Ultrablack heifer be honest!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

RiverHills

Reaction score
I like this heifer but just wanted to see what you all thought. I know she won't be a small cow. :D

The pics were taken over a month ago.
She was 6months and weaned 660#.
Please be honest

A view from the city. I see a heifer with a nice feminine head, a short, glossy hair coat and strong top line. Underneath she is firm and straight with what seems to be the makings of an excellent udder. Her feet, pasterns and legs are rock solid. She has adequate depth and width.
I have to nit-pick to fine these minor flaws; I'd like to see a longer rump and a lower, neater tail head. And I prefer them closer to the grass.
Her mother looks good too so that is a strong indicator of quality.

Need a good bull to clean up her sheath and add more depth. Her dam looks very rough and pinched not sure if I would call her as a quality cow.... otherwise the heifer is good as a commercial.

Muddy":2ojwhiid said:
Need a good bull to clean up her sheath and add more depth. Her dam looks very rough and pinched not sure if I would call her as a quality cow.... otherwise the heifer is good as a commercial.

I don't know what you mean by the dam is rough?? I would like to see more depth on the dam as well and a little more on the heifer.

The dam is 3 1/2 in the pic

RiverHills":19bjeox6 said:
Muddy":19bjeox6 said:

I don't know what you mean by the dam is rough?? I would like to see more depth on the dam as well and a little more on the heifer.

Pay no attention you be much wiser for it

RiverHills":52epteex said:
Muddy":52epteex said:

Just don't mind of Caustic Burno, he needs to get over of his silly grudge.

By rough, I meant her structure looks rough and I just didn't like her shoulder region and head tail region that much. But her daughter looks much better than the dam.

Muddy":3nim9otb said:

Heifers have a sheath ? Must be all this transgender stuff going on I guess.

The biggest problem I see with her is that both her and her dam are extremely shallow in the fore rib. The fact that the breeder did not make even a slight improvement on the damwith this mating is a concern. Not saying the heifer is useless, but that lack of depth should be at the top of the list to address when planning future matings.

The dams depth is not what I like to see but I thought the bull added some depth. :(

For learning purposes!!!
What are the benefits of depth in a working herd?
Pros and cons on depth?

RanchMan90":2zg4cn7y said:
Looks like a cowmaker. The only thing I could critique is the white belly, but a homozygous bull should address that.
If she is out of a Brangus and Angus..where is the white coming from?

I generally associate big barreled big capacity with grass type cattle with a big rumen to be more efficient on forage and the pencil gutted shallow cattle to be engineered for feed. It's not a hard and fast rule, but from an outside POV she'll work out if you like her.

She's Fancy and pretty to look at! When she gets mature just try and breed her to bulls with capacity/guts and your on the road. BTW, her look is better than her dam. B&G

Caustic Burno":2ms6zwov said:
Black and Good":2ms6zwov said:
She's Fancy and pretty to look at! When she gets mature just try and breed her to bulls with capacity/guts and your on the road. BTW, her look is better than her dam. B&G
Nuts guts and butts
+1

Latest posts