possibly be wrong with her?

Possible meningitis or encephalitis? Something with the nervous system? Hepatic disease possibly. ...

Hepatic encephalopathy is associated with behavioral changes in horses, ruminants, and swine. The severity of hepatic encephalopathy often reflects the degree of hepatic failure but does not differentiate between acute or chronic liver failure. Signs of hepatic encephalopathy range from nonspecific depression and lethargy to head pressing, circling, aimless walking, dysphagia, ataxia, dysmetria, persistent yawning, increased friendliness, aggressiveness, vicious behavior, stupor, seizures, or coma. Pharyngeal or laryngeal collapse with loud, stertorous inspiratory noises and dyspnea occurs in some cases of hepatic failure, especially in ponies. The pathogenesis of hepatic encephalopathy is unknown, but proposed theories include ammonia as a neurotoxin, alterations in monoamine neurotransmission (serotonin, tryptophan) or catecholamine neurotransmitters, imbalance between aromatic and short branch chain amino acids resulting in increased inhibitory neurotransmitters (γ-aminobutyric acid, L-glutamate), neuroinhibition due to increased cerebral levels of endogenous benzodiazepine-like substances, increased permeability of the blood-brain barrier, and impaired CNS energy metabolism. Although the signs can be dramatic, hepatic encephalopathy is potentially reversible if the underlying hepatic disease is resolved
What kind of blood work did they do? Has she had a fever? Does she have ataxia? How is her balance? How close did the vet check her over?
It could also be something nutritional related

Im not sure of every thing that was wrong with her because I am away from home going to school at Texas A & M. Thanks for your response but I just found out that the kid I sold her to put her down because appearently she was getting worse progressively fast. A lot of what you said seems to match what I have been told but like I said I'm not home and havent been able to go home.

Latest posts