Two of our heifers-I finally got pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
The black one is my daughters 3/4 maine heifer and the other one is my son's reg hereford. I know they need more feeding buhttp://cattletoday.com/photos/data/50 ... _1956.JPGt we have 3 months till fair time. What do you think?
100_1949.JPG

They look OK Showmom, the hereford heifer could have done with a bit more depth and capacity, but I don't see any serious faults, you'll need to feed a high energy ration to get her where she can compete.

I like the hindquarter on the MaineX heifer, hope your son has a good time showing them.

I definitely like the Maine better. She just has more eye appeal and substance than the Hereford, even though I'm not a big fan of Herefords anyway.

But they look pretty good. :)

-Angus Girl

They look good. I too could point a few faults like having a like thicker rear quarter on the Hereford with a slightly more depth and capacity, but all in all they like alright. One thing to note, the show season is coming on so now is the time to get working on their hair. Hair can "cover up" faults to an extent. Good luck. I'll look you up at the State Fair this year if I get a chance.

The heifers are nice, the Maine heifer does have more volume than the hereford, the hereford looks kind of pinched in the flank, but put her on a good ration, and pour the beet pulp to her. This will help get some gut on her and bring that flank down. We feed about 5-6 pounds of beet pulp when we're trying to get more gut in one. You can soak it in water or feed it dry try both and let the heifer tell you which way she likes it best. My son usually breaks up the 5-6 lbs between two feedings. Some calves like it some don't but it never hurts to try it and see. A 40 lb bag (I believe they're 40 lbs) runs about 9.95 a sack.

I'm not a Hereford fan. She is a little shallow, but looks pretty nice. The Maine is much better. She might be just a touch coarse in her shoulder. Hair and clipping cah fix it.

Now is the time to start rinsing, brushing, and getting them out of the sun and under fans and misters throughout the daylight hours.

Latest posts