Tube feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
After having fought with the flexible plastic tube esophogeal feeders for years I used one with a stnls steel tube. I rpomptly threw out the old one and bought one of the steel ones. The whole process with the rigid tube is quicker, easier and less traumatic to the calf. I guess if you tube a lot getting the hang of the flexible type would come in time. I tube once or twice a year then won;t have to do it again for many years. Without a lot of practice, the steel one is so much easier to do.
Of course I'm old and fumbly, but anything that makes a very unpleasent task simpler sure "shines" as far as I'm concerned

dun

I am using a steel/plunger type feeder right now on the 'dummy' calf. It works a lot easier for me too, since I am doing it by myself and the calf has enough energy to fight me.

I've found that even with them laying down it works slick, unlike the other types.

dun

This is true, although do you thing if they are laying down there is more of a chance of getting it into their lungs? I try to have her standing, but the 1st couple of days she was too weak to stand much.

That's why I like the rigid one. Didn't have any problems with it because it doesn;t want to wander around once you get it started down the throat. With the plastic ones I alwasy had to have them standing, which can be a real challenge when they're limp as a rag. The calfsickle heifer was just to weak to get up and trying to hold her up and still manipulate the tuber was a challenge far beyond my limited skills. The vet loaned me his and I used it once, then promptly ordered one for my self.

dun

i have a plastic bag with a plastic hose, but the last 18" or so of it is hard plastic.. i dont have any problems munipulating it, but you know how that goes... until you try something better.. sometimes you dont know any better ..

jt

jt":1zpi5o0k said:
i have a plastic bag with a plastic hose, but the last 18" or so of it is hard plastic.. i dont have any problems munipulating it, but you know how that goes... until you try something better.. sometimes you dont know any better ..

jt

If the part that actually goes into the calf is stiff/rigid/not bendable, that would work the same as the stainless ones. My old one was about like spegetthi cooked for 3 minutes, a bit to supple to use easily. (For me anyway)

dun

dun":2ukcehx6 said:
jt":2ukcehx6 said:

jt

If the part that actually goes into the calf is stiff/rigid/not bendable, that would work the same as the stainless ones. My old one was about like spegetthi cooked for 3 minutes, a bit to supple to use easily. (For me anyway)

dun

yes, it is pretty rigid.. works well for me and i have used it more than i care to, too...

jt

Used to find the sets that had not only a ridgid tube but also a ridgid bottle as well, the new ones on the market with the cheap plastic bags just dont last long with any use, and don't even age well, while put up. :cboy: Sure wish i could find the older type these days.

Medic24":372byzv4 said:
Used to find the sets that had not only a ridgid tube but also a ridgid bottle as well, the new ones on the market with the cheap plastic bags just dont last long with any use, and don't even age well, while put up. :cboy: Sure wish i could find the older type these days.

i agree... the plastic bag on mine is definitely a disappointment.

jt

The one we have has the stiffer tubing.. like mentioned in the previous posts, it's a lot easier to manipulate. I was a little worried at first because it wasn't more flexible, and thought it would pose more of a risk for injury, but it works great. I especially like the little blue "ball" on the end of the tubing. Makes it virutally impossible (well, except maybe for ME) to get it into the lungs instead of the stomach.

The "bag" on this one is very easy to handle. It's made out of material similar to whta they make calf bottles out of.

I've never heard or seen one with stainless tubing. I would think that would be TOO rigid. But like everything in life, it's what you get used to and feel comfortable working with.

Wish I could throw mine out!

Dun, yours must be older than dirt - I haven't even seen one that isn't hard plastic on the insertion end.
We have two different ones. The one I use is the hard plastic tube (with the blue ball on the end) attached directly to a hard plastic bottle. I bend the tube in half right at the bottle connection & can hold the bottle & tube in one hand & insert the tube - no milk can flow until I unfold the bottle & tube.
My husband uses a stainless steel probe with several feet of plastic hose attached to a hard bottle. He can set the bottle on the ground, insert the tube, than pick the bottle up high enough to get the milk flowing. Way to hard for me to hold my arm up in the air while holding a calf.

Also, a comment on a calf laying down. Sometimes it's near impossible not to do it while they are laying down, BUT, it's not so much the problem of getting it into the wrong place, as it is that the pressure on their stomachs can make the milk "back up" into the lungs. At least, that's what I have been told.
Ken's big & can get their head up between his knees even if their butts sitting on the ground & get get it done that way if they can't stand. Not me, most of the calves weigh 2/3 my weight & get knock me over. I usually do it in a corner of the pen where I can grab onto the feeder or gate to brace myself, plus I back their butts up into the corner to keep them corraled.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":bs1hxeqm said:
Dun, yours must be older than dirt - I haven't even seen one that isn't hard plastic on the insertion end.
We have two different ones. The one I use is the hard plastic tube (with the blue ball on the end) attached directly to a hard plastic bottle. I bend the tube in half right at the bottle connection & can hold the bottle & tube in one hand & insert the tube - no milk can flow until I unfold the bottle & tube.
My husband uses a stainless steel probe with several feet of plastic hose attached to a hard bottle. He can set the bottle on the ground, insert the tube, than pick the bottle up high enough to get the milk flowing. Way to hard for me to hold my arm up in the air while holding a calf.

Also, a comment on a calf laying down. Sometimes it's near impossible not to do it while they are laying down, BUT, it's not so much the problem of getting it into the wrong place, as it is that the pressure on their stomachs can make the milk "back up" into the lungs. At least, that's what I have been told.
Ken's big & can get their head up between his knees even if their butts sitting on the ground & get get it done that way if they can't stand. Not me, most of the calves weigh 2/3 my weight & get knock me over. I usually do it in a corner of the pen where I can grab onto the feeder or gate to brace myself, plus I back their butts up into the corner to keep them corraled.

The plastic tube is more supple then the piece that you fold over to shut off the milk. It's also got a curve in it from the memory of the spool that it was cut off of. I've soaked it in boiling water and cooled it straight. Within a little while it's got that curve in it again. I'ld rather have an unclean yak sit on my face then use that accursed thing.

dun

Latest posts