Twins

Help Support CattleToday:

jtbakv

Reaction score
So one of my cows had twins yesterday and I saw one of the calves suck yesterday but the other I didn't see until today. is it possible for one of the calves to get all of the colostrum?
Both may have sucked yesterday but I'm not 100% positive.

I think if the second one had enough energy today to suck that it got something yesterday. Count yourself lucky if she is taking to both of them.

Yes at first she left one laying on the ground hid in some hay and went to the other end of the field until i noticed she had twins. I brought them back together and she was licking the other calf I put all 3 in a stall in the barn will be keeping them together for a few days to make sure they all bond. both calves are sucking today and looking good. momma is in good shape and I'm feeding her plenty to keep her strong. I didn't see the one calf sucking yesterday so was wondering if it would have gotten the colustrum she will need.

jtbakv":ga2any34 said:
I didn't see the one calf sucking yesterday so was wondering if it would have gotten the colustrum she will need.
No way to know for sure and too late to do anything about it now if it didn;t. Cows with twins will frequently stash the calves away from each other for a couple of days. They still take care of them both, just not at the same time.

DUN-
Did I do the right thing by putting them all together to bond or could I have left them in the field. I know it would have depended on several things. What would you have done??

If she's taking care of both I would have left them in the pasture

jtbakv":1xiton54 said:
big and healthy last rib showing but good considering twins.

I ask becuase the twins may pull her down really quick. The cows here that have had twins (that we were successfully able to keep both alive) were brought up to the front, away from the other cows to feed moma seperately.

jtbakv":zj3evaot said:
DUN-
Did I do the right thing by putting them all together to bond or could I have left them in the field. I know it would have depended on several things. What would you have done??

With the two separated by that much distance; I think you did the right thing. A cow of mine had twins and she was showing a definite preference for one. I put the three of them in a small lot. The one she preferred slipped under the fence and the other one spent the night alone with her. By the time I got the preferred one back with her; she was well bounded with both. I'd rather be lucky than good! ;-)

We had an old recip have twins this year, all we can figure is the embroyo split after placement. The cow let both nurse but the next day was loving on one and knocking the heck out of the other. We didn't want to take the chance of her killing the one calf so I have been bottle feeding her. We could have left the calf in with mamma but my thought process was this 10 year old cow just didn't feel she could deal with two or after eight babies just wasn't gonna have any part of taking care of two. And I wasn't willing to risk loseing a nice heifer with those genetics. I don't know if I made the right decision or not but I made the one that seemed right at the time, both heifers are doing good of course the one on mamma is growing better than the bottle baby but the genetic package is still in both, and the bottle baby will catch up eventually.

Gizmom
http://www.gizmoangus.com

gizmom":16rnc7ay said:
We had an old recip have twins this year, all we can figure is the embroyo split after placement. The cow let both nurse but the next day was loving on one and knocking the heck out of the other. We didn't want to take the chance of her killing the one calf so I have been bottle feeding her. We could have left the calf in with mamma but my thought process was this 10 year old cow just didn't feel she could deal with two or after eight babies just wasn't gonna have any part of taking care of two. And I wasn't willing to risk loseing a nice heifer with those genetics. I don't know if I made the right decision or not but I made the one that seemed right at the time, both heifers are doing good of course the one on mamma is growing better than the bottle baby but the genetic package is still in both, and the bottle baby will catch up eventually.

Gizmom
http://www.gizmoangus.com
Hubby & I questioned just the other day, if an embryo could split AFTER implant. We had 45# embryo heifer born the other day - only lived 2 days. But, I had hubby check the recip for another calf. 45# :shock: no other calf.
Congrats on twin HEIFERS!!! (I HATE TWINS - also had a set the other day -was not a good day - born outside - hfr/bull - both doa)

Jeanne

I wasn't sure about the embryos spliting we sill dna test the calves to verify parentage, I did ask the vet and he told me it was possible so for now I am saying they are embryo calves. I sure hope they don't make a liar out of me the cow and bull of the embryos have both been dead for awhile so there won't be anymore of them.

Gizmom

yes they can split after implanting, not had direct experience of this but it is what my embryologist told me.

Well I hate twins but in the case I am going to say WHOOOO HOOOOO cause they are both doing really good! I hate having to bottle feed but in this case I can sure stand a little extra labor. I will try to remember to post results after we do the DNA test, my memory isn't what it once was (and that was never really very good) but I will try!

Gizmom

Latest posts