Twins!

Help Support CattleToday:

GANGGREEN

Reaction score
OK, just a couple of questions about my new twins. I have a first calf Hereford heifer that I've been watching for a week or so, waiting for her first calf. She was bred to a purebred Highland bull and now I'm glad that she was as she dropped twin calves last night. She seemed to be having trouble nursing them this morning, I don't know if it was just a first calf heifer thing or if she was bothered by having two of them. We got them fixed up and I think she and they are both fine now.

My questions are, how unusual is it for twins to be born in general with cows? I think I've read that it's even more unusual than in humans? Is that true? Secondly, will she be likely to birth twins forever now or is it possible that this was just a fluke that won't re-occur? Lastly, are twin calves like humans in that they can be fraternal or identical? These two little bulls can't be distinguished by their markings, they appear to be identical?

Here they are......

Bellascalves006.jpg

I will take a whack at it in general terms

I can not site numbers but twinning in beef cattle is not an uncommon occurance.

In a fifty cow herd, one year, we had four sets.

but most years we had none.

The Clay Center in Nebraska once had a study going on where they were looking at incidence of twinning and heritability and productivity. I do not know if it is still ongoing.

I think that partiular animals incidence of twinning again is only slightly higher than normal as I have never had a cow twin more than once.

but some cows do have a propensity toward multiple births. Only way to tell is breed her again and then sonogram at about 60 days.

when we began to do breeding synchrony I was a bit concerned that it might increase our twins but oddly it seems to have moderated it as we have not had a set in five or six years now. Having said that i will probably be covered up with them next year.

I would probably feed that heifer a little bit to help her maintain some condition and have a chance of cycling back and getting bred again. Twins can be awfully hard on a young cow if she has a tendency to produce milk.

Thanks for the insight Jim. My gut tells me that most animals, even the larger ruminants, commonly have multiple births but I thought I had read somewhere that it was more unusual than in humans. Of course I don't know what the incidence is in humans either. :lol:

I'm just happy that she did OK during her first go-around and that both calves seem healthy. Of course she'll be bred again this summer and we'll know soon enough how common it will be with her.

I agree with what Jim said. I have a herd that constantly twins and another that does not. Its tough on heifers so I agree with the extra feed for her. In my herd that twins often I had three sets this year and all are doing well. Good luck with them.

We have had years no twins and then we have a cow suddenly drop a set.
Had a cow years ago that dropped a set of twins as a 4yo and then dropped another set as a 7yo. That was a big surprise because most of ours do not have twins again. But that is just our herd.

I would see about finding a cow that lost her calf and get one of those twins on her. Nursing twins will take a cow down pretty good and on a heifer it will be more.

We have left twins on a cow before and they just did not grow as well and have had the cow later reject one of them.
JMO.

I've never had recurrence from the cow. Got a set of twin cows in with the herd. One is brindle and one is black. Born in '03 and both nice cows. They each have calved regularly and neither has had twin calves themselves.

If that cow's udder is normal it is not going to be enough for those two bulls calves. Consider grafting one onto a nurse cow. Alternatively you can pour the feed to them and to the cow. It will set the cow back and the two calves will not be growing to their full natural potential.

There is a widow lady locally who will take in calves and graft them to one of her nurse cows for $2.50 a day (I think). You might ask around to see if there is such a person in your area if you are interested. The calf that is grafted is going to be getting more than the calf you choose to leave on its natural dam. 100 days will cost you $250. Probably well worth it.

Twins can be a blessing or they can be a curse. It all depends on your situation. Your cow is a beef cow. She's not prepared to produce the milk it takes. She will probably be fine for a few weeks. Then the intake of the calves will increase.

If these were mine, I would absolutely pull one. Especially considering this is the first time for the dam to calve.

