Two questions--mucos and twins

Help Support CattleToday:

dburkhart

Reaction score
I have two separate questions--First, I have a cow that has be discharging for a month -- normal?

Also, is there a way besides palpitation to tell if a cow will have twins?

Some cows discharge for a long time, some only for a few days. Unless it is smelly or bloody, she is fine.

The best way to tell if you have twins, is to wait until she has them. A good vet may be able to tell, but not always. I suppose that ultrasound might work as well.

Id say preg her and find out depending how far along she is. Id think if you could feel one you should also be able to feel two.

dburkhart":1n5fsmxn said:
I have two separate questions--First, I have a cow that has be discharging for a month -- normal?

Yes, it can be perfectly normal. Not all cows are alike - some discharge, and other's don't.

Also, is there a way besides palpitation to tell if a cow will have twins?

Yes, ultrasound. I have no idea what the cost would be. We generally just waited until they calved to find out how many - it was kind of like Christmas in March(or April, and sometimes May), so to speak. ;-) :lol: :lol:

Cows do get very round with single calves sometimes, most of the time for me when one of my cows has twins she gets so big she can hardly get up. I just wait and see. And what Randiliana said about the discharge,

Latest posts