Tuerong Park Igor Murray Grey

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
Does anyone have any knowledge of this bull? Any links to pictures or Epd's? How are his feet, dispositin, etc? I found him listed at Universal semen sales, but no picture. BTW he's the cheapest bull on the MG list- any obvious reason for this??
My Ai guy has some semen on him, that's the only MG bull he has. He recomended him as a good heifer bull, so far he's liked the calves from him.
I'd be using him on my Hereford heifer.

Thanks!
Susie

EPD's:Name/ID Birth
Weight Weaning
Weight Yearling
Weight Milk Total
Maternal Scrotal
Circ. Calving
Ease Mat Calving
Ease
TUERONG PARK IGOR +0.4 +5 +16 +6 +9 +0.50 +1.4 -0.3
Average EPDs for all Calves born in 2003 +2.3 +13 +20 +3 - - - -

It's not copying very well. You can find information about him at http://WWW.murraygreybeefcattle.com. This is the link to the American Murray Grey Association. I'm thinking we have used him, but it was during the years that I was not here. I will verify that with Dad, and find out what he thought of the calves when they get back home. Hope this helps.

Thank you! There are so many Hurray Grey Associations, hard to know where the information is.
Interesting that he was calved in 1969, wonder how the breed has changed in the last 35 years ...?
Looking forward to hearing about his calves.
Thanks again,
Susie

susie":ns0fe26m said:
Thank you! There are so many Hurray Grey Associations, hard to know where the information is.
Interesting that he was calved in 1969, wonder how the breed has changed in the last 35 years ...?
Looking forward to hearing about his calves.
Thanks again,
Susie

From what I've seen, it has only gotten better!

Here are 2 pictures of an IGOR bull calf born on Sunday Feb 18. He wieghed in at 89lbs. Incidentely the thermomemter reading when he was born was -22C (about -10F). Pictures were taken on Tuesday Feb 20.
IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

susie":2xt6vbqa said:
Does anyone have any knowledge of this bull? Any links to pictures or Epd's? How are his feet, dispositin, etc? I found him listed at Universal semen sales, but no picture. BTW he's the cheapest bull on the MG list- any obvious reason for this??
My Ai guy has some semen on him, that's the only MG bull he has. He recomended him as a good heifer bull, so far he's liked the calves from him.
I'd be using him on my Hereford heifer.

Thanks!
Susie

I have used him (Igor) on some of my commercial cows just experimenting and I like Ulysses also carried by Universal a lot better. But they have yet to out perform my reg. cattle.

What type of cattle you running TSR?

I find the number of sires for which semen is available one of the main shortcomings of the Murray Grey breed. Also a lot of the available sires are older (not necessarily bad) and many of the sires at universal seem to be too large framed for my tastes.

The Murray Grey breed has changed a bit over the years. They still figure highly in carcase and steer comps here in Australia. There for a while the breed seemed to be getting a bit light boned and frame scores went down. A few of the photos that are starting to be posted on these boards have improved out of sight since the first few that were posted, US ones I mean.
Ask the other Australian on the boards Keren,she shows them and sees many more than I do each day. They are popular as vealer producers (sold straight off the cow)They are easy calvers. The one reason I don't like them I have seen them running on coastal country (leached out soils,native grasses) they never do as well as even Hereford. Herefords don't perform well in that environment. Hence the use of Bos Indicus in a lot of coastal operations. In good country Murray Greys do as well as any other British breed.
A comment above re the calf looking like a Charolais Angus has been raised on many occasions over here. One of our neighbours has pure Charolais over pure Angus and some of them look like Murray Greys. Some unscrupulous MG breeders are belive to have instilled some Charolais into their MGs,but this is not common practice as most are committed breeders and do not want to jeopardize the breeds easy calving reputation. Murray Greys crossed with South Devon make great steers.I have purchase SD cows in calf to MG and was very pleased with the steer progeny.
Thats my 2 cents worth.
Colin

Beautiful calf Kevin. For those that might be interested,
at http://www.murraygrey.org on the "for sale" page there
are two listings of semen available. That is the site
for Murray Grey International. - but you are right in that there's not much selection through the traditional semen companies.

You can fing more info of Igor's Australian calves etc by going to

http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-bin/i ... 9=5E5A5058

From what I can figure he would be a good bull for heifers. There have been a lot of MG semen go to Nth America over the years. I would say most is with individual breeders and not AI companies. If you are looking for semen to breed to your cows try getting semen in Lindsay Starbright S117. It was exported into Canada as far as I am aware is also in US.

Go to http://www.wallawong.com.au/STUDSIRES.htm for a picture.

There are many more modern MG sires that would have better growth data than Igor.

Good luck on your search.

I haven't seen alot of Mg's but I saw some crossed on Limo cows looked very good. That Starbright bull is hard not to like no matter what breed of cattle you run.

James Family Farming":2o6iyx5f said:
If you are looking for semen to breed to your cows try getting semen in Lindsay Starbright S117. It was exported into Canada as far as I am aware is also in US.

I was involved in the importing of the Lindsay Starbright semen into Canada. I do not believe any semen was made available to the US, but I could be wrong. I still use STARBRIGHT, although my herd is predominately made up of Starbright daughters. I still have many straws available in my tank, if anyone from Canada is interested.

Kevin.

James Family Farming":15ji3q4t said:
cspv16_B2.jpg

Above: A typical Starbright Calf

lsys117b.jpg

Starbright as an 8yr old

Those are some IMPRESSIVE animals.

Michele

gberry":1l6e1wxm said:
What type of cattle you running TSR?

I find the number of sires for which semen is available one of the main shortcomings of the Murray Grey breed. Also a lot of the available sires are older (not necessarily bad) and many of the sires at universal seem to be too large framed for my tastes.

Those particular cows were a British White and a Charolais/Brangus cross. I have also never seen the so-called super docility that some breeders of the Mgrey tout. They are just average in docility imo.
My registered cattle are Angus.

Of course bigger framed cows can have bigger calves without
problems. I've heard that in northern areas cows are
generally bigger than in southern areas. We would really
worry if we expected 89 lb calves because our cows are
not big enough to handle that most likely; certainly not our
heifers. We hope for 65 to 75 lb heifer calves and high
60's to not over 80 lbs for bull calves.

We've AI'd and have embryos implanted from a "new" sire
and are expecting his first calves this spring: rockliffe patron
from Tazmania, born 1979. He has a perfect genestar
score on DNA tenderness genes and also two of the original
"stars" on marbling--have not retested for the newer
marbling factors. He's a frame 5 and reportedly low
birthweight---we shall see:

R_Patron.jpg

Latest posts