turnip greens

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
has any of you ever planted green for fall or winter pastures if so what kind. when did you plant and was it worth the cost.

Never tried it. But read an interesting article in the Angus Journal or (well the newspaper looking thing you get from them when you by a registered bull) this year about a guy planting turnips. It sounded doable so I looked into buying a bag of turnip seeds and they weren't that much. I got a little concerned when he talked about them choking on the roots though. If I did this, me and the cows would be fighting over dem turnips :lol: I like my greens!

We haven't tried greens, we're doing pearl millett this year. I hve been reading about forage turnips. They say that their good after they get used to them and they relieve compaction in the soil naturally.

Good quality forage. You need to put out some roughage though to prevent the squirts with them though... the brassicas are VERY watery plants. Sometimes a light cultivation to break out the roots is handy, because sometimes they'll just eat the tops and bite off the top of the bulb if the soil is tight. Strip or limit grazing is probably a good idea. OL JR :)

I second that you should try to offer them something other than strictly turnips. Once I helped a guy move his herd from a turnip field to pasture and WOW there was quite a cloud following them down the road...as well as some (actually a lot of) green stuff on the road marking their path... ;-) at least I was at the front of the herd! - but they were fat and happy, that's for sure!

I know a guy who tried them where they have a sandy soil. He said that the sand that stuck to the bulb was hard on the cow's teeth. He said they worked great for yearling as their teeth don't have to last that long.

Latest posts