• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calf won't eat Grain

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi I have 5 bottle calves 2 to 4 weeks old 3 will eat Grain on their own, 1 eats it out of my hand. The calf this post is about, is 4 weeks old, he won't open his mouth so I can get the grain in him, not even if I hold the bottle up by his mouth to fool him. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Last one I had that wouldnt eat, i shoved it in a 10x10 pen with water and a bucket of feed. That evening the feed was gone. She decided once that's all there was, she was gonna eat it.

OP
H

Hereford2

Reaction score
Ok, thanks I will probably have to do that, he even has a calf in with him who eats grain to show him how.

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
They are all different aren't they? Lol
I've found when they miss the morning bottle and have a small pen and nothing else to eat, they figure it out pretty quick!

OP
H

Hereford2

Reaction score
They sure are, I took 1 of his bottles away today, to try to get him to eat the grain.

OP
H

Hereford2

Reaction score
This morning I gave him grain , right after he finished his bottle, but I put it in a Red feeder instead of the white one I was using and he started sniffing it, and went right to eating grain.!!

Latest posts