Twins followup

Help Support CattleToday:

Annie

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, the weaker calf is nursing like a pro! They both appear healthy and active, but now that is is daylight and everybody is up and around we noticed the smaller calf is very (calf kneed?) and down on his pasterns. Is this caused by lack of room and will it correct itself with time and exercise? Is there anything I should do? I love all the common sense responses that come off of this board.
Thanks

Annie":ziin6pde said:
we noticed the smaller calf is very (calf kneed?) and down on his pasterns. Is this caused by lack of room and will it correct itself with time and exercise? Is there anything I should do?

Probably a result of compression during birth. Consult a vet for a steroid shot that might help.

its a twin calf. its just been living in cramped quarters. will grow out of it. just make sure he gets his fair share till he gets on his feet good.

milkmaid":11d1ijbh said:
Vitamin or mineral shot. Like Bo-Se (selenium + vit E). Not steroid.

Why not a steroid? Standard treatment for nerve damage by our vet has always been steroids. BoSe wouldn't help nerve damage, would it?

To the best of my knowledge, a cramped calf doesn't have nerve damage - he's just lacking strength and likely shortened tendons due to lack of space.

I can't give a precise explanation of why the vitamins and minerals help; all I know is that they're neccessary for proper development and frequently a dose of B12, A&D, and Bo-Se improves a calf's attitude and fixes minor skeletal or muscle/tendon problems.

Regarding damaged nerves though - I believe Jeanne said the vitamin B complex helps with healing nerve ends. I usually think of steriods for inflammation and bringing down swelling.

The calf is much straighter today, we turned them out with the herd and they are doing just great, in fact it is hard to tell the weaker one from the stronger one! Mom is having a time keeping up with 2 curious calves.

milkmaid":1o9ybfpp said:
To the best of my knowledge, a cramped calf doesn't have nerve damage - he's just lacking strength and likely shortened tendons due to lack of space.

That may be the case. The only cases of weak front legs we've experienced have been from prolonged birth, where the feet and nose are squeezed together. This results in nerve problems which we've been told clear up a little quicker with a steroid shot. I don't even know what steroid it is, because we usually just tell the vet what's going on and stop by to pick up a shot.

jkwilson- Next time you talk with your vet, would you ask what the drug is you're giving the calves? curiosity on my part. ;-) Thanks.

milkmaid":2cw1s8ro said:
jkwilson- Next time you talk with your vet, would you ask what the drug is you're giving the calves? curiosity on my part. ;-) Thanks.

Will do. I hope it's a long time before I talk to him though ;-)

jkwilson":1srbr93q said:
milkmaid":1srbr93q said:

Will do. I hope it's a long time before I talk to him though ;-)

When we had the calfsickle the vet gave her cortozone.

dun

I'ld keep an eye on the cow for body condition, they'll milk themselves to skin and bones. The good ones will anyway.

dun

Latest posts