Truck saddle tank as farm diesel tank

Help Support CattleToday:

kb5iod

Reaction score
I acquired a saddle tank off of a big truck that I want to use as a portable farm diesel tank. How is the best way to mount a pump to the tank? Do you drill a separate hole and if so should it be on the round part or on one of the ends which is flat? I was told there are baffles inside the tank to prevent fuel from moving around. Is there anything to watch out for regarding the baffles and mounting the pump? Thanks

Have a friend who uses a few of these. He installs a schrader valve on them and pumps them up with air. He doesn't need a pump, the air pressure pushes the fuel from the tank.

Just make sure the tank outlet is on the bottom, or a pipe goes to the bottom from the top outlet..

MikeC":q214aq49 said:
Have a friend who uses a few of these. He installs a schrader valve on them and pumps them up with air. He doesn't need a pump, the air pressure pushes the fuel from the tank.

Just make sure the tank outlet is on the bottom, or a pipe goes to the bottom from the top outlet..

This is what I do too, but I have a pressure regulator set at 10 psi on the air line. (be very carefull not to put to much air pressure to it or it can blow up like a bomb.) My tank is a steel one as well.

My tank has a 1/2 inch pipe thread hole in each end, I use one of these for the output. Mine also has a 3/8" tap at the top that I use for the air.

KenB":3i3sfdow said:
MikeC":3i3sfdow said:

This is what I do too, but I have a pressure regulator set at 10 psi on the air line. (be very carefull not to put to much air pressure to it or it can blow up like a bomb.) My tank is a steel one as well.

My tank has a 1/2 inch pipe thread hole in each end, I use one of these for the output. Mine also has a 3/8" tap at the top that I use for the air.

Good idea that pressure regulator. Air/Fuel tanks are used quite a bit around here. Have a friend that digs ponds with a 9200 series JD that pulls 2 - 20 yard pans. Needless to say he uses a lot of fuel.

Anyway... he has a 500 gallon propane tank set up on a trailer to fuel the tractor. Said he built it in 1958. He fills it halfway full of fuel each morning, adds 100 psi of air and has enough pressure to empty the tank without adding more air.

MikeC":7bom6n93 said:
KenB":7bom6n93 said:
MikeC":7bom6n93 said:

Good idea that pressure regulator. Air/Fuel tanks are used quite a bit around here. Have a friend that digs ponds with a 9200 series JD that pulls 2 - 20 yard pans. Needless to say he uses a lot of fuel.

Anyway... he has a 500 gallon propane tank set up on a trailer to fuel the tractor. Said he built it in 1958. He fills it halfway full of fuel each morning, adds 100 psi of air and has enough pressure to empty the tank without adding more air

Propane tanks are made for that kind of pressure, truck fuel tanks are not.

way back when, my dad used to have an old oliver combine that was gasoline powered. We had an old chevy truck with two saddle tanks, and dad used one to pump fuel up to the combine the same way. The truck had air brakes, and he had a lever under the dash to flip to pressureize the passenger side saddle tank. I'm pretty sure it had a pressure regulator on it too, but I dont' know what it was set at.

Latest posts