Twins won't grow!

Help Support CattleToday:

UbiCaritas

Reaction score
I have a pair of twins born on March 10. One was 45 pounds, the other 35. Mother showed little interest in either. I took the little one to the house and have been bottle-feeding her since, while the mother eventually took the other calf. She doesn't have a lot of milk, but should be enough for one small calf. The trouble is, neither twin is growing. At 2 weeks, the little one weighed 36 pounds and she hasn't put on much more since. She's getting milk replacer and calf starter. The other is getting her mother's milk, with mother on extra feed. We've been medicating mama, too, who is not looking very good, and I don't think she ever cleaned properly even after all the meds. I'll post questions about mama elsewhere.

Any ideas?

How much milk replacer is the little one getting? Is it at least 20% fat and protein?

I have been gradually increasing from 10% of her body weight daily so that now she's getting about 15%, without any sign of scours. (She did scour at the beginning, also had a fever, treated with penicillin). It's a 20/20 mix, all milk-based, no soy. She wants more than I'm willing to give her... her belly rounds out like a beach ball and she still wants to keep drinking. She gets milk replacer three times a day, and free choice starter.

UbiCaritas":b7yd8h6e said:
I have been gradually increasing from 10% of her body weight daily so that now she's getting about 15%, without any sign of scours.

So she's getting 5.4 pints of replacer a day? Is that right?

UbiCaritas":3cin0d23 said:
Yes, about 5.4 pints is right. Increasing gradually as she tolerates it.

That's not enough - she needs to be getting 8 pints, or as close to 8 pints a day as she will eat and then increased to 8 pints as she grows. Increase it about a half pint every 2 or 3 feedings depending on how well she tolerates the last increase until she is getting a gallon of replacer a day. I personally feed my bottle babies more, but that is just me. Since she is so small, you would probably be farther ahead to cut that gallon into 3 or 4 feedings - if possible - so she doesn't have to go so long between feedings as her little tummy might not be able to handle 4 pints at once.

Hmm, well, if that's not enough, then I'm confused, because the Vet and the Beef Cattle Science books and all the papers I can find on University Extension sites recommend 10% of body weight daily. My maternal instinct certainly leads me toward feeding her more!

UbiCaritas":30syo2s6 said:
Hmm, well, if that's not enough, then I'm confused, because the Vet and the Beef Cattle Science books and all the papers I can find on University Extension sites recommend 10% of body weight daily. My maternal instinct certainly leads me toward feeding her more!

If it were enough, wouldn't the calf be growing? I've never fed less than 1 gallon of replacer to any of my bottle calves and have not had a problem. Your case is a little different as this calf only weighs 36 pounds and probably can't handle a gallon yet. Obviously it's your call, but if she were mine I would be feeding her as close to 8 pints a day as she would eat.

UbiCaritas":2mj3xp1h said:

If they want it I have a hard time seeing how it is a problem to feed them more, up to a point of course!! When they are on mama, their bellies tell them when they are full.

The two biggest reasons people have runty bottle calves is either they are trying to feed them garbage or they aren't feeding enough. You said your maternal instinct is telling you to feed more - is that because she is still hungry when you are done feeding her? Our bottle calves - at least at that age - have always been fed to the point that they are no longer eating - they just play with the nipple.
Also she should be being fed 3-4 times a day as milkmaid mentioned already while she is young.

They are right. The calves are not getting enough to eat. They should be getting no less than 1 gallon a day. If you can be there for a 3rd feeding that wouldn't hurt either. 1/2 gallon at a time.

Latest posts