Twin??? Can't find it

Help Support CattleToday:

mom to 4

Reaction score
Sunday morning one of my 5 yr. old cows had a bull calf(small but spunky). She still looked awfully big bellied to me. I 've been looking at her twice a day when I check the herd. This morning (Thursday) I saw her with the 4 day old calf. She looked a bit thinner and had a little bit of a bloody string behind. Looked all over the hollow where she came from and looked over the rest of the pasture as well. Couldn't find anything dead or alive. I've seen on a couple other threads where it's possible for cows to have twins days apart. Don't know if she had a twin, or this is left over from 4 days ago. The cow's mother was a twin. I bottle fed her. Any thoughts?

mom to 4":3nyr2vq1 said:
Sunday morning one of my 5 yr. old cows had a bull calf(small but spunky). She still looked awfully big bellied to me. I 've been looking at her twice a day when I check the herd. This morning (Thursday) I saw her with the 4 day old calf. She looked a bit thinner and had a little bit of a bloody string behind. Looked all over the hollow where she came from and looked over the rest of the pasture as well. Couldn't find anything dead or alive. I've seen on a couple other threads where it's possible for cows to have twins days apart. Don't know if she had a twin, or this is left over from 4 days ago. The cow's mother was a twin. I bottle fed her. Any thoughts?
ok you said you seen her with a bull calf on sunday.then you see her again with a calf this morning.so was the calf she brought up a bull or heifer.im betting she has the other calf hidout somewhere.

the calf I saw her with this morning was her 4 day old calf. I'm hoping it's just hid out. As soon as I can feed the kids some lunch, I'm headed back out to look some more. I'm going to be sure the dog goes with me too. She might find it, or at least mama cow will get a little nervous and give me some clues.

sidney411":2i0o8g7j said:
She's probably just finishing cleaning out.

Thats what I was thinking as well. Sometimes it takes a couple of days.

I'm beginning to think she just wasn't finished cleaning out. Found her this afternoon lying on top of a hill with her 4 day old calf chewing her cud looking very content. No sign of any other calf anywhere. She came galloping down at feeding time looking pretty big bellied. Could have been the way she was standing when I thought she was thinner this morning. All I can do now is keep watching. Thanks for your input.

sometimes they can look a little drawn up after calving and then look like they havent even calved the next day... who knows.

Latest posts