Turkeys

Help Support CattleToday:

Other than on a bottle label, I haven't seen a wild turkey in over a dozen years.
Coyotes
When I was child there were none here turkeys or coyotes. Now they are both plentiful. We see turkeys almost every day. Sometimes just a few and sometimes big groups of twenty or more.

I have a few around. People here who have bigger flocks claim they have a lot less snakes. If that is true I could use a bunch more of them. The mountain lions are hard on then. The turkeys roost in the juniper trees. The cats wait until after dark, easily climb the tree, and have turkey dinner even if it is not Thanksgiving.

We have a ridiculous amount of turkeys!!! Front & back yard, literally right by the house. Barnyard, right outside the workshop, by the bale rings, in the pastures and especially around Hubby's hunting blind during the fall/winter. They're not really scared of us and completely ignore the barn cats. The struggle is real.
1630708711863.jpeg

Other day we were over checking cattle, and heard what I figure was a young tom, my wife started trying to imitate his sound and and it answered her back several times.

Here is a long but funny story. As I said, we have tons of wild turkeys here. That same time as mentioned above, about 10 years ago, my wife was telling her sister who now lives in Ohio about all of the turkeys we had and about the 50 or so in the yard that morning. The wife's sister and her family were coming to visit just a few weeks later.
We have a neighbor that likes to keep a few exotic animals, nothing crazy, but she had some Rheas (similar to an ostrich-pic below) at that time that she kept in a field directly across from our driveway which is about 1/4 mile long. Just about dusk, my SIL and her husband show up and he has a look of shock on his face. He turned to me and said, I knew there were wild turkeys around here, but on our way in, I just saw the biggest damn Turkey I have ever seen in my life.......

Rhea-bird-2-1120x700.jpg

FYI even on a really broke horse it is extremely difficult if not impossible to rope an EMU.

The only other place I have seen turkeys with as much color variation as ours was Noxubee Forest in Mississippi.
I have often wondered if the state got their seed stock from there.

Attachments

• 67C0C841-6BEC-4511-90F1-679EFB9B9F26.jpeg
    67C0C841-6BEC-4511-90F1-679EFB9B9F26.jpeg
    577.4 KB · Views: 12
FYI even on a really broke horse it is extremely difficult if not impossible to rope an EMU.
One of the neighbor's birds died and the other eventually jumped a 5 ft. fence. The one that broke free roamed around the area in different fields for a couple of months because there was no way that it was going to be herded or caught. I have no idea whatever happened to it, but it was just gone one day.