Ultra sounding

Help Support CattleToday:

cowwrangler

Reaction score
what has been your experiences with ultra sounding? are they calving when they say? the reason i am asking is i bought 5 bred hefeirs that were suppossed to be ultra sounded to calve mar 15 to mar 30.i know it can go a few days either way,the first 2 calved mar 13.1 calved mar 17 ,yesterday(april 20) one had a premeeie that just lived a couple hours,the other one still hasnt calved,the reason i bought them was for that short calving period the way they was advertised,i bought them at a salebarn and i got gate cut out of a group of 25,

It's a lot like palpating, depends on the skill of the operator at translating the results

+1 We have a guy in our area that does nothing but ultrasound. He can tell you how far along they are within +/- 1 day. He's very good at what he does. Perhaps the seller "tightened" up the window for a better sale?

Craig":9qv03r52 said:
+1 We have a guy in our area that does nothing but ultrasound. He can tell you how far along they are within +/- 1 day. He's very good at what he does. Perhaps the seller "tightened" up the window for a better sale?

i think so,i dont know if they armed them at the barn or not,they shoulda caught at least the one that had the premeeie

I have been buying a couple of registered cows from the same place every year for the last 6 years, they have been scanned and a due date from the scan given. I find that they have always calved within a couple of days of the due date, good operator. Having said that, last year I bought one of their donar cows fairly cheaply as she was open, well she calved right on time for the first insemination not even the clean up bull, I think I had a bit of a feeling about her before I bought her. She must have been scanned when the uterus was still very mobile and was displaced where the operator wasn't looking and he missed it completely, so the only bad experience I have had with ultrasound scanning has been completely in my favour.
Ken

You were given a 15 day window. Add two weeks before and two weeks after for gestation differences in sire/dam gestation tendiencies and even if the ultasounder was dead on I'd expect calves to come from March 1- April 15th. Nature of the beast.

Latest posts