Ultra Sabre

Help Support CattleToday:

Pointer1160

Reaction score
I have been using Ultra Boss which is a GREAT product. A friend of mine tried Ultra Sabre which he says is even better. What are your thoughts?

I have never heard of either of those products. What is their purpose?

Pointer1160":2605nwgh said:
I have been using Ultra Boss which is a GREAT product. A friend of mine tried Ultra Sabre which he says is even better. What are your thoughts?
Ultra Boss and Ultra Sabre are both made by Merck....Ultra Boss is cheaper.
Ultra Sabre 5% piperonyl butoxide 1% lambdacyhalothrin
Ultra Boss 5% piperonyl butoxide 5% permethrin

We have used Ultra Boss with good results. I like it best in the winter for lice.
Horn flies develop resistance to continual exposure to the same insecticide so it is recommended to rotate between
pyrethroids and organophosphates every couple of years.

What are your thoughts on application? Is it best to use rubs? Direct application? Both?

Just about any cattle spray on the market will kill the flies you get it on. Most have little residual affect other than smell.

I figured out something cool on application (of Ultra Boss). Usually, we bring the cattle up and pour them in a pen, so they can not get too far away to reach and pour. That can be a pain in the rear to bring them up, and I always worry about the smaller calves getting bumped or hurt. We had a huge break out of Pink Eye, so I have been hitting the cattle hard with fly control (we also use IGR in the mineral). Anyway, I could not find my applicator cup to pour with, and the average pour volume is 15 mls. I got the idea to use an old 20 ml syringe to pour them.... and tried it. Not only is it perfect (because you draw up the correct dosage), but you can squirt it from a distance! YES! So the last time I poured, I did it in the pasture! I just took the bottle out on the 4 wheeler, and a big cup. I poured the cup 3/4 the way full, and sucked up the 15 ml in the syringe. Then walk by a cow and squirt the liquid straight down the back and over the head! I could not believe how easy and fast it was to do it that way. You could do it from your UTV or even horseback if needed! You could even use a preloaded gun, or drenching gun, and not have to suck up each time like I did. Amazing that I did not think of that before.... but glad I lost my applicator cup!

I have the gun that goes in the gallon jug(came with it) can be set for the 15cc's or less for calves, I can spray them as fast as I can walk.

bse":3hckvl4p said:
I have the gun that goes in the gallon jug(came with it) can be set for the 15cc's or less for calves, I can spray them as fast as I can walk.
I wonder why I did not get a gun with my purchase? I will have to ask next time I go in....sure would make things easier.

I have been using Ultra Boss. Is very effective for Horn and Deer flys. Usually use once per week and a half. Merck rep. said can use when needed. But can only use Saber four times per year . Those of you that use Saber how often do you use it ? Good discussion.

Latest posts