True? Local slaughter houses won't take 2 yr old cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
That's what I was told yesterday by a nieghbor--that none of the local processors will take a heifer, cow, steer or bull over 2 years old.
I've never heard of this--anyone know if it's true and why?
BSE concerns?

Why not call a couple of them and check it out? Over 30 months there is a problem with with, or was a couple of years ago.

Neighbor next door just had a cow done, she broke a leg so they came out and killed her and took her back to the facility to process. No problems. And it is a USDA facility (we had our birds done there). When we drop off a steer to process they always ask if he is older than 30 months, but always answer no (most of our steers are 14 to 16 months old).

They claimed a fat heifer was 30 months and charged me an extra $100 for mad cow inspection.
I had the heifer in with the wearers, free choice feed to fatten her up. Some of the calves nursed her as a pacifier. She had no udder but they claimed she had raised a calf, was over 30 mos. and tacked on the $100. Never went back to them after that.

It has always been my opinion that pour on dewormer is responsible for mad cow. Never had it before then. The mc outbreak in England came only after their Ministry of Ag demanded that all cattle be wormed with pour on, to double the does and frequency. The pour on works on the central nervous system of the parasites. I believe repeated use over a period of time may possible affect the central nervous system of the host.
Cornell University once had a page discussing that theory.

2 of the facilities that I have used in the past, will process a bovine over the age of 30 months for an extra fee....a hefty extra fee....and one will NOT get back any of the bone-in cuts involving the spinal column. One outfit I know of will NOT take an animal over 30 months. 2 of the processors are USDA inspected. One is not. 2 of the facilities require some form of proof/documentation of the animal's age.

On a side note, the rendering plant (That serves most of Va),Valley Proteins, stopped taking dead cattle (of any age) about 2 or so years ago. They will still take dead horses, goats and pigs (not sure of sheep). (that is what it said in the flyer they sent out).

Katherine

My local WI one day a week kill place is state inspected. I get a over 30 month old charge of $30. Otherwise no problems with older cattle. I have cull cows ground up all the time.

As previously stated, it's got to do with FDA requirements (driven by foreign trade agreements) on those folks processing cattle over 30 months of age - and rendering services.
We had to deal with it here at the lab back in 2009, and the requirements were so onerous - keeping offal/carcass from all overage cattle separate from everything else, separate, different barrels, having to paint all surfaces of overage carcasses with indelible ink - and opening yourself up to unannounced FDA inspection, with fines up to $150,000/violation - that we decided to just incinerate or landfill all material we generated.
It was so onerous that the renderer in our area stopped any deadstock pickup - and refuses to accept cattle over 30 months of age delivered to the plant.
One local custom-kill processor does not accept cattle over 30 months any longer, the others just charge an additional $50/hd - and you don't get any bone-in cuts from the spinal column.

We generally donate at least one cull cow to the local Salvation Army soup kitchen every year - have her ground up into hamburger; the extra $50 is a pain, but not a deal-killer. Not sure it costs the processor an extra $50 to handle 'em and dispose of the offal, but they do have to do things the way they're mandated.

Latest posts