Two stage clutch

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
My massey has a two stage clutch. What was the thinking behind these? I think I like the single stage better.

The idea behind them was so you could stop the transmission but not the pto. So you could change gears without stopping the pto.

somn has it right. It was an improvment over the single stage clutch and not as good as a independent pto. I have had both, the independent pto rules but you can make a two stage clutch work just fine.
Dave

So as not to confuse people a tractor with independent hydraulic pto also uses a single stage clutch. It will have an additional seperate clutch for the pto. So a dual stage clutch isn't really always better than a single stage clutch.

I have a 135 massey which we bought new in 1971 , we had a choice between a two stage clutch and independent pto , but we chose the two stage clutch because with that you have ground speed PTO which turns with your wheel speed . At that time we had a 3pth rake which when we ran it in ground speed it ran like a pull type ground driven rake , I have a rotary rake now and I like to run it in ground speed because it handles the hay easier, you must shift pto out when you back up because when you back up the pto goes backwards. for regular pto work an independent pto is best , but the ground speed feature is nice for certain jobs .

Shorty what good is a two stage clutch with a transmission pto? Two stage clutches are only good for a live pto.

The two stage clutch has nothing to do with the ground speed pto speed pto, it is used to give you live pto for regular pto work , the ground speed pto can be shifted in or out anytime the wheels are not turning , it was a feature that was only available on tractors with a two stage clutch , you couldn't get ground with independent pto. I'm pretty sure nobody even makes ground speed pto anymore , and I think massey was the only one at that time.

shorty":wdq8o7bh said:
The two stage clutch has nothing to do with the ground speed pto speed pto, it is used to give you live pto for regular pto work , the ground speed pto can be shifted in or out anytime the wheels are not turning , it was a feature that was only available on tractors with a two stage clutch , you couldn't get ground with independent pto. I'm pretty sure nobody even makes ground speed pto anymore , and I think massey was the only one at that time.
So your tractor has live pto and transmission pto? Never knew that was possible very interesting.

somn":3lx4x5w9 said:
shorty":3lx4x5w9 said:
So your tractor has live pto and transmission pto? Never knew that was possible very interesting.
It sure does.

shorty":lydyzmv9 said:
I'm pretty sure nobody even makes ground speed pto anymore , and I think massey was the only one at that time.

Farmtrac has several models with ground speed pto. I know the models that have the Carraro rear end and transmission have it. Several of the European brands still offer ground speed. I just bought a Deutz Fahr and saw in the owners manual that some models have ground speed. Some European equipment manufacturer's of pulled type equipment have powered axles on the equipment and the ground speed is used to help the tractor through the fields. I've seen some pictures of manure spreaders like that. Pretty good way to apply extra power and traction to the ground.

Two stage works well with PTO equipment. When bushhogging and the load is heavier in a low or wet spot to depress the clutch half way stops or slows the tractor while the bh hits the heavy grass or bush. I think it would help hay baling also but I don't have much experience there. Two stage is a great bushhoging tool.

Latest posts