Yeah! :D Twins are so fabulous. I had three sets of twins, one momma had two sets, which she took very good care of, no problems. When my other mother had her set, she was totally over-whelmed and ingored one and it had to be bottled-fed.The only thing you would really need to worry about is the sex of the twins. If both twins are either male or female, fertility is normal. If a female is born twin to a male, then there is a pretty good chance that the female is infertile. She would be called a free-martin. I hope all is well and you enjoy the twins and the double paycheck! :pretty:

Lucky you...we never have had a set of twins. A neighbor has them every other year or so, kind of envy him but then again they are hard on the cow. DMc

Susie David":2jmw9d4f said:
Lucky you...we never have had a set of twins. A neighbor has them every other year or so, kind of envy him but then again they are hard on the cow. DMc
Little piece of advice for ya. Don't ever wish for twins. There are more trouble than they are good.

novaman":29rcjpv1 said:
Susie David":29rcjpv1 said:
Little piece of advice for ya. Don't ever wish for twins. There are more trouble than they are good.

Hear, hear!

I have a cow that has had twins every year (3 years) when we AI'd her, this year she was pasture bred and only had 1. She's the only cow we've ever had to have twins consecutively.

redcowsrule33":2rw70b7r said:
novaman":2rw70b7r said:
Susie David":2rw70b7r said:

Hear, hear!

i agree. i thought that it was a miracle to have twins. it was a nightmare. not knowing if the cow will make it because her bcs will drop fast or the one of the twin will not make it. usually, one will be a dominate the other one. so far, both made it and about three month olds. so far they are grazing grass more than milking. goodluck and hopes for the best. uscangus, :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I was really concerned about this heifer because it was her first go around but so far she's doing OK. When the calves were born, her udder wasn't very big at all but now, two days later, she's filled up pretty well and both seem to be getting a belly full. For what it's worth, I'll feed her to keep her condition up but I'm not sure exactly what type of feed or how much would be best for her.

Initially she had a favorite that was allowed to nurse anytime he wanted and the other was booted around quite a bit but, again, she seems to be coming around and she's taking good care of both now.

I'll consider the advice to find a nurse cow because I'd really hate for the heifer to suffer any or have a hard time. The problem is that I only have a handful of cows (the Hereford was the first one to calve this year and I hope that the others all keep their calves) so I don't have a nurse cow and don't know of anyone nearby that does but I will ask around and take advantage of it if I'm able.

Thanks again, it's nice to ask these sort of questions and get helpful advise so quickly.

i have never had a successful set, had a set this year and didn't know it till we found the dead calf, it was left behind. had a set born too early a couple of years ago both were dead bull and heifer. i have seen some people have several, a friend of mine had a set that weaned off at over 700 pounds a piece but he fed them and the cow.

You guys that have had twins - did the cow "look" like she was gonna have twins? I mean, I've got one heifer that is huge when compared to other bred heifers... I wondered if they really "showed" differently than one's with a single calf.

I have been around cows all my life and have never ever visually predicted a set of twins.

I have a cow now that has enough belly on her that she looks like she is about to give birth and she is not due til Mid September.

pdfangus":29aapuzx said:
I have been around cows all my life and have never ever visually predicted a set of twins.

I have a cow now that has enough belly on her that she looks like she is about to give birth and she is not due til Mid September.
This is so for me as well. I had no idea mine had twins until the vet said "More feet!" as he was in up to his elbows.

No indications here either.

An old cattle vet told me he actually felt two once when he palpated. That is unusual because of the way they normally position themselves.

Hello Gangreen / Everyone,

I just read this morning about a hobby farmer in Iowa who had a cow give birth to triplets, two heifers and a bull.
In the article, the local veterinarian said it was rare for triplets, but it does happen at approx.every 100 000 births. The most extreme rare part is all the triplets were born alive and healthy, little under weight considering it was three of them, but healthy.

P.S. the mother did not have any problems with nursing, and let all three nurse.

This is something I learned this morning, I always thought cows can only give birth to one calf only.
Learn something new every day!

http://livestock-id.blogspot.com

Latest posts