Uncle p'd me off!

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
We lost "actually this one was dad's", a newborn bull calf because of uncle's mismanagement. He feeds the fish at the pond about everyday. Decided he leave the gate open and let the cows graze the bank and the small lot that's fenced off inside there. He knows that we don't do that especially when we have small young calves and expecting cows. Well he see's a cow above the pond in the pasture next to the fence and woods by herself. Well she might have a calf I'll go and check on her. He went up there but no calf, cow gets up and goes to the herd which was going in the fenced in pond area to graze so she goes in as well. Well she will probably have a calf by tomorrow and goes home. Dad and I check on her and the cows the next morning. She has a bloody string or discharge where she is laying, an afterbirth look. I couldn't find a calf laying anywhere around and she doesn't act like she has a calf. Thought maybe she is getting close and gonna calf that day. Checked on her 2 more times that day and each time grazing with herd but acting strange no bawling or searching but just strange. Well I went this morning to check on her again grazing with herd but she didn't like my presence. So I just stayed close to her as I could and she lead me straight to the pond to a dead floating baby bull. Seems like someone has to follow uncle around 24/7 or problems occur. That's life dealing with family and farming together. They don't work out very well. Hope to one day have the other farm paid for and fenced where our cows don't have to run on the old family farm.

Sorry about the loss but thought it was an interesting story. The following 2 sentences struck me:

That's life dealing with family and farming together. They don't work out very well.

It is not realistic to expect life to be as we wish it to be. Only in fairytales can life be perfect. Having said that, you need to throw his azz in the pond if he does something like that again.
:hat:

I hear you all! He's extremely lucky it wasn't one of mine. I would have thrown his butt in and he be paying me for my calf. Dad's too easy going and let's him get away with too much. He's also ran the tractor into the board fence and took out a post while trying to disk up a garden in late, late June. I'll end up having to repair that. He just creates problems playing hobby stupid farmer. Sorry if I insulted any hobby farmers but I hate that title. With whatever I'm raising (crops or livestock) I want it to clear at least a little money. It's a business not a hobby even if it's a low incoming one. It's the family farm that has been in the family since after the Revolution but sometimes I wish it was gone. Dad could have done so much more buying his own place, if he had forced it sold after my grandfather died instead of staying in it with his brothers. Seriously doubt it if it stays with any family members for another generation but that's me speculating. Again hopefully in a few years our livestock will be on the other farm that dad, my brother, and I have purchased. I Love My Whole Family but some of them was hid behind the doors when God gave out common sense.
Been looking for a calf to try and put on her but with not much luck. She's such a heavy milker, hate for her to not raise a calf. She's a 9 year old that hasn't ever screwed up. We hate to keep a cow not working but guess we will in this situation, as long as her bag don't go bad since it was mismanagement that caused the loss.

Mike. This is getting better. I had to smile at the behind the door comment.

Go ahead, son. Get this off your chest!

I know how family is..I'm sorry any animal is lost at a humans ignorance.. I am not chastising you but one thing I've learned is there's nothing like owning your own stuff or renting land without any other folks involved. The farm doesn't need to be sold but surveyed and split that's the best outcome for all parties and should have been done long ago it seems.

Am I right, that this man did this on property he owns, or partially owns?

Bigfoot":3kaa4qb0 said:
Am I right, that this man did this on property he owns, or partially owns?

I think you are correct but what I'm getting is those cattle he used to flash graze around the pond was not his.

Its a matter of responsibility not ownership or common sense. Even if he was the sole owner, you would expect responsible behavior.

I still say, throw his tired old azz in the pond. :cboy:

Live life for today for within in 24 hours today will be yesterday. Yesterday is where memories belong. Do not harbor on it. Try being a friend to your uncle might be surprised how that would work.

Look at another way, the only ones I have left are my kids and grandkids, all my parents, brothers, sister, uncles, aunts, cousins are now deceased, I am the only one left. As I have gotten older, how often I wish I could go back and ask them about the old days and family, things you do not care about when you are young. I agree 100 percent with Hurley. When my kids were young and they wrecked or blew the motor in my truck , I took it out on them, now I realize material things do not matter, now when something happens , what the heck :2cents: :cboy:

Every family dynamic works different. I promote everybody having their own place, and everybody doing their own thing. Less headaches, and it's always done your way.

