Tumor

Help Support CattleToday:

jwggriff

Reaction score
I went out yesterday and noticed a fist size tumor on the outside of the jaw of my Longhorn Steer. He is about 5 years old. It does not seem to be affecting him any, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with something like this. His temperament has not changed, and he is eating good. It looks like it is on or just below the rear of the jaw line. I am calling the vet tomorrow but just curious as to what it could be. Hopefully you can see the below pic. Thanks.

http://ranchers.net/photopost/uploads/4398/tumor.jpg

Get the animal in the head gate and check it out. If the lump is attached to the bone...lumpy jaw...might as well ship or freezer it. if it breaks open can infect other cows when the puss drains on hay, waterer or pasture. IF caught early enough a vet can treat with an IV of iodine. If you have a lump jaw case, reassess your mineral. Iodine deficency is a cause.
Lumpy jaw affects the bone by eating at the bone and creating a honey comb look.
If the lump is free moving, find a soft spot and lance and drain...give a course of antiboitics
Final thing to check, open the mouth and see if there is a stick or barely awn or something that has punctured the mouth. Flush with a weak tea bedadine solution

Well the vet arrived and confirmed it was a cyst. He lanced and drained it, gave some antibiotics. Steer should be fine within a week or so. Thanks for all the advice!

Latest posts