Udder & Milk Problem - 1st Calf Angus Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

tim-in-loomis

Reaction score
We have a 20 mo. 1st calf Angus heifer. She calved 30 days ago; easy birth. Calf suckled and has fed regularly for 1st three weeks. This week it seemed Momma stopped producing, as her udders have shrunk up and the calf is feeding off hay alot and has given up chasing Momma.

We are going to have a vet out next week. Any ideas on what may be wrong with Momma? She's getting alot of hay this past month. Do we need to supplement the calf w/replacement milk?

Thank you.

I don't know that I would spend money on this cow for the vet. She should maybe just go down the road ~ you don't mention any injury or illness in regards to her so there is no reason she should have stopped milking. Yes, feed the calf milk replacer, at this stage though it may be a real rodeo. Those babies are little but they can surely work what they have. If calf is heifer, finish her or sell. Thats just my advice,,,

If the cow is in decent shape (body condition) go a head and sell her. no need to feed her thru the winter when she is not doing the job. You can try getting the calf on milk replacer but it will be tough, calves that have nursed a xcow are pretty hard to get to take a bottle.

Probably the best bet if the calf is eating hay and has feed is to feed it a little grain and topdress the feed with milk replacer or pellets.

Then decide to sell calf at appropriate weight or finish it out and butcher

tim-in-loomis":3pnxmsgd said:
We have a 20 mo. 1st calf Angus heifer. She calved 30 days ago; easy birth. Calf suckled and has fed regularly for 1st three weeks. This week it seemed Momma stopped producing, as her udders have shrunk up and the calf is feeding off hay alot and has given up chasing Momma.

We are going to have a vet out next week. Any ideas on what may be wrong with Momma? She's getting alot of hay this past month. Do we need to supplement the calf w/replacement milk?

Thank you.
Could it be that you just are not seeing the calf nurse? If the bag is shrunk it usually means the calf got it all. If the calf stops nurseing the bag will usually swell.
To know all you have to do is put her in a chute and milk her or even better watch more. If the calf tries to suck does the cow kick it away? If the calf does not try to nurse it may be full. As calves grow older they will not nurse as often and sometimes it hard to catch them at it. A hungry calf will usually try and nurse for a long time even if the cow has no milk. You may even try pulling the calf over night and checking the cow in the morning to see if the bag fills up.

tim-in-loomis":20tsyjlt said:

Thank you.

She calved at 19 months of age? Perhaps she's just not mature enough to raise a calf? What kind of body condition is she in? If she's not getting enough nutrition to maintain herself, she's not going to make milk for that baby. I'd try to start supplementing the baby with some sweet feed and see what the vet suggests.

If the rest of your cows are milking well on your feeding program, cull the cow and calf.

Udders??? How many does she have? sorry couldn't resist. one udder, 4 quarters (teats).
What is her body condition? Calving at 19 months of age, she needs plenty of QUALITY feed - what quality is your HAY?
As said, you may not be seeing the calf suck. You won't know, unless you seperate them for 1/2 day and turn them back together - and watch. Is the calf losing condition?

if the calf didn't get milk it would have been starved by now, even if it did get milk for three weeks.

After a cow calves, the udder has a lot of swelling, in about 3 weeks, the swelling decreases, I think your calf is getting milk.

tim-in-loomis":9vtduu6q said:

Thank you.

Need to put the heifer in the chute and milk her, could be a lot of things here two year old losing her teeth having trouble maintaining. As far as the calf starting to get after grass and hay that is normal as it takes three weeks for the rumen to develop.

Does not sound like anything wrong to me. IMO you are not catching her milking. If the calve is growing i would say she is OK.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3636o1p4 said:
We're talking to ourselves - original poster never came back! Don't you love it.

A good conversation, nonetheless! :lol: No, not really. :roll:

Latest posts