It's a mixed up family system with the old farm. Dad and 2 of my uncles own the place. They have equal 3rd's and 3rd's in some of the cows. Each has some of their own cows. I supply the bulls, 1/2 of the equipment, do the winter feeding, keep all the records and book keeping, the replacement heifer lots and a large percentage of the labor required for daily routine to run my cows with their's. Some other cost are divided equally by number of head, like the recent herd work. Things can go smoothly a lot of times and it's good to have help for each other, it's just sometimes it doesn't. Guarantee if it was his cow he would had thought it through more and not let her in the gate or opened it.
Sky is probably right Papaw should have divided the place up into fourths before he passed, a fourth for each brother. It's in thirds now because one uncle did sell out to other three. Right now I don't think any brother wants to bust it and if they did decide to go that route they would have to draw from a hat or pull straws or something to see who gets which particular 3rd because they wouldn't be able to agree on who gets what.

hurleyjd":1cweele3 said:
Live life for today for within in 24 hours today will be yesterday. Yesterday is where memories belong. Do not harbor on it. Try being a friend to your uncle might be surprised how that would work.

Hurley,

Usually, I agree with you. Not in this case. If Mike does not throw his azz in the pond or inflict equal punishment, his Uncle might become a deadbeat, freeloader or dope head. Then, the only resolution would be a "hot piece of lead behind the left ear".

:D

My dad just bush hogged one of my calves. Can't get mad because I've torn up so much of his stuff over the years.

shaz":3bw0m3ee said:
My dad just bush hogged one of my calves. Can't get mad because I've torn up so much of his stuff over the years.
We've been chopping up fawns..so so sad...I tried so hard to keep an eye out, but got one the other day. Hopefully they are mostly old enough to run now...We had fertilizer put out this spring and I worried about calves getting run over...luckily the grass was way shorter than it is now...so, everyone survived...

cowboy43":gr8bzeh2 said:
Look at another way, the only ones I have left are my kids and grandkids, all my parents, brothers, sister, uncles, aunts, cousins are now deceased, I am the only one left. As I have gotten older, how often I wish I could go back and ask them about the old days and family, things you do not care about when you are young. I agree 100 percent with Hurley. When my kids were young and they wrecked or blew the motor in my truck , I took it out on them, now I realize material things do not matter, now when something happens , what the heck :2cents: :cboy:

Good post. Very true. I don't get on my kids for things as much as I would have been. For some reason, I specifically remember when my daughter was in middle school, she was making something with glitter at the kitchen table.

I asked her to be careful, but I got upthe next morning and there was glitter on the table, floor, chair, etc. it was a mess. My parents would probably have cut a switch had I done that.

I felt a little blood rush to my face, but I quickly thought, "so what." I'm sure the day will come when I wish I could wake up and see glitter all over everything and know my girl was close by.

My kids are good kids and always have been. So far, they haven't cost me any sleepless nights. So, I try to take things in stride.

herofan":3aiee9zp said:
cowboy43":3aiee9zp said:

Good post. Very true. I don't get on my kids for things as much as I would have been. For some reason, I specifically remember when my daughter was in middle school, she was making something with glitter at the kitchen table.

I asked her to be careful, but I got upthe next morning and there was glitter on the table, floor, chair, etc. it was a mess. My parents would probably have cut a switch had I done that.

I felt a little blood rush to my face, but I quickly thought, "so what." I'm sure the day will come when I wish I could wake up and see glitter all over everything and know my girl was close by.

My kids are good kids and always have been. So far, they haven't cost me any sleepless nights. So, I try to take things in stride.

Nice!! Win-win. That is a good formula. I would let my son get away with little white lies, little clandestine operations, small acts of terroism, minor breaking and entering, :D . I figure if you pin them down too tight they have no room to grow.

How big a farm and how many cows you talking? That sounds like a lot to keep up with yours mine and ours. I run some cows with my dads and at times its a pain. But we agree on most cow things.

Latest posts