True Grit - Seedstock

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":26wniz7b said:
Bright Raven":26wniz7b said:
True Grit Farms":26wniz7b said:
Can you imagine what the price of seedstock would be without the small operation?

Vince: how do you define seedstock? You put me in that category this morning with that comment about double edge sword. Why do you say I do "tremendous" damage?

http://www.thebeefsite.com/articles/193 ... seedstock/
This is pretty much defines how I feel. Or whenever you sell something to someone for breeding purposes.
The tremendous damage is two fold, price and quality. Your not as worried about phenotype - traits as you should be for the betterment of the breed. Your more into the docility - show aspect which is a great way to find buyers, most everyone likes to pet, brush and lead cattle. Docility is important but can never make up for the lack of proper phenotype - traits. Using the proper or in proper traits - phenotype types last along time in a commercial herd.

Where you use the term phenotype, I prefer the term trait. For example: the quality of a cow's feet, udder, docility, marbling, etc. Those are traits: a genetically determined characteristic. To characterize me ad not "worried" about traits is untrue! I do put emphasis on docility but not to the exclusion of any other trait.

dun":2wrgu7ji said:
callmefence":2wrgu7ji said:
What's wrong with a working man who is lucky enough to get to do this letting his cattle work for him. Americans do eat hamburger you know. I must have to much to do. I don't worry much about others run their business.
I personally have no problem with whatever quality cattle someone wants ro raise. What POs me is when they then complain because someone raising better quality more in demand cattle get more at sale time.

I feel the same way.

dun":u8rt8r31 said:
callmefence":u8rt8r31 said:
What's wrong with a working man who is lucky enough to get to do this letting his cattle work for him. Americans do eat hamburger you know. I must have to much to do. I don't worry much about others run their business.
I personally have no problem with whatever quality cattle someone wants ro raise. What POs me is when they then complain because someone raising better quality more in demand cattle get more at sale time.

That's fair enough

dun":276evr57 said:
callmefence":276evr57 said:

Around here that's usually because they got screwed at the barn; not known at the barn; not in the clique; not the right color, etc. Not because they brought junk to the sale.

Ok, I have a situation for you all. I bought a registered heifer of breeding age, lets call her Princess, put her in with a bull and a few other heifers. Everyone gets bred except for Princess. She goes back to the breeder, who has a set amount of time to get her bred. She sneaks in under the wire on the breeding timeframe, and comes back home to me as 2nd stage bred. A couple months later she has a very premature dead calf. According to breed association rules, the breeder is in the clear. Should he stand behind her, or wash his hands of the situation? We now have a three year old heifer who obviously has some problems, so she's just expensive hamburger. What's the right thing for the breeder to do?

The right thing would be in my opinion to take her back. But legally you are probably stuck with her.

Clodhopper":3r1j3ie4 said:
Ok, I have a situation for you all. I bought a registered heifer of breeding age, lets call her Princess, put her in with a bull and a few other heifers. Everyone gets bred except for Princess. She goes back to the breeder, who has a set amount of time to get her bred. She sneaks in under the wire on the breeding timeframe, and comes back home to me as 2nd stage bred. A couple months later she has a very premature dead calf. According to breed association rules, the breeder is in the clear. Should he stand behind her, or wash his hands of the situation? We now have a three year old heifer who obviously has some problems, so she's just expensive hamburger. What's the right thing for the breeder to do?

That's a tough one right there. There's plenty of things that will cause a cow to abort a calf. My take is if the customer isn't happy something needs to be done to rectify the situation.

Would he offer a partial credit towards another heifer with the same guarantee?

Will you try this heifer again?

I'd consider testing her for neospora.

TennesseeTuxedo":28pat33n said:
Stanford777":28pat33n said:
It takes all kinds of kinds. Democrats, Republicans, cross dressers, and cowboys.

I could do without cross dressing Democrats.

:clap:

At least not in line of sight. :nod:

True Grit Farms":7oz6g1x1 said:
Clodhopper":7oz6g1x1 said:

That's a tough one right there. There's plenty of things that will cause a cow to abort a calf. My take is if the customer isn't happy something needs to be done to rectify the situation.
It's not just an aborted calf. She didn't breed when everyone around her did. She should have a weaned calf by now, and be bred for number two, so she's two calves behind.

The breeder says he is going to give us another bred heifer or cow. I was just wanting to see what the reaction was to the situation.

I believe you are correct in your thoughts on pleasing the customer. My cousin sold a nice calm bull a few years back. He bred everything and threw nice calves, but then he started getting ornery. The buyer was injured in a construction accident, and isn't real agile. The bull knocked him down and was acting aggressive on a regular basis. The guy calls my cousin, so he took him back and they worked out a deal for a new bull. Cousin didn't have to, the bull was a good breeder, but he did what was right.

Latest posts