Ultra thin cow has me concerned

Help Support CattleToday:

Just to clarify the calf will be going at some point we're definitely not keeping it in the sense of breeding it on. What I meant was do I need to get rid of the calf now as a matter of urgency or would it be ok to grow it on until its a year old (completely separate from any breeding stock) and then sell it on?

I'm not being careless I'm just wondering how alarmed I should be? Also I've just realised that the cow that we bought that had Johnes came with another heifer so I think I will get that cow tested as well. Heck might even get the herd vaccinated. And we will definitely test for Johnes on all new incoming stock from now on rather than just bvd.

Just to clarify the calf will be going at some point we're definitely not keeping it in the sense of breeding it on. What I meant was do I need to get rid of the calf now as a matter of urgency or would it be ok to grow it on until its a year old (completely separate from any breeding stock) and then sell it on?

I'm not being careless I'm just wondering how alarmed I should be? Also I've just realised that the cow that we bought that had Johnes came with another heifer so I think I will get that cow tested as well. Heck might even get the herd vaccinated. And we will definitely test for Johnes on all new incoming stock from now on rather than just bvd.
As far as I know - and hopefully someone else will either chime in or correct me - there is no vaccine currently for Johne's. I believe they are working on approval for one in Canada but not in the US and I don't know about the UK.

Just my two cents: I'd sell the cow/calf pair now and the previous heifer as